A Very Happy NGD, Vol II: Archtop Guitar

MyNameIsMok...

• Members

Sweet Score! HNGD, bro.

I've been GASing for an old school archtop, except with a neck mount jazz-style pickup. Such classy guitars.

Thanks. This thing is a cannon though...pretty much amplifies itself when you dig in. :thu:

Top still hasn't opened up, as she has never really been anything but NOS her whole life.

Guess I gotta play it all night to help that along. :)

• Members

^Hubba.

I personally think I got a stellar deal for their top of the line acoustic model (About $1000) since it's all carved, spruce top with a 'hog (beefy) neck and highly flamed maple back and sides. The hand rubbed nitro burst finish is mesmerizing, and the truss rod and grover tuners make it hard to knock the damn thing out of tune, even in this crazy weather. My kid nephew who at first asked why I didn't get another electric (he digs Hendrix) finally "got it" after I ran through some jazz, rock, blues and flamenco. He said it was really loud and clear (in the other room) and that I got a good one. He's 19 and doesn't know a thing about guitars. Now he wants to build an archtop (he's a welder). :thu:

Check one out if you get a chance. It really is a Gibson (made in Korea). LOTZ OF MOJO, MAN. Heavy...it scares me. :)

Beautiful! I've read about those quite a bit but have yet to try one out.

Did you get a good deal on it?

HNGD!

EG

...and Thanks Mr. E!

Maybe I'll put a floating pickup in. Maybe. I kind of doubt it. Hmmm.

• Members

Exactly. That was made to be just like it is.

So, how's the finish on it?

EG

It is described as "high gloss". but in poly terms that means "fingerprint magnet". I would describe the nitro finish as glassy and transparent (definitely not thin skinned designed for relicing). You can even see the maple flame under the darkest part of the burst, which is kind of neat.

It looks wet and reflective like a pool of water. Very inspiring look that makes one want to pick it up and fidaddle. I believe the proper cliche is : "pictures don't do it justice", but it's true.

• Members

So, no major flaws in the finish anywhere?

EG

Non. I almost bought a PRS once that has a dime sized overdrip on the neck. This guitar in contrast appears to be flawless, or at least "well done".

There is a millimeter sized discolouration at the 13th fret around the binding that most would never notice, but I did discover upon final inspection.

Here is an obligatory crappy Blackberry shot:

IMG00116-20110219-0938.jpg

• Members

For some reason my phone is not saving any more pics. :( Probably needs a new media card.

Here is a pic of the other score from last week. Just recorded a song with it on Thursday. Sounds great. Doesn't need new pots after all, I think a solder was just jiggling or something when I heard a crackle during the sound check:

IMG00103-20110218-1355.jpg

Poly finish (China) is sticky and attracts fingerprints, quilted veneer has a slight chip in back. The flaws jump out next to the much nicer Loar (Korea) model.

• Members
Well this was unexpected today. I am pleased (that is an understatement).

LH500S_body-front.jpg

"The Loar" LH-500 SN

Carved, vintage L-5 burst, flower
overlay
headstock, limited edition, nitro finish, ebony bridge & dark indian rosewood fingerboard, triple bound neck and body. Stellar piece of work.

very nice~ congratulations!

Archived