Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely love Mark Knopfler, if he's not my favorite player he's in the top three. I love his Straits-era material, but his solo stuff, to me, is much more mature in every way. His playing, while not as flashy, is much more effective. Subtle, tasteful... just amazing.

His influences are varied, too, and it shows. Chet Atkins is there to no small degree, as is more than a little bit of blues (see Song for Sonny Liston) and good ol' rock and roll.

Stop saying 'pups.' Pick. Ups. Come on, it just sounds dumb.

Guitars:
    2009 PRS SE Singlecut
    2008 American Standard Strat
    2006 Highway One Tele
    2010 Martin DX1E

Comment

LOVE me some Knopfler. I have most of the Dire Straits stuff, but Sailing To Philadelphia and Shangri La are pretty much my favorites of his. I also think I could probably listen to Fade To Black about 50 times in a row.

He, along with David Gilmour, are probably the only two guitarists I can literally listen to for a week at a time without intervention without something heavier, lighter, slower or faster. They are just so endlessly great to me.

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

i was a big Knopfler fan up until he started doing the "Shangri-La" crap.......he just strums and mumbles....
        "If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
        I woulda wrote a better song "
        member Mazi Bee Militia
        Talk Box Brigade
        Gretsch Guards
        Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

i was a big Knopfler fan up until he started doing the "Shangri-La" crap.......he just strums and mumbles....

Hey now... Shangri-La is fantastic. Some of it isn't strum-and-mumbley at all. A valid criticism of his voice, sometimes, but there's some AWESOME guitar playing on that album. Boom, Like That and Song for Sonny Liston are my favorites for just his guitar playing.

And even if his newer stuff isn't guitar-oriented, there's still some might fine playing. The solo in Punish the Monkey, for example, I've always liked a whole lot.

Guitars:
          2009 PRS SE Singlecut
          2006 Highway One Tele
          2010 Martin DX1E

Comment

Love that album. Knopfler's been a really big influence for me- first two Dire Straits albums are two of the greatest ever by anyone.
            Good deals http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post45270390

YoutubeJams http://www.youtube.com/user/sixblade...4?feature=mhee

Comment

Living proof that tone is in the fingers.

and now he has matured from rock musician to something of a story telling, observant documenter of and commentator on contemporary life.

I bet there is no one in the UK that does not know a Scaffolders Wife...........
              Rules for a Happy Life:
              Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
              I am happy with who I am. You do not have to like me.

Originally Posted by aenemated
              doc always has been and always will be. He behaves as if he is 18 years old with worlds of wisdom

6 senses, 5 cables, 4 different coloured guitars, 3 amps, 2 pedals, 1 footswitch.
              Statutory Disclaimer: Any advice I may give is ill-informed and is to be treated with the utmost suspicion.

Comment

Comment

few musicans can craft songs like Mark K.. he is right up there with bob dylan and neil young mho,,, as far as song smiths. not much a vid to watch.. but man such a great song..

Electric Cowbell.. meh...
                  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Scuzzo's Sound Clicks
                  Mixed for Headphones only
                  all pictures sound the same....
                  The"Let Me Hear Your Original Works" please feel free to add your stuff..
                  Funk
                  Avaunt-Guard
                  Blues
                  Jazz

Comment

Just found a great Atkins and Knopfer tune.

Guitars:
                    2009 PRS SE Singlecut
                    2006 Highway One Tele
                    2010 Martin DX1E

Comment

.torrent

OR.. DOWNLOAD (700MB)
                      http://ca.isohunt.com/download/269399581/knopfler+life+songs.avi.torrent

Thanks monto for this contribution, really touchy and amazing.

Comment

Dudes -

-- Seriously

----- This is my all-time fave KNOPfler tune

Same thing from back when

A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                        HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                        Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                        I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

LOVE me some Knopfler...
                          He, along with David Gilmour, are probably the only two guitarists I can literally listen to for a week at a time without intervention without something heavier, lighter, slower or faster. They are just so endlessly great to me.

Interesting that you would mention David Gilmour - I find that they have a similar approach to the guitar but Gilmour displays more of a B.B. King influence.

I first heard Dire Straits just after the second album came out. I was driving the truck home from a gig in the middle of the night when Sultans of Swing came on the AM radio. I found a spot along the highway where the radio came in clear and stopped the truck. It was so refreshing to hear that guitar.

I immediately went out and bought the two albums and began to systematically learn and analyze all the songs in the order they appeared on the records. I was playing strats thru a twin in those days and discovered how much more I could do with fingerstyle than with a pick and how to fit different licks over chord changes - it literally changed my life.

I still find that MK's guitar can bring a tear to my eye when I listen to his solos - the perfect combination of feeling and technique. The man is a musical genius.

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

MK is one of my all-time heroes. I don't play anything like him (due in large part to the fact that, er, I can't) but I love his style and songs. Timeless, IMO.

Comment

I haven't given much of his solo stuff a listen to be honest, I need to hear more .

There are some Dire Straits tunes that are among my all time favorite guitar work though. I've been a HUGE fan of 'Sultans of Swing" since I first heard it. His solos in that are some of my all time favorites.

The softer attack he gets by playing with fingers instead of pick is a huge part of what I like so much. Hell, if he used a pick on some of that stuff, it would ruin the entire vibe (IMHO).

Comment

I just watched the Life In Song documentary. He's such a unique talent. Pretty sure he's not a gearhead. He seems to care about the songwriting above all else.
                                New stuff every day on Gain!

Comment

Working...
                                X