Mark Knopfler Appreciation Thread

chqtarzan

• Members

huge Mark K.. fan.. but i think is solo suff is just about as good as any Dire Strait tune.. although a bit more mature.. less flashy.. its very good..

really liking Sailing to Phili, and Wag The Dog right now...

[YOUTUBE]NWo-51v-SFA[/YOUTUBE]

talk about i guy who can control his tones.. such subtle playing is rare...

GO MARK!!

• Members

huge Mark K.. fan.. but i think is solo suff is just about as good as any Dire Strait tune.. although a bit more mature.. less flashy.. its very good..

really liking Sailing to Phili, and Wag The Dog right now...

GO MARK!!

Exactly, less flashy but more details and natural control

MK on a Dano 67

[YOUTUBE]9oqG1RxHlSo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've been on a Knopfler kick for a while, including buying tix to see him in a couple of weeks, buying a book discussing Knopfler style, and just sitting there analyzing what he is doing. Incredibly tasteful playing. Very literate lyrics. The whole package really. The reason I ditched the pick years and years ago was because of him. His overall influence on my playing is incalculable.

[YOUTUBE]4j34gG2xR3I[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I was going to make an MK appreciation thread a while back, but never got around to it. The man's a legend.

Who says you need a pick to shred?!?!

[YOUTUBE]4KOpepmI7r8[/YOUTUBE]

:love:

• Members

GO MARK!!

So true man. Kill to Get Crimson has some great tarcks, and I've always loved Postcards from Paraguay and Song for Sonny Liston. Knopfler is truly one of the greats, both Dire and solo. Very underrated (by some).

• Members

I absolutely love Mark Knopfler, if he's not my favorite player he's in the top three. I love his Straits-era material, but his solo stuff, to me, is much more mature in every way. His playing, while not as flashy, is much more effective. Subtle, tasteful... just amazing.

His influences are varied, too, and it shows. Chet Atkins is there to no small degree, as is more than a little bit of blues (see Song for Sonny Liston) and good ol' rock and roll.

[YOUTUBE]5wTVLIZaxMk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Pp_T_zVwqAA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

LOVE me some Knopfler. I have most of the Dire Straits stuff, but Sailing To Philadelphia and Shangri La are pretty much my favorites of his. I also think I could probably listen to Fade To Black about 50 times in a row.

:lol:

He, along with David Gilmour, are probably the only two guitarists I can literally listen to for a week at a time without intervention without something heavier, lighter, slower or faster. They are just so endlessly great to me.

:thu:

• Members

i was a big Knopfler fan up until he started doing the "Shangri-La" crap.......he just strums and mumbles....
:mad:

Hey now... Shangri-La is fantastic. Some of it isn't strum-and-mumbley at all. A valid criticism of his voice, sometimes, but there's some AWESOME guitar playing on that album. Boom, Like That and Song for Sonny Liston are my favorites for just his guitar playing.

And even if his newer stuff isn't guitar-oriented, there's still some might fine playing. The solo in Punish the Monkey, for example, I've always liked a whole lot.

• Members

Living proof that tone is in the fingers.

and now he has matured from rock musician to something of a story telling, observant documenter of and commentator on contemporary life.

I bet there is no one in the UK that does not know a Scaffolders Wife...........

• Members

few musicans can craft songs like Mark K.. he is right up there with bob dylan and neil young mho,,, as far as song smiths. not much a vid to watch.. but man such a great song..

[YOUTUBE]eQmKPAcd6ZI[/YOUTUBE]

• 10 months later...

Archived