Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

40% Tax on Goods Imported into the USA - What would it mean for guitars?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ I remember the US govt trying to pass something similar for Harley Davidson and them saying they didn't need it.

Comment

What about non-Union manufacturing like we have down South? The quality on the non-Union built Toyotas (for example, I don't own/would never buy a Toyota) seem to have a reputation for high quality?

There are some exceptions to the rule - guess you didn't read that, last sentence, first paragraph. In fact when I typed that I was thinking Toyota. I worked for Toyota/Lexus for 7 years, I'm well aware of their American factories and joint manufacturing ventures. Some came out better than others. Look at the parent company though the engineering, and lack of unions, that is a hue factor in the continuing quality of those vehicles. Location as well -- I believe people in the south have more pride in the work they do than jaded northerners - at least in the blue collar segment of the population but it is slipping in the south as well, many Americans are just becoming fat and lazy in general. While that comment might sting a lot of you, I absolutely believe that it's a true statement. I had a guy move down from Minnesota to work for me in the 80s. Great guy, but he was a member of a union up there. Work habits were just terrible. He adapted and over time became of my best guys and in fact took my place when I left the company, but man getting that lazy union mentality out of him was a pain in the ass to work through and he eventually saw the light. As you can guess, I think most unions had a place at one time but outlived their usefulness. Many are now there to be self serving and line their own pockets and have power, not all, but again the majority.

I knew a couple of guys that worked for the local GM factory here in Texas - just wow. Was amazing what they got away with lol. I was much younger and thought it was pretty cool, but damn looking back on it they were leveraging the system to the best of their ability and doing as little as possible. And they chalked it all up to their union!
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="Blue">Brian H. - GBT #261, Super Awesome Gibson VM Les Paul Club, SG Army, Epiphone Empire</font><br />
      <br />
      <font size="2">Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Orthodox-Fuzz/42343910769?ref=ts" target="_blank">Orthodox Fuzz</a> </font><br />
      <font size="2">Reverbnation: <a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/orthodoxfuzz" target="_blank">Orthodox Fuzz</a> </font><br />
      <font size="2">Twitter: <a href="http://twitter.com/orthodoxfuzz" target="_blank">Orthodox Fuzz</a> </font><br />
      <br />
      <font size="1">Main Gear: Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute, Gibson Les Paul VM, Gibson Faded Flying V, Epi Les Paul Custom, 77 Ibanez 2350CS Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton II, Orange Rockerverb 100, Orange PPC412 cab, Sunn (O))) Enforcer head, 70s Sunn 4x12, Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo</font></div>

Comment

If you think that current prices for Gibson (or anything else for that matter) will hold with a 40% import tax, you're dreaming. The import stuff will be more expensive, and the USA stuff will be expensive.

The protectionism experiment has been tried many, many times over the years, with the same results.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">Fender Am Std P5 Bass, Modified Squier P4, GB Shuttle 6, GK MB200<br />
        Warmoth Strat, Gibson LP DC, Edwards E-LP-98LTS<br />
        Various home-made amps/pedals, Lopo Line cabs</div>

Comment

Interesting. A UN study found that the US had the most productive workers of anywhere.

The sad thing is that the skills needed to work in manufacturing seem to be in much shorter supply these days.

When I was little tons of mills were open around where I lived. Everything from shoes to jeans to clocks to candy was made where I grew up. After NAFTA everything moved down south then to Mexico.

'Blue Collar' is a term that I'm not exactly sure exists that much today.

Comment

I do think some sort of import tariff does need to go into effect, though i can only imagine the international relations nightmare that would come of it..

have not seen you around in a while BG76, good to see you.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="left"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><font color="royalblue"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=41200050" target="_blank">2x4 Telecaster build</a> - | - <a href="http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=004080900652691008906rqykr38524" target="_blank">killer HC search</a></font></font></font><br />
            </div></div>

Comment

Not even getting into things like a trade war, etc.. the net effect would be much poorer Americans. Sure, we'd have more American made goods, but the prices on just about everything we buy would go up significantly. That means we'd have a lot less disposable income and the things we'd buy what that disposable income would cost a lot more. When you have little to no extra money to spend and the budget guitars now cost $600, how many are you going to buy? This will also hurt guitar sales and put people out of business and cost jobs too.

Protectionism doesn't work out the way some people think it will.

Comment

I have an economics degree, so here's my general take:

Foreign guitar prices will rise obviously due to the tariff. People will tend to buy used guitars instead of foreign guitars, pushing their prices up and making them harder to find. Domestic guitars will rise in price due to higher parts costs from Asia, and eventually higher demand may push prices up even higher.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2">Guitar Rig: Musicman Silhouette -&gt; Cool Cat Transparent OD -&gt; Fender Mustang I (Twin model)<br />
                Drum Rig: Mapex Pro M's, Saluda Mists, Evans heads</font></div>

Comment

I have an economics degree, so here's my general take:

Foreign guitar prices will rise obviously due to the tariff. People will tend to buy used guitars instead of foreign guitars, pushing their prices up and making them harder to find. Domestic guitars will rise in price due to higher parts costs from Asia, and eventually higher demand may push prices up even higher.

my cat could have told me that. now put that economics degree to use and fix the economy!
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">---<br />
                  1959 is dead<br />
                  <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2933739-5-years-fo-work-and-all-i-got-was-a-dark-blurry-picture....&amp;p=46436574#post46436574" target="_blank">http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...4#post46436574</a><br />
                  ---</div>

Comment

If you want to see nothing but ridiculously high prices for guitars, put a 40% tariff on imports. All it will do is increase the price we pay for guitars in the US--both foreign and american made.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">If the neighbors complain because the music is too loud, turn it up so you can't hear them bitch..... 89 YJM Strat Modified, Martin D-41, 87 Fender P-bass, 97 Ash Strat, 2007 57 Reissue strat, Warmoth fretless P-Bass, and all kinds of cool gimmicks to make it sound like I know how to play.</div>

Comment

my cat could have told me that

My cat wrote his doctoral thesis on this exact topic, with more of an emphasis on the ways it would impact imported tuna.

Comment

if prices will rise i'd rather see it happen because low paid foreign labor gets unionized..
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="left"><font face="Arial"><font size="2"><font color="royalblue"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=41200050" target="_blank">2x4 Telecaster build</a> - | - <a href="http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=004080900652691008906rqykr38524" target="_blank">killer HC search</a></font></font></font><br />
                        </div></div>

Comment

It will never happen. We are too dependent on goods from China given to us on credit
                          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Can somebody give me a hand with all this talent?&quot;</div>

Comment

All the coutries we trade with impose tariffs on american goods. I think we should match whatever tariffs they impose on american products.

Comment

Suicide attempt, fail.

Comment

My cat wrote his doctoral thesis on this exact topic, with more of an emphasis on the ways it would impact imported tuna.

That cat is sitting on a table, sitting at a table. That just blew my mind
                                <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Can somebody give me a hand with all this talent?&quot;</div>

Comment

Working...
                                X