Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a real Gibson really smoke a Epiphone by a mile?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any comparison is riddled with subjectivity which all boils down the player and the player alone.

So diceman1000 doesn't nor will he probably ever see it as a 5-7X difference. dcooper830 owns a bunch of both and he doesn't see it either and probably never will.

Ask 50 other people and you're going to get people on both sides of the fence with different opinions. Me personally; it all comes down the guitars in question and even then a 5-7X 'better' is unattainable except perhaps in the case of the ****************tiest Epiphone ever built and one of the best Gibsons ever to grace the planet. The likelihood is more in the .05-2X nicer in even the more extreme cases and for many even a 5% difference is enough to justify the price which is clearly what the 5-7X 'better' is really all about.

So here is are the questions you have to ask yourself:

1. If you had to choose between this Epiphone for $300 and a Gibson for $300 which one would you buy?

2. If you had to choose between the Epiphone for $2000 and a Gibson for the same price which would you buy?

Now try to explain the answer to yourself and perhaps you'll be onto something because I don't know why it is either. I'm going to take the Gibson in just about every scenario I can imagine and I'll sit here and admit to it.

The price difference isn't on a linear scale so the 5-7X better question is flawed from the beginning. After a certain price the percentage of 'better' drops and the price increases substantially and it's not just with guitars. Ask Diceman1000 to explain it using cars as an analogy; he enjoys that. oke:

GUITARS:
    Fender MIM Standard Strat
    Hand Made SG Replica
    Epiphone DOT Studio
    Westbury Standard
    Cort X-5
    New Dawn Signature Prototype
    Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
    Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
    AMPS:
    Crate VC3112
    Fender Mustang II

Proud Rose Pickups and Rose Petal Effects user

My Good Deals

Comment

Gibson to Epiphone is like comparing a Honda to an Acura. They have the similar features and are often built on the same chassis. However, the Gibson has more craftsmanship put into it. If the little things matter to you or you like a Gibson better, get a Gibson. If the price of the Epiphone is right for you and you like the feel of it, get an Epiphone. Any more it is hard to go wrong with either one. Older guitars is a story for another day...
      boosh!
      My guitar teacher in Columbus, OH
      Guitars: Jackson Dinky, Ibanez RG, Custom Carvin, Ibanez classical, Ibanez RG7320
      Toys: Peavey 3120, custom 2x12 cab, HarmonyMan, DD-20, modded 847wah, Cube 40X, about a dozen others...

Comment

Would I rather have a Gibson LP than my Epi LP? Sure.

Is the price difference worth it? Not to me.

I have bought Gibson Les Paul Studios for $500.
        President and CEO of The Foundation Of Right
        Also President and CEO of The Foundation Of Wrong

Originally Posted by StankNasty

the dream isn't in your parents' basement

Comment

it seems to me that it's more like people that can afford a gibson vs. the people that can afford an epiphone

and smothered in bias
          whoa, maaaaaan.

Comment

Gibson to Epiphone is like comparing a Honda to an Acura. They have the similar features and are often built on the same chassis. However, the Gibson has more craftsmanship put into it. If the little things matter to you or you like a Gibson better, get a Gibson. If the price of the Epiphone is right for you and you like the feel of it, get an Epiphone. Any more it is hard to go wrong with either one. Older guitars is a story for another day...

DAMNIT!!! TGHE CAR ANALOGY DOES NOT APPLY TO GUITARS!!!
            GUITARS:
            Hand Made SG Replica
            Epiphone DOT Studio
            Westbury Standard
            Cort X-5
            AMPS:
            Crate VC3112
            Fender Mustang II

My Good Deals

Comment

~Heel

Comment

'put your little hand in mine, there aint no heaven we can't find...'
                My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

Comment

I own one Gibson the bottom of the line Melody Maker and also own a Epiphone Wilshire. Both are great guitars in their own right but,there is feel to the MM that the Epi can not match. Maybe it is the 3 miles of poly finish. Now the Wilshire is a great guitar in its own right as I said. But it does not have the feel of the MM.Sound wise they are apples and oranges so I will not compare the two.
                  Theres only two kinds of music HEAVY and METAL!!!!!

