My new Xaviere is attracting lots of pussy... (NGD Xaviere XV-610)

twotimingpete

• Members

Found a Xaviere XV-610 blackout on ebay with a super low bid, and I sniped it at the end for $100 + $15 shipped. With hardshell case.

The auction said there's "Rust on the strings but nothing else wrong with it" and that the seller knows nothing about guitars.

Let's see what my $115 gamble got me...

xav610-01.jpg

xav610-02.jpg

First observation is that the HSC is great. Not cheapie-feeling. Second observation is that everything is new. The case had the factory tag on it. The guitar has Xaviere's trademark "super high action from the store" setup.. Plastic peel stuff still on the pickups and pickguard. Guitar is mint. It's new, I suspect it's never really been played.

xav610-03.jpg

Second thing I noticed was something I encounted on a previous Xaviere: Action that can't be adjusted low enough. In other words, you "bottom out" the action adjustment at the bridge, and the action is still higher than it needs to be. Fortunately I already went through this learning experience in the past and I knew exactly what to do. Took the neck off, put a little piece of cardboard into the neck pocket, put it back on. Suddenly the action has plenty of room to adjust (note: it really doesn't take much to make a massive difference... start small)

I installed 10s and adjusted the action. As usual the neck had too much relief, I was able to tighten the truss rod enough to reduce it to my usual level of "almost none".

At that point, guitar played very well and sounded very well. I've had my run ins with the dream 180 a couple times in the past and never quite made my peace with 'em, but here they seem to be working so I'll leave it be for now. I think they go nicely with semi hollows. They definitely are very big and thuddy sounding, especially after playing nothing but a strat for months.

xav610-04.jpg

xav610-05.jpg

Frets seem to be in need of a polishing, but the guitar is still nicely playable as is -- Except for the fact that a couple frets at the higher register are clearly too high, making the fretted notes in a couple of spots unplayable.

These will have to be filed down and leveled for the guitar to be useable. I just don't know how to do this myself... Is it easy, or should I find a pro? What should I expect to pay?

All in all, this is a *lot* for a total of $115 shipped. I feel like a thief.

• Members

woo hoo!

That looks great! How the heck did you get it for $115?

Off of ebay. This is the original auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=270665075131&si=s5S6LvV9jAxtEhfPeqB%252BBWplwwE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

This seller actually sold 3 xavieres all at once -- Each one with the HSC. All three auctions had the same description (Basically "Rust on strings, no other issues, I don't know anything about guitars"). Hate to tell you, but all three auctions ended up closing for between $100 and $130.

Search Ebay for Xavieres regularly and you might hit pay dirt.

• Members

Looks nice. I'm thinking of getting a Xaviere as a hobby/project guitar to muck around with and learn more about doing set-ups and wiring.

Xavieres would be a good choice for that. This is my third Xaviere (Fourth if you count an exchange I had to do). In terms of overall quality, Nothing ever stands out as being particularly cheap -- And while they lack that extra luster and x-factor of something more expensive, they are highly functional without any particular weak point.. So long as you can get them set up properly, because based on my experience, no Xaviere arrives from the store even remotely set up for play.

I'd compare the quality roughly to that of a midrange Epiphone, or a hair below.

• Members

Except for the fact that a couple frets at the higher register are clearly too high, making the fretted notes in a couple of spots unplayable.

These will have to be filed down and leveled for the guitar to be useable. I just don't know how to do this myself... Is it easy, or should I find a pro? What should I expect to pay?

Time to learn to level/crown/dress frets ;-).... Here's an old post of mine of leveling frets with tools you can get locally for under $15 total....there's a lot of good info from other posters in that thread as well. It's really easy and being able to do this sort of work REALLY helps if you like cheapies and buying old beat up guitars.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2292115-Another-Fret-Level-with-pics....

• Members

Time to learn to level/crown/dress frets ;-).... Here's an old post of mine of leveling frets with tools you can get locally for under $15 total....there's a lot of good info from other posters in that thread as well. It's really easy and being able to do this sort of work REALLY helps if you like cheapies and buying old beat up guitars.

this actually looks... quite doable. maybe I'll just do this myself!

thanks for the link, it was very helpful.

• Members

this actually looks... quite doable. maybe I'll just do this myself!

thanks for the link, it was very helpful.

I was hesitant at first myself. But once I actually did a level, crown, polish it really isn't that hard. Just go slow.

I have some 180's myself and couldn't bond with them. Too much high end for my taste. Maybe I need a thinline. Damn GAS!

HNGD!!! Enjoy.

• Members

KITTEHS!

My advice is for everyone with Dream 180s... put in a switch that will allow you to split them. They are my fav split hb. I'm not in love with their HB sound but the split sound is irreplaveable.

Way to snipe!

HNGD! :wave:

• Members

This method is similar to the way Ron Kirn does his. Check out his Strat Build tutorial to see what he does. I have done this with a few cheap guitars, but with a shorter sanding block to allow for the neck not being totally flat. I have not done a lot in terms of crowning, but I like this method. Thanks.

Archived