X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars with Thin Necks

Which guitars have thin profile necks? I used to have an Ibanez S series
    guitar a long time ago, and remembered that was pretty thin. I'm considering
    getting an Ibanez RGA42FM which has a Wizard III neck.

How would a Strat neck compare in thickness? Which other brands
    should I check out?

I'm mainly interested in thin profile necks, because I've been having
    pain in my wrist lately. It's more likely from playing keyboard in my spare time,
    but the thickness of my Les Paul neck isn't helping. Maybe I should even consider
    something with a shorter scale?

RG's are really thin. Soloists are a bit thin as well, but not quite as thin.

Now for me I had to get rid of both because the necks were TOO thin and caused pain in my hands. Plenty of other people have complained about the same thing. I also think that the radius (curve of the fretboard) has a lot to do with it. If you chord a lot a nice small radius feels better, if you do a lot of shreddy solos a lot of people like bigger/flatter radius'd necks.
    AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

Comment

Had a Jackson RR24. Neck felt like a popsicle stick to me.
      Rivera K-Tre
      Randall T2

Carvin, Gibson, ESP

Good deals with: Shredtilurded, Juggernaut, Guillatool1( x2 ), MatrixClaw, CRANK,Clonexx, Chris the Asian, Slav123, lfrz93, ldonnell89, Khoifish321, bankboy, JJPSGAK, DTorg, jdr94, Yo_Squig, coolblues309, samthinguy, MorgMetal666, Uberthrall, Duke318, Harris, Katana, mctallica1, JerEvil, GuidanceofSin, phreddy, O'Rourke, Toshiro, the4thlast1, aywilson, shask, NeoAngelo, TomCray, scottcrud,sdgails, GibsonVMan, 100 watt

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I guess since I play a Les Paul regularly, that anything else will probably seem thinner!

I actually had my heart set on a Strat, or Tele at first. I like the hard-tail bridge on the Tele, but the contour of the Strat body. I'd actually love a Tele, but I'm thinking that the body will dig in my arm like my Les Paul does?

I guess I could always block the trem on a Strat. The only hardtail Strat I see these
        days that Fender still makes is the Robert Cray model. I've read though that not having the trem, makes it sound a bit different.

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I guess since I play a Les Paul regularly, that anything else will probably seem thinner!

I actually had my heart set on a Strat, or Tele at first. I like the hard-tail bridge on the Tele, but the contour of the Strat body. I'd actually love a Tele, but I'm thinking that the body will dig in my arm like my Les Paul does?

I guess I could always block the trem on a Strat. The only hardtail Strat I see these
          days that Fender still makes is the Robert Cray model. I've read though that not having the trem, makes it sound a bit different.

You could always block the strat trem, or build a parts tele from warmoth and order the body with an arm contour.
          Listen...

Comment

Hofner
            THE MAZI BEE MILITIA

Comment

Hard tail strat?
              How about a Hello Kitty strat? (I'm guilty, I have one haha)
              Joking aside, Tom Delonge strats come to mind. Maybe you'll have better luck in the states finding a used one. It's almost impossible to find one up in Canada.
              www.maverickguitar.ca

Comment

Has anyone played the Fender Lonestar Strat? I've had my eye on that one.
                Yes, I like traditional single-coil Strats, but I'm thinking the Lonestar might be a better choice for me right now. That way I could pretty much cover any genre of music.

Comment

Hard tail strat?
                  How about a Hello Kitty strat? (I'm guilty, I have one haha)
                  Joking aside, Tom Delonge strats come to mind. Maybe you'll have better luck in the states finding a used one. It's almost impossible to find one up in Canada.

I actually see Delonge, and Cray bodies on eBay from time to time. However, I'm not a fan of building a partscaster.
                  I'll see what's available used.

However, even though I'm not a fan of the tremolo. I can see instances of where I might use it.
                  Perhaps, for a Setzer styled version of Sleepwalk, or something like that.

Comment

Has anyone played the Fender Lonestar Strat? I've had my eye on that one.
                    Yes, I like traditional single-coil Strats, but I'm thinking the Lonestar might be a better choice for me right now. That way I could pretty much cover any genre of music.

I have a MIM Lonestar. If you are looking for a think neck I think you will like it. The pickups are a SD Pearly Gates + in the bridge and Texas Special single coils in the Neck and middle. The neck is, I think, a modern C. The combo of thinner neck and relatively narrow fretboard doesn't work for me. Becomes pretty uncomfortable for me to play after just a few minutes. Thinner neck plus wider fretboard works for me, such as on my Charvel and Jackson. I have no complaints about the tone of this guitar. It is very versatile and sounds very good. But ymmv. Try out a couple for yourself.
                    Gear:
                    G&L Legacy
                    Gibson Les Paul Traditional
                    Gibson Les Paul Studio
                    Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute(HB)
                    Gibson SG Standard
                    MIM Fender Classic '69 Tele Thinline Reissue
                    Egnater Tweaker
                    Peavey Classic 30 Head/212 Cab
                    Marshall DSL50
                    Lopo 2x12/Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell

Good Deals: Fretburner1

Comment

I have a Rickenbacker and the neck is fairly thin. I also picked up an Afinity Tele and the thing is real slim. After refretting it with super jumbos, It filled it out a bit. I like slim necks if they're faiely wide. If the strings are too crowded it makes it hard to pick individual strings or finger some chords. i have a different playing technique then most though. i use my thumb on the back of the neck when playing leads and barre chords. I dont wrap my thumb around a neck like most. That technique comes from playing a long scale bass and having to spider your fingers long distances to reach the frets.

I can play fatter necks of course. I may loose a littel speed with certain types of music but its really all just mind vs hand training.

Comment

You could always block the strat trem, or build a parts tele from warmoth and order the body with an arm contour.

Or just take a belt sander to the body a la Mr. Beck.
                        '99 Parker Fly Classic'06 Gibson ES335 Dot'01 Fender MIM Std Strat (w/ Lollars)'03 Gretsch 6118-120T'91 Fender Deluxe Strat Plus'90 Fender Custom Shop Setneck Tele'07 Xaviere XV-600'10 Dreamcaster'92 Gibson J150Fender Evil TwinFender Pro Jr.and a bunch o' other crap...

Comment

At one point, PRS made thin and thick carve necks. -- Don't know if they still do, but you could check.
                          You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

(Hey, if you like the avatar, check out the art work of John Howe)

Comment

You know, there is a Youtube video of G.E. Smith talking about his signature Telecaster when it was released.
                            He tells such a nice story about the Telecaster history, and what went into the design of his Tele (Using ideas
                            from the original Fender lap-steels.)

Anyway, I've always wanted a Tele. I'm just worried about the body becoming uncomfortable to play
                            after a while. I'd probably get used to it, considering I currently play a Les Paul.

You guys will laugh, but when I was a bit younger I had major G.A.S. I owned a Fender '62 Strat
                            reissue, and was totally bored with it. I didn't care for the gloss neck, and the tremolo didn't
                            do much for me.

I've never owned a Tele, so maybe I should try a few. A Classic Vibe would probably do for now.
                            That way I'd still have a thinner profile neck over the Les Paul, and still have a hardtail bridge.

Comment

The old Peavey T-60's have fairly thin necks. Not enough to bug me, but I've seen some who dislike thin necks complain about them here.

Visit Crash Pad at:
                              http://CrashPadBand.com
                              CONSUME!:
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
                              Gear List/Pics:
                              https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

Working...
                              X