Head or combo? And why?

niceguy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i used to gig with 2 half stacks, but the band i'm in now, i just use my '59 bassman combo, and i LOVE when it comes time to load. like someone said, guitar in one hand, amp in the other... although it is a heavy amp, its compact enough where i can handle it with 1 arm.

• Members

It's up to you and the sort of band you're playing with. I like the portability of combos, but the flexibility of half-stacks is cool too.
If I need a fair amount of power I like the fact that the heaviest, most awkward piece of gear (the 4x12) is not full of hot, fragile tubes.
For smaller gigs I just use a single speaker combo though.

• Members

I like both for different reasons.

Head/cab - more versatile, can scale the cab to the gig, isolates the electronics from the vibration of the cabinet, looks badass

Combo - more convenient to transport, take up less space, easier to tilt up/put on stand

I have one of each for the reasons stated above.

• Members

Ok, these people who are saying combos are easier are baffling me.

I stwongly disagwee.

Combo's are heavy, at least Mesa ones are. If it's gonna be a 112 or 212, it'll surely weigh more than a head or cab. This means you strain more and are more tired when you are all ready to play at a show. Two easy trips is better than one insane, {censored}ty, ballbustingly heavy trip. They're also bulkier, and demand more thought when packing up. They're harder to aim where you want as well.

A head is more portable in my eyes, far more versatile, tubes last longer and are easier to change out because you can reach them easier. I switched from a 212 combo to a 212 cab and a head. I couldn't be happier. My combo had a hard case (which is a must in my eyes, if you're gonna gig it), and I was able to carry it by myself, but it was really hard and usually I had someone get the other end and help me. Sucks having to wait for someone to be done with their {censored} before they'll help you set up.

Man, I can't recommend a head and cab setup strongly enough. Especially with Mesa, I mean you probably want some beefy gain, and it's so much easier to get that from a closed back cabinet than a 1/2 back combo. Also, those high gain/high volume situations rattle the hell out of your tubes. Heads are less prone to that as the tubes aren't in the same box with the speakers.

If you get a combo, I can almost promise you that you'll wanna switch to a head/cab down the road. It's frickin spendy to go from a combo to a head. The money you'll make from the combo will only cover part of the head, or maybe the cab with a bit leftover. If you decide you don't like your head or cabinet, then you can sell it for a very similar price that you paid if you bought used (as they're in higher demand, and for a reason), and just get a different one.

I mean, sure, combos work for some, the old Fenders and Voxs are perfect for some bands, especially one guitar, not very hard rock type bands... but me thinks if you're wanting a Mesa, you want gain, and powerful gain, go with a head. Please.

• Members

If you decide you don't like your head or cabinet, then you can sell it for a very similar price that you paid if you bought used (as
they're in higher demand
, and for a reason), and just get a different one.

I agree with most everything you say except the bold part - that, I stwongly disagwee with.

• Members

I guess it all depends on whether you have the requirement to mix and match - to have a range of different amps at your disposal. If so, the head/cab arrangement is obviously better, as you can transport three different heads for the same weight as a single combo, and you can mix and match with different cabs.

However, for most small scale performers, the single combo that covers the ground you need is likely to be a bit more practical. There is something a little more beautiful about a combo too, somehow.

• Members

If you're looking at the same amp in a head or combo version - I'd chose the head for its versatility. I also have two cabs that I'm very happy with, so that helps the decision. I also have combos, and they server their purpose well. In the future, however, if I get an amp, it'll most likely be a head not a combo. That way, you could use an amp switcher to switch heads using the same cab. Very useful.

Archived