Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a real Gibson really smoke a Epiphone by a mile?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitars are just guitars, theyre all the same, you dont need more than one, only jerks buy Gibsons.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Electric: Gibson LP Classic, Fender Marauder, Vintage V100, Vintage AV6P</b><br><br><br><br><b>Acoustic: Yamaha APX500</b></div>

Comment

My 2 cents...

Mfgs such as Fender and Gibson are very careful to make sure one can't simply mod one of their lower brand guitars and end up at the same place as their namesake brand. The most obvious way they do this is by using poly on their lower brand and nitro on their namesake brand.....there is a pretty huge feel difference btw the two. Fender also does things like using different sized parts on Squiers such as string spacing and nut width and sometimes slightly thinner bodies (while you can re-drill for some hardware you can't make a body thicker or the nut width wider)

Pretty much everything else can be changed to equal the namesake brand. Hardware and electronics are very easily swapped out to be equal (or even better than the namesake brand). Fretwork can always be done to an equal or better level and the same is true of the overall setup. But, unless you can do these things yourself then it is simply cost prohibitive AND you are still left with that Poly finish. Sure the guitar will play and sound fantastic, but it won't truly feel the same.

Comment

Ive had both and Gibsons are much better...wether its worth the total difference in price is subjective to the person..id say its well worth it.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought&quot;<br />
        Sir Thomas Beecham</div>

Comment

Sure the guitar will play and sound fantastic, but it won't truly feel the same.

There's the old incomprehensible rub! It'll play and sound fantastic, but it won't "truly" feel the same?

Comment

I'm gonna field this one in the most narrow way possible, using only my knowledge of my own Gibson and my own Epiphone.

I figure the best logical way to figure this out is how many of my Epi would I trade for my Gibson.

-CALCULATING-

Three.

Glad I solved that one.
            Sometimes you follow your heart. Sometimes your heart cuts a fart. That's the cosmic shame.<br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br><br><br><br><a href="http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab230/notjonahbutnoah/gear/DSCN1552.jpg" target="_blank">Charvel So Cals</a> <a href="http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab230/notjonahbutnoah/Guitars2012labeledsmaller.png" target="_blank">More Guitars</a> <a href="http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab230/notjonahbutnoah/2012-09-14_21-28-57_684-1.jpg" target="_blank">Amp</a> <a href="http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab230/notjonahbutnoah/DSCF1480.jpg" target="_blank">Pedals</a><br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.theinvoluntarys.com" target="_blank"><u>My Band Site w/ Player</u></a><br><br></font></div>

Comment

Boy, it has been a while since we've had a good Epiphone - Gibson comparison thread. Thank Heaven for this one!
              <div class="signaturecontainer">I am not stupid, I just don't type very well.<br />
              <br />
              God created everything, including evolution.</div>

Comment

To me the Gibson is much better and worth the extra coin. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I would put my black Epi custom shop les paul up against a Gibson anyday, ive played loads of Gibsons and none feel better/sound better than my Epi..
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace/kodiakjackuk" target="_blank">www.myspace/kodiakjackuk</a></div>

Comment

Not really....Like I mentioned regarding the Fender/Squier size differences...the narrow nut width will feel different as will the thinner body; doesn't mean the guitar won't play/sound excellent, however. It just won't feel exactly the same as the Fender...

Comment

Boy, it has been a while since we've had a good Epiphone - Gibson comparison thread. Thank Heaven for this one!

I think if you have to ask which is better you've not played enough of either.

Comment

If you can't tell the difference or feel the difference is that big, then no.

Comment

The quality of a gibson build has far better workmanship and materials over a simular epiphone on most of the new stuff. Epiphone does have some High end guitars now but you have to compare apples with apples. Gibson too has made some low end guitars in the past that were junk. (i've owned a few of those) Some of the older epis from the 60s were equal or better than gibsons. (I owned a few of those too as well as modern versions) But say you want to compare an ES335 to an Epiphone DOT. Only an ignorant fool would think the two are anywheres near to being equal in the workmanship or tone quality.

This has zero to do with a musicians ability to p[lay an instrument though. That is strictly a separate issue all together. Unless the workmanship inspires or makes it easier to play the two subjects are completely unrelated.

Comment

This thread will be a **************** storm or maybe it already is... I only read the first three replies.

Here's my take. You usually get what you pay for and the average 2005 Gibson is absolutely better than the average 2005 Epiphone. Having said that, I have a 20020 Korean LP that plays super de duper great. It's had a lot of work done to it though. Still... as of right now, I have about $145 in it and I've played very, very few Gibsons in the last 20 years that I would say 'blow it out of the water'.

Having said THAT, I've played probably 100 Epis in my lifetime that I wouldn't have paid $50 for in terms of how they played off the shelf.

Having said THAT, the first Gibson 339 I played was absolutely terrible. I'd say, worse than the average of those 100 Epis. Maybe that's the factory's fault, maybe the humidity's fault, maybe the store's fault, but no $2,000 guitar should EVERY play that poorly.

Having said THAT, I'd love to have that guitar after 4 or 8 hours of work was put into it.

Again... let the **************** storm commence.
                            Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

See, I totally understand that Epi and Gibson are both capable of producing the exact same notes. They both have 6 strings, they both have 22 frets. It's not like one can create notes that the other cannot.

But I spent the money on a Gibson. I plan on playing this guitar for the rest of my life, and to me, it's worth the money.

I also have two pairs of shoes, two pairs of jeans, and a handful of shirts. Yes, I can afford more than that, but I don't give a **************** about clothing or shoes. I also got most of my furniture from the street curb (the only furniture I bought was a new mattress and a new futon for couch purposes). Yes, I can afford more, but I don't give a **************** about furniture.

So, to hear people ridicule those who spend money on a Gibson is absurd. We all have priorities in life.

Comment

So, to hear people ridicule those who spend money on a Gibson is absurd. We all have priorities in life.

QFT
                                <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Electric: Gibson LP Classic, Fender Marauder, Vintage V100, Vintage AV6P</b><br><br><br><br><b>Acoustic: Yamaha APX500</b></div>

Comment

Working...
                                X