Which Tele should I get?

saneff

• Members

Which model of the Teles (I will but a new one) should I get?

I am a new player, but played as a kid 25 years aggo and I am moving really fast. I have acoustics and a Les paul. I want my next guitar to be a Tele becuae I see a lot fo the bands and musicians I listen to are using them. I like pretty much everything music-wise, except I don't like the heavy metal stuff at all.

I listen to and play (or will be trying to play) alt rock, classic rock, singer songwriter, some country (like Luke Bryan etc).

• Members

I have a Baja and have owned 2 Squier CVs. I sold the latter, as they just weren't quite as good as the Baja in any department... however with the cheaper end - Mexican, and Squiers, you should try a few to get one that is right for you. The Baja can be really wonderful - superb pickups (twisted neck pickup, which can only be found on the Deluxe at over a grand), and decent bridge pickup (much much better than the average MIM bridge pickup), fat neck, 3 saddle brass bridge etc etc - quite like a cheaper 52 RI in some ways; also has the 'in series' switch position, which can sound like a neck humbucker, and out of phase options which most people (including me) don't really use. However, some of them are as heavy as hell, which could be fine, but I would try them out to make sure they are built well and not too heavy. CV has nice alnico pickups and are usually well built, but just doesn't quite get past the Baja for me - depends on your taste... the CV is perhaps a little more traditional sounding overall. V good for the price though.

• Members

Best tele I've played recently was a (don't laugh!!) Nashville tele. It smoked every single strat I could compare against it at the GC I visited (one afternoon, while school was in session so I was insulated from the chugga-chugga crowd...)

• Members

this.

this - again.

I have both (the AmSt -bought new is 13 years old and still perfect and my go-to guitar) and I just got the '50s Classic Vibe. Different sides of the same coin, but the CV has been getting a lot of play time from me lately. The best in-expensive guitar I've ever owned. Play one - then play an American Standard - the decision will be a hard one, but the CV will probably win out (based on price) - The CV's a great - probably the best - starter Tele ever. Really nice.

• Members

My sig will tell you what I happened to choose but you ought to head to a Fender retailer and try them out yourself. Once you have an idea what you're after, in terms of price range, finish options, neck size and shape and finish, and pickups, get back to us and we can narrow it down to a winner.

• Members

Interestingly, the OP hasn't bothered to offer a piece of information that might be useful: Price range. Without that information, it's impossible to give a reasonable answer, because said answer will most definitely be different if he is prepared to spend $300 than if he wants to spend $3000...

Archived