what they DON'T tell you about CTS pots

hahavishnu

• Members

I recently switched to Fantasy brand pots. They aren't cheap at $1,000,000 each, but the gnomes in Mojoland build each one by hand and sprinkle them liberally with the rarest pixie dust. Guaranteed to improve tone eleventy million percent.

Totally worth it.

EG

This totally made me :lol:

• Members

I just replaced some bad pots with some CTS pots and they are a bit stiff because even checking a brand new, never been soldered one there is some resistance to it vs a good old broken in scratchy, worn out pot.

Supposedly if you want something that will move with no effort you should look into Bourns pots. I believe that the new EVH signature pots (yes, I'm serious) are Bourns low friction pots and aren't too ridiculously priced considering it's got his logo on them.

• Members

Are you kidding? I understand that when you're talking about something made from a bunch of seperate parts like a guitar that there is going to be a pretty wide range of variance, but these things are spit out of a frickin machine and are comprised of about 10 parts and that's being generous.

I'm just kind of amazed that they'd vary that much. They do work very well though.

• Members

Are you kidding? I understand that when you're talking about something made from a bunch of seperate parts like a guitar that there is going to be a pretty wide range of variance, but these things are spit out of a frickin machine and are comprised of about 10 parts and that's being generous.

I'm just kind of amazed that they'd vary that much. They do work very well though.

They are built with relatively wide mechanic tolerance in at least three different countries...USA, Mexico, and Taiwan...and on several different price and quality levels depending on dealer or distributor.

You want the best CTS pots, Dimarzio pots are OEM-made by CTS and are higher quality than those used/sold by either Gibson, Fender, Guitar Center or Mojo.

• Members

I'm really not that picky when it comes to my pots.. I only really chuck the "dime" sized ones and pick up a random "quarter" from wherever/partsbin. I only have two CTS pots between two different mutants, and there is a noticeable difference but I don't really mind it.

• Members

I've always had good luck with cts post as far as reliability. I've also never noticed a wide range in stiffness. Maybe I'm just lucky? I have been getting from my fave geetar store and I always turn them before purchase, but I don't recall ever feeling a stiffy (don't go there!)

• Members

yeah. quality-wise they are all great, but in my experience, they vary a lot in stiffness. Never had a really stiff one though. Got a bout 25-40 of them in my shop right now and a few of those will always be quite loose. I get mine from Allparts FWIW

• Members

You can easily turn a stiff CTS pot into a looser one by taking the cover off and bending the wiper contacts that touch the resitive carbon strip back a little bit. I have done this mod dozens of times and it works like a charm. Takes less than 10 minutes to do.

Now stop yer bitchin'! ;-)

Archived