How to cure GAS

Willyguitar

• Members

So, I tried out a Les Paul Traditional today, listed on a popular auction site, thinking that it might be good to get a Les Paul with humbuckers to complement my Junior. The guy selling was a real gent, and let me bring along my AC30 and Les Paul Junior for reference, and left me alone to really go for it. So, the guitar was nice and everything (certainly had a lovely neck and looked good)... but I'm sorry to say, my Junior blew it out of the water. The Junior was so much more alive, both in terms of the sound and the way the guitar resonated. And the sound was both clearer and stronger, tighter overdrive and more chimey cleans but still fat when you need it (OK, more trebly and less smooth, but seemingly a much better match for the amp, and still able to get very much into the ball park of a standard Les Paul with humbuckers).

So, all in all, it wasn't a wasted trip, because it seems to have put my Les Paul gas to rest for the moment!

So, I guess moral of the story is... if in doubt, take your favourite/regular guitar to A/B with a new one, to be sure you really want/need it.

• Members

I like the way you chaps take time to read the OP!

However, you are right, that would be another (actually much more enjoyable) way to cure GAS.

Actually, I did read the OP - I just couldn't help myself. Anyway, don't rule out Les Pauls in general. Even at a higher pricepoint, not all guitars are the same. Some come from better wood, some are better put together, some will speak to you. That said, if you want to leave it at that, believe me, more power to you.

• Members

....and how to stoke it back up:wave:

Les Paul on the neck pickup....Jnr CANNOT do that

Who needs a neck pickup? For wimps! That's really good actually. I saw him live in about 1998. I must admit, whenever I have played a solo with the neck pickup of a les paul, I can't quite help my face twingeing a bit into a guitar face. It's like when you know you are going to do a shart after eating too much daal the night before.

• Members

Do you have a Jr from the 50's?

No, it's a 2009 one, but it has a late 1950s P90 in it... which is fatter and a bit darker than the modern Gibson P90s from what I can tell, although most people on here seemed to actually prefer the modern one! I don't agree with them.

• Members

For me, what killed GAS was getting what I'd GASed for and realizing that I didn't need most of it. A lot of it was great to have, but it didn't magically make me a better player or even a significantly better sounding one. I learned alot about what I like and dislike in gear in the process, but I also learned that wants and need isn't the same thing. I wish I could have learned that without spending that kind of money, but apparently I'm a slow learner.

And I agree - comparing what you already have with whatever you're GASing for is a great way to quench it

• Members

I don't need more guitars. I need more talent!

My guitar gas is pretty much done. It ended when I went and played a bunch of guitars to see if I should refret my MIM strat or put the money into something much better like a Deluxe. I did the refret cause I couldn't find a single guitar at GC that felt better than my strat.

• Members

My GAS is usually cured by a trip to the local Guitar Center or Sam Ash. I try out half a dozen guitars or so, then realize than none of them are better than what I already have. Then I go home, get on the internet, and the cycle starts over again.

• Members

My GAS is usually cured by a trip to the local Guitar Center or Sam Ash. I try out half a dozen guitars or so, then realize than none of them are better than what I already have. Then I go home, get on the internet, and the cycle starts over again.

Wow, that sounds familiar.:p Kinda like lookin at those girlies in a magazine, nice to lust after vicariously but after awhile you start to realize the hidden costs associated with high maintenance ownership.:eek:

Archived