Anyone use the Vox AC4TV?

niceguy

• Members

I'm not a big fan of it, but it's not terrible... basically it does the cranked Vox tone thing and that's all that it does at a reasonable volume. Somewhat chimey Vox cleans are in there, but they are at a pretty low volume and they aren't nearly as complex sounding as with even an AC15CC1 with the stock speaker and stock tubes.

• Members

Mine started breaking up by 3 or 4 easy with fairly mild pickups. I had the 10" version which will get loud, but not loud AND clean. I suspect the head with a good cab could do better. Well made amp, though, and it does sound good. A terrific second amp, in my book, but it'd be tough to cover all your bases with it.

EG

• Members

You might want to look at the ZT Lunchbox. It's solid state. But it has great cleans. You'll need a overdrive or distortion pedal with it. But it's well made, loud and lightweight. It's a great little amp.

Wow, just did some googling on it. Looks great. Do you know what the volume taper is on it? Is it at all usable as an apartment amp, in addition to gigging?

• Members

Hm, so no chance of using a low-wattage tube amp as a gigging amp? I live in NYC, so when I need an amp at a gig, it would be nice to tote around a wee lil' amp. Naturally, it would be miked at the gig....

I'm sure that would work great if you're looking for dirt. The 4W setting at lower volumes gives pretty decent cleans, though as cratz2 said, they're not as complex as with some other Vox amps.

Actually, if you're looking for Vox-y cleans more than dirt, you might consider the Pathfinder 15R. The cleans are truly stunning, the dirt is reasonably good once you've done the LED mod, and it's quite small and light. Personally, I'd want a nice dirt pedal up front for a serious gig, but YMMV, or maybe that'd be an acceptable solution for you.

• Members

The ZT can be quiet as a mouse, or loud enough to jam with a full band. Between the gain and volume knobs, there's TONS of volume control - but very little on board overdrive. With the gain cranked you get slight breakup with single coils. Back off to about "8" and it's clean.

• Members

The ZT can be quiet as a mouse, or loud enough to jam with a full band. Between the gain and volume knobs, there's TONS of volume control - but very little on board overdrive. With the gain cranked you get slight breakup with single coils. Back off to about "8" and it's clean.

The more I think on it.... I'm gonna buy one today :thu:

I have some out of town gigs this spring, with my rock trio. And I'll be taking trains and buses. It would be so awesome to pack the Lunchbox and my Line 6 M9 into my large backpack, then carry my Les Paul in the other hand. Ultra portability!

• Members
Hm, so no chance of using a low-wattage tube amp as a gigging amp? I live in NYC, so when I need an amp at a gig, it would be nice to tote around a wee lil' amp. Naturally, it would be miked at the gig....

check out the VHT Special 6 Stays fairly clean at decent volumes. Also, I have gigged with a number of my 5 watt amps. No prob.

Archived