NGD (and tremelo question)

sxyryan

• Members

Some of you may saw that I had a head up on the classifieds. Well, I had it on craigslist, and a local guy emailed me. I mainly wanted a new delay, and he offered the one I wanted, but to even out the deal he told me to come over and check out what he had.

Long story short, he was very nice, but a little strange, and had a ton of stuff. I got my Memory Man with hazarai, he tried the head out, and offered me a few things. Some stuff was cool, like old fender extention cabs, and small vox combos (mainly solid state practice amps. Decent sounding but I don't really need a practice amp). Nothing I needed or really had the space for. Then he showed me a pair of Ibanez RG's, and by this point I kinda wanted to get out of there. Everything was was covered in grime and the place had a strange smell.

So I grabbed the prettier RG, a strap and a gigbag and called it an even trade.

Pictures:

IMG_20110307_222326.jpg

IMG_20110307_222337.jpg

IMG_20110307_222316.jpg

Anyway, the RG's aren't really my style. I'm a vintagey kind of guy. But every once in a while I like to shred a little (or pretend to) I don't know a whole lot about the RG series. I believe this is a lower end one (270 DX it says on the back of the headstock). Despite that, I am impressed with the playability of it. The neck and middle are stock. I think the bridge is a swap, and I am seriously in love with it. SD Invader. If the guitar gets flipped I will probably hang on to this guy. Thick and heavy sounding, loooovee it. So I am pleasantly surprised with the guitar, and will keep it around for at least a little while.

• Members

So my question:

It has a licensed Floyd on it. The guitar is 12 years old, according to the stamps in the neck pocket.

I'm having a really hard time getting it to stay in tune. I had an SX strat with a Floyd that stayed in tune way better.

The parts don't look worn out...

I do have it strung with fairly heavy strings, something like heavy bottom 11's. I would normally use 9's or 10's but it needed strings bad and that is all I had around. I currently have it in D standard.

I'm having tuning issues even without touching the Floyd. Would it be a waste of time to get a new nut or should I just get a new Floyd assembly? Is the 80 some dollar one that Guitar Fetish sells any good (not the speed loader, the other kind)? I like the guitar but spending 180 on a Schaller Floyd is pushing it.

I have some experience with double locking trems, but not as much as with more vintage styled bridge systems. So any tips would be appreciated. I do have some experience though, as I had that SX strat for a while, and had fairly solid tuning on it (especially for it being a 120 dollar guitar).

• Members

I only use 9s on my floyd. It stays in tune really well. I literally locked the nut, and a year later changed the strings (not my main guitar). I had to do fine tunings, but that was it. Whoever says licensed floyds suck, is wrong in my case. It is a Washburn licensed floyd. It is really good. I tried 10's, and they did not get along, too strong. I only use a standard tuning. I don't know if people use heavier strings or not, but they 10's were too much for me. I am like you, I want to pretend to shred on occasion. Or, I use it for 80's songs I used to play, in the 80's.

• Members

I had an RG220B at one point (bought it for $100 used with a Dimarzio EVO in the bridge). It had a REALLY crappy single locking licensed Floyd on it.....no markings on the top of the bridge plate so it was probably the cheapest LFR Ibanez could source at the time. Does yours have this same trem as I can't tell from the pics? They are both from the 200 series so I'm guessing it does.

• Members

Maybe the new strings are just getting stretched and once they adjust, it'll be fine.

Maybe the thicker strings are putting more pressure on the springs and once they adjust, it'll be fine.

Congrats on the new guitar. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

• Members

Do Floyd's not like heavier strings? I set it up so the tension is fine with the heavier strings, but I wonder if the locking nut isn't able to get a good grip on the strings?

I had trouble with some slippage with my RG350. I fixed it by taking the string locks of and coarse filing them 90 degrees (sideways) from the string direction. Worked great.

I doubt you need to replace the bridge, just work out the set-up.

HNGD! Enjoy!

Archived