NXD (New Xaviere XV440 Day) and Short Review

Woody_in_MN

• Members

So when I saw GFS was having a blem sale, and I saw this LP Special wanna be w/ P90's I could not resist. I promised a couple people I would post impressions - so here goes.

THE GOOD:

The XV440 came doubled boxed. This was thoughtful. The overall finish was pretty good. The tuners are good quality. All the controls worked. I have heard some complaints lately about GFS hardware, but the bridge is good. I had to set the intonation and it was easy with the bridge/saddle hardware. The blems were not too pronounced (this was a "B" stock.) After adjusting the truss, and bridge it is a pretty good player. It is light - I see that as a plus. I liked the looks.

THE BAD:

Well there is some bad. The blems are not huge - but there are more of them then I expected. I get a string buzz on a couple strings. I don't hear this coming thru when plugged in, but it is still a little annoying. Intonation was not set - but I kind of expected that. Strings had to be replaced right away. It probably had been sitting in a warehouse for a few months. Really my biggest complaint is the PUP's. With Alnico P90's I expected if nothing else, the PUP's would be killer. Well they are not. I played the XV440 back to back with a SX GG1 Jr. I had, and I like the PUP's better on the SX. By quite a bit actually. In fact I like the neck on the SX better too. Insult to injury, the SX was cheaper.

VERDICT:

I just am not sure about this guy. The ergos work. I like the weight. The blems I can live with. If the PUP's had been really solid, I think I could forgive many of the other shortcomings - but they are not remarkable PUP's. The are OK - that is as much praise as I can give them. I think this is a better guitar than the Epi Les Paul Specail II - but I don't think it is better than the Epi LP Jr. (I know - 1 PUP vs. 2 - but still). Kind of comparing it to another P90 cheapie - WMS had a blowout on the Indonesian Hamer Gold Tops w/ 90's, and really, I think that is much better of a guitar. Because the blems were more than I expected, I am contacting GFS about a further discount. If I get the discount, I expect I will keep it. If not it will probably go back. Don't get me wrong, it is not an awful guitar - it is just not a great one.

pics...

XV440_1.JPG

XV440_2.JPG

XV440_3.JPG

XV440_4.JPG

• Members

Thanks, man! Too bad about the pups. However, I always expect them to be weak link in a cheapie import. I'm usually happy with GFS pickups but haven't heard much good about their P90s. If I were planning to replace the pups anyways, would it be worth it?

• Members

Thanks, man! Too bad about the pups. However, I always expect them to be weak link in a cheapie import. I'm usually happy with GFS pickups but haven't heard much good about their P90s. If I were planning to replace the pups anyways, would it be worth it?

For me the sting buzz is annoying. But you might get one that does not have that. If so, it might be worth it, if you like the color, the looks, etc.. The thing with me is, I CAN swap PUP's - but I don't enjoy that kind of work. So now if I'm paying a luthier to swap PUP's - now you add what? $50 - $60 buck s to the price of the guitar? Plus the cost of decent PUP's? I guess you add that all up and decide.

• Members

For me the sting buzz is annoying. But you might get one that does not have that. If so, it might be worth it, if you like the color, the looks, etc.. The thing with me is, I CAN swap PUP's - but I don't enjoy that kind of work. So now if I'm paying a luthier to swap PUP's - now you add what? $50 - $60 buck s to the price of the guitar? Plus the cost of decent PUP's? I guess you add that all up and decide.

Thanks! I actually enjoy swapping out pups and ALWAYS replace the strings and do a full setup on any guitar new to me.

• Members

Yeah definitely.

I was actually just browsing the rondo site thinking about how much I wish they still had the GG1's and saw this guy

http://www.rondomusic.com/classicna.html

classicna5.jpg

I like the wraparound on it

People talk about the giles - how nice they are for the money. I actually think the SX's are bigger bang for the buck. I love the natural. My SX GG1 Jr is a dark natural.

• Members

Guys - just a follow up on the CS part of this. I got a reply back from "support" at GFS. In so many words they aren't gonna do any credits. But I later sent a note to Jay, and he must have forwarded it to a John who does CS on Xavaire. John sounds like he is willing to work something out.

BTW - I hear you guys on PUP height. I have been plahying with that. Actaully I played it last night thru the Mustang II, and it sounded pretty good. I should check the height on the SX - cause that sounds really good to me.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

• Members

Thanks for the review...I was considering getting one of 4 guitars, an SX, an Agile AL-2000, a P90 Xaviere, or another project from GFS. This helps narrow my decision. I already crossed off the Agile because of the weight etc. and now the Xaviere because of the P90's.

I'm not a P90 guy as it is but i've always wanted to try em out.

• Members

Well I think I made my decision. I tried moving PUP height - up, down, in the middle it does not matter. The PUP's are OK clean - but put any kind of gain on it, and the PUP's sound like mud - especially the bridge PUP. It is going back. I think I can only get store credit - but I'm sending it back.

• Members

Good move.

That Rondo one looks really nice and I usually don't like their guitars.

When you buy a guitar like that you're being penny wise and pound foolish. Instead look to the used market and get something that is either a better guitar right out of the box or one that has decent hardware and electronics.

• Members

I too am having issues with one of these. I ordered one in sunburst and I'm very disappointed. Pickup issues, bad switch, unseated frets. I'm still going round and round with "customer service".

The description on the website is this:

"Our recent production run had a few too many small cosmetic defects- Just finish stuff- little bits of clear coat misapplied- a few sloppy areas- Really not a big deal. BUT- we were able to work with our partners to kick back enough money to BLOW these out!

You

• Members

Yeah definitely.

I was actually just browsing the rondo site thinking about how much I wish they still had the GG1's and saw this guy

http://www.rondomusic.com/classicna.html

classicna5.jpg

I like the wraparound on it

For under $150 new [not blems] that looks like a pretty sweet score.

I always look at a guitar from a construction POV. Woodworking, neck, frets, etc. Electronics are always a secondary consideration as I always seem to replace them anyway. I've not found many factory pups, etc. to my liking on expensive guitars and certainly wouldn't expect anything stellar on a cheap import.

That said, sorry to hear about your woes Woody. I seem to recall you were reluctant to order another GFS guitar as you've been disappointed in the past. Hope the store credit works out for you, but you will likely have to eat return shipping so maybe a pup swap, considered in that light, would be worth taking another look at if you are happy with the "guitar" part.

But if you don't bond, you don't bond.

• Members

Sounds like they have a crappy production facility cranking out blems

then trying to unload them in a coat of misleading info.

Not Cool.

???

"I don't like the pickups" is hardly an indictment for misleading info. Sounds like the guitars was structurally as advertised.

Archived