No announcement yet.

Head or combo? And why?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head or combo? And why?

I'd like to hear your reasons for preferring one over the other... Mostly cuz I really want a Mesa

A combo because it's easier all around.
    Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

I like both for different reasons.

Head/cab - more versatile, can scale the cab to the gig, isolates the electronics from the vibration of the cabinet, looks badass
      Combo - more convenient to transport, take up less space, easier to tilt up/put on stand

Comment

Head, to avoid tube rattle issues.
        Listen...

Comment

Head...in case something catastrophic happens to it you'll still have the cab to work with.

Comment

I've always gigged with Fender and Ampeg combos. They're more compact, sound damn good in the mix and mic'd they'll handle any venue I'd ever play.
            HCGB Trooper #24

Comment

combo

guitar in one hand, amp in the other.
              Live to play LIVE

Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

My Rig:
              Jet City JCA2112RC

TU-2 > V-847 > ST2 > Route 808 > DD-3

Epi Les Paul Std+ (BG dark set)
              Epi '56 Les Paul Goldtop
              Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59)

Comment

i used to gig with 2 half stacks, but the band i'm in now, i just use my '59 bassman combo, and i LOVE when it comes time to load. like someone said, guitar in one hand, amp in the other... although it is a heavy amp, its compact enough where i can handle it with 1 arm.
                Gibson Les Paul Jr. / Rockinbetter 330, Rickenbacker 360
                Fender '59 Bassman RI / Sovtek mig100h / VHT lead 40
                Russian Big Muff / DIY FY-2 "companion fuzz"

Originally Posted by donnie_combat

G&L's are the most un creative stupid pieces of crap on the planet. if you want something decent and real go for fender~

Comment

It's up to you and the sort of band you're playing with. I like the portability of combos, but the flexibility of half-stacks is cool too.
                  If I need a fair amount of power I like the fact that the heaviest, most awkward piece of gear (the 4x12) is not full of hot, fragile tubes.
                  For smaller gigs I just use a single speaker combo though.

Comment

Depending on the size of the Combo, a head and 2x12 cab could be easier to move around.

Comment

What about rack stuff?!

Not hip I know but you can tailor your amp to your taste/needs, stereo, build in fx/gates etc.

I kept mine simple and it weighs less than any head I've owned.

Comment

I only have a combo that never leaves the bedroom but it's obvious that both have their pluses and minuses. One thing I like about my combo is the reverb tank.

Comment

I have both, different venues need different amps.

I love my 100 watt Marshall full stack, but realistically there are some places that I don't need to use it so the 100 watt 1x12 combo does the trick.
                          Shane Dunn-Official Site- band updates, gear info, links

Neros Opening Act/When In Rome

Comment

Heads

Playing out changes things, but just for at home, multiple heads take up less room than multiple combos. That, and put good speakers in one 2x12, instead of upgrading the speakers in half a dozen combos.
                            Originally Posted by Elias Graves

I'm like a degenerate Ben Franklin.

EG

Originally Posted by silverring233

and i don't know why i want one, i just want one

Proud member of the $50 Black Jay Turser V Club

Comment

I like both for different reasons.

Head/cab - more versatile, can scale the cab to the gig, isolates the electronics from the vibration of the cabinet, looks badass
                              Combo - more convenient to transport, take up less space, easier to tilt up/put on stand

I have one of each for the reasons stated above.
                              Two of the nicest gentlemen, and most talented people: Mssr's Diezel and Krampe.
                              Je préfèrerais mourir sans un sou dans une rue en Europe que de vivre en Amérique sous l'administration actuelle. Alizée est la meilleure. Vous, les princesses pop américaines, n'avez aucun talent, aucune classe, et vous sonnez comme de la merde. Sarkozy et le reste de l'Europe se moquent de notre président dans son dos.

Comment

Working...
                              X