Comment

would you expect any less outta me Heel

really though folks, it's all about waht fells right to YOU... if i had the disposeable income for high end gear would i have it? well DUH!!!
                    GUITARS:
                    Hand Made SG Replica
                    Epiphone DOT Studio
                    Westbury Standard
                    Cort X-5
                    AMPS:
                    Crate VC3112
                    Fender Mustang II

My Good Deals

Comment

YES!!

Comment

if i had the disposeable income for high end gear would i have it? well DUH!!!

I have heard a lot of people say very similar and said "how much have you spent on gear?" and then they do the math and figure 'damn, I could have had a...'.

I'm not saying that it is your situation but many, many people who say that could have a mind-blowing instrument for what they have spent. I know one guy who says that he can't see how anyone could spend $1000 on a guitar but he has about five that were $250 or $325. The difference in feel and flat-out overall quality of the $1000 instrument is typically miles ahead of the $250 guitar. If it wasn't, then I wouldn't own any 'expensive' guitars.

I tried a dozen Epiphones when I went Les Paul shopping. None of them came close to the Gibsons so I bought my first Gibson Les Paul Studio. BUT before I played the Epiphones and I could just see them I thought 'wow, I'll just get two of those in different colours'. Insert manual buzzer here.
                        President and CEO of The Foundation Of Right
                        Also President and CEO of The Foundation Of Wrong

Originally Posted by StankNasty

the dream isn't in your parents' basement

Comment

I have heard a lot of people say very similar and said "how much have you spent on gear?" and then they do the math and figure 'damn, I could have had a...'.

This is why I've sold almost all of my low to mid-priced guitars over the past few months. I'm using the cash to buy a few really nice ones that I love. They were all great guitars in their own way, but I finally decided I'd rather have a handful of guitars that I'll want around forever.
                          ~Heel

Comment

I'm not saying that it is your situation but many, many people who say that could have a mind-blowing instrument for what they have spent. I know one guy who says that he can't see how anyone could spend $1000 on a guitar but he has about five that were $250 or $325. The difference in feel and flat-out overall quality of the $1000 instrument is typically miles ahead of the $250 guitar. If it wasn't, then I wouldn't own any 'expensive' guitars.

I tried a dozen Epiphones when I went Les Paul shopping. None of them came close to the Gibsons so I bought my first Gibson Les Paul Studio. BUT before I played the Epiphones and I could just see them I thought 'wow, I'll just get two of those in different colours'. Insert manual buzzer here.

well, you see my sig... and i don't have everything listed... total investment is < $2000... now, had i just bought a PRS or Gibson with that money i'd have to sit around and play it unplugged because i'd have no amp and no effects... not to mention my acoustic electric and acoustic amp(which is where the bulk of the expense came from)... some day i will own a real PRS and a Buddah Superdrive... just not any time soon...
                            GUITARS:
                            Hand Made SG Replica
                            Epiphone DOT Studio
                            Westbury Standard
                            Cort X-5
                            AMPS:
                            Crate VC3112
                            Fender Mustang II

My Good Deals

Comment

Give guitarmandp a few days, he'll give you the "lowdown"
                              Originally Posted by Hopeless

I wouldn't recommend them for metal, but then I also wouldn't recommend playing metal.

Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

When you've founded an entire branch of science dedicated to quantifying taste, get back to me.

Comment

well, you see my sig... and i don't have everything listed... total investment is < $2000... now, had i just bought a PRS or Gibson with that money i'd have to sit around and play it unplugged because i'd have no amp and no effects... not to mention my acoustic electric and acoustic amp(which is where the bulk of the expense came from)... some day i will own a real PRS and a Buddah Superdrive... just not any time soon...

If I were in charge of raising a small human right now, I'd be in the same boat D.
                                ~Heel

Comment

Working...
                                X