What is this guys tone missing?

jr_vw2

• Members

Went and jammed with some guys the other night we recorded a song. Here is a short clip from it. close to the end of it one guitar stops playing for a second and its just the second guitar. The two tones dont seem to mix well to my ears, the second guitar sounds kind of thin compaired to the first guitar. What do these guys need to do to mesh better?

BTW im not playing guitar on this track im actually playing drums on this one.

• Members

I agree with all of you. It was the first time we all played together. And that was written in about a hour. We recorded it with a single ambient room mic. We were just planning on sending in with the singer so he could work on vocal ideas. But the guys wanted me to try and help their mix out.

• Members

It would help if we knew what gear they played with.

I disagree, I see this as counter productive.

When someone asks what's wrong with their tone then list their gear all they get are responses about buying this amp or those pickups and everyone loses sight of what has been asked.

If it's just the tone you are hearing then you can make suggestions made purely on the sound like less treble, more mids and maybe roll the volume back a bit or something.

• Members

The guitar that is playing by itself had more af a Marshall type tone, and the Guitar that drops out and comes back in has a more Recto type tone.

I think for the few seconds they were playing together they blended fairy well.

The Recto sounding amp was also louder than the marshall sounding amp.

I actually prefered the tone of the guitar playing alone.

• Members

Yeah, I was kind of hoping it would be a bit longer. Sometimes it's hard to judge how something sounds or fits together when all you have is the 10 second basic idea vs running through a verse and a chorus a couple times... I do think that for such a minimal recording, it's not horrible. There's just not enough of it there to get into the feel of it for me.

I also agree that there's zero reason we need to know the gear that is being used... it either sounds good or not and it either needs more treble, less bass, more compression or not, regardless of it was recorded on Diezels and ENGLs or a Line 6 Spider and a Fender Frontman with a pedal.

• Members

Went and jammed with some guys the other night we recorded a song. Here is a short clip from it. close to the end of it one guitar stops playing for a second and its just the second guitar. The two tones dont seem to mix well to my ears, the second guitar sounds kind of thin compaired to the first guitar. What do these guys need to do to mesh better?

BTW im not playing guitar on this track im actually playing drums on this one.

Right now I'm on my phone so I can't hear it. If it sounds thin my guess would be more kids.

Archived