X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Landreth > Derrick Trucks

He has a lot more tricks in his magic bag. Wish I could find Z Rider from Crossroads.

Er, whut? They're both beyond awesome IMO.

Oh, and it's Derek :-)

Comment

+1. That live record he had out about 4 years ago was killer.
      Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

yea right.. both are great and dont need to be comparied to each other..

what the hell?

apples and something different..

this tone was touched by the angles.. mho..

there is pleny more check out Song Lines or is stuff on cross roads..
        better best...

it dose not apply.
        Electric Cowbell.. meh...
        http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Scuzzo's Sound Clicks
        Mixed for Headphones only
        all pictures sound the same....
        The"Let Me Hear Your Original Works" please feel free to add your stuff..
        Funk
        Avaunt-Guard
        Blues
        Jazz

Comment

This is Amerrikuh. There can only be one winner.

Honestly, I'm just tryin' to get a conversation goin'.

Comment

True that, but Johnny Winter still slays them both.
            My 9/11 Tribute Song: https://vimeo.com/49284582

The 9/11 Wall of Shame (caught stepping in it):
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3s4_dkKn8Y
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Xoxaf1Al0
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPzAakHPpk
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7uJ...feature=relmfu
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU961SGps8g

Comment

I enjoy them both. The only similar things about the way they play is the piece of glass on their left hand.
              Good Deals - BlackHatHunter, vexed73, Shamdog, sa1126, Doctor Morbius, Tweedledee, RitalinCupcake, CompleteGuitard, Metal0822, lfrz93, deadanddreaming, Billy Dee, jigowatt, jcameronk2, Steve_man, orangesix, Zuzuman, BryanFTL, finboy, IBDBB (x2), Mike Fiasco, Posh1227, Woody_in_MN, finboy, FarToMany, kojdogg, Fusion1, dcindc, fulcrumpoint, live-I-evil, Deadbeat Son, Teletaylor, Mr Goodbomb, Firebrand, Jse, bdhn, Lonnie99(x2), jjegg

Comment

I enjoy them both. The only similar things about the way they play is the piece of glass on their left hand.
                And when he takes the slide off, Trucks really stands apart.
                Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

I agree - they're both ridiculously incredible.

But, I personally prefer Derek. Sonny no doubt has phenomenal technique and tone, but Derek's playing just has a soul that really speaks to me. He seems more "vocal" with his slide playing than Sonny does. I've seen Derek a couple times, with the Allmans and with Clapton. Both times he was, in my mind, by far the best guitarist on the stage.

I love Derek's early stuff w/ DTB too. Some really sweet jazzy/fusiony stuff. His blues/jazz/world combo is really unique.
                  My Soundclick
                  My YouTube Channels

'01 Heritage H535
                  '05 USA G&L Legacy
                  Taylor Big Baby

Comment

yup

stuff:
                    52RI Tele
                    Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                    more stuff:
                    65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                    Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

I agree that SL has taken his technique to a level that nobody else has ever seen before. The way he uses all of his fingers and frets behind the slide is mesmerizing, but comparing the two is apples and gumbo. They're both awesome and instantly recognizable and great fun to listen to.

D
                      '99 Parker Fly Classic'06 Gibson ES335 Dot'01 Fender MIM Std Strat (w/ Lollars)'03 Gretsch 6118-120T'91 Fender Deluxe Strat Plus'90 Fender Custom Shop Setneck Tele'07 Xaviere XV-600'10 Dreamcaster'92 Gibson J150Fender Evil TwinFender Pro Jr.and a bunch o' other crap...

Comment

That Desdemona solo was hypnotic, and that's very very rare for me.
                        I must admit, until today I just thought he was the same as all the other "failed-white-rock-guitarist-wanking-some-blues-scales" type of player.
                        That was really impressive.

Comment

I really like them both - I probably prefer Derek Trucks for his musicality and experimentation - his weird Indian-inspired stuff is great.

I like Sonny Landreth's technique of fretting behind the slide - I've always liked to do this myself, but never with much success. Probably because my action isn't half an inch high like his appears to be in the above video!

Comment

I liked it. Yeah, I wouldn't weigh in on the >,< or = matter, but I would say I liked the tone of that bit by Sonny better than most anything I've heard from Derek. I know the Derek is knighted a phenomena, but I have not really clicked with his music yet.

So what's the top recommendation of a CD with Sonny?
                            A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                            HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                            Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                            I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Sonny is great, no question. I put him up there with Brozman as far as slide playing goes, and that's saying quite a lot.

But Derek Trucks... he's just on another page, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think of him as a slide player - more as a hell of a guitarist who just happens to play slide from time to time, if that makes any sense. I can't think of very many other musicians that whose playing is such a consistent source of inspiration for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X