What kind of SD single coils "match" the output of a JB?

timrocker

• Members

Hi Everybody,

I'm about to get new pickups for my 91 usa strat. I've settled on a JB for the bridge, kind of due to Matthias Jabs using it on his signature strat, and due to its popularity. I figure if I hate it, I can always turn it around for a slight loss. What Seymour Duncan single coils will go well with that, so that I can switch to hum/middle, middle, and middle/neck without too much volume drop? I'll be using one of those Stew-Mac switches to shut off one coil of the JB when in position 2. Thanks!

PS anyone have a similar setup already?

• Members

None will come close to matching the output. I had a JB with with two APS1s for a while. They sounded nice and stratty and in fact, I liked them so much, I got a set of similar SSL2s for another guitar, but there was a pretty radical drop off in volume going from the JB to any other position. Not to say there aren't a lot of single coils that would work well in the same guitar, but you aren't going to find any traditional single coils that can come anywhere close to the output of the JB.

• Members

I have a JB Jr. in the bridge of one of my Strats. The other two pickups are Fender Texas Specials. They mix well. There could be a volume drop, but I adjusted my pickup height, and now there's no problem at all. Now, the JB Jr. isn't the same as the full-sized JB, but since it is a similar setup, I thought I'd chime in. A set of Duncan's Texas-wound single coils may work well (I figure every pickup company has a set like that, but I don't know what the Duncan models are off-hand). I like my JB Jr. in my Strat. I'm not the biggest fan of a full JB, but they crunch amps pretty well.

• Members

Hi Everybody,

I'm about to get new pickups for my 91 usa strat. I've settled on a JB for the bridge, kind of due to Matthias Jabs using it on his signature strat, and due to its popularity. I figure if I hate it, I can always turn it around for a slight loss. What Seymour Duncan single coils will go well with that, so that I can switch to hum/middle, middle, and middle/neck without too much volume drop?
I'll be using one of those Stew-Mac switches to shut off one coil of the JB when in position 2
. Thanks!

PS anyone have a similar setup already?

Just to the highlighted - I imagine you know that this will cause quite a volume drop? If you're going to split it in the mid/bridge position then a lot of regular singlecoils should roughly match

• Members

And just to throw out there, having that volume drop isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can use it to your advantage, depending on what kind of music you play. You can use it as a built in boost, depending on the song you are playing.

• Members

It sounds like there are a couple of other possibilities I wasn't considering. One, get a JB Jr. instead of a full size JB. Two, live with the volume drop. Three, get two JB's instead, and use a 3-position LP style switch.

At any rate, I'm prepared to live with a certain amount of volume drop. My current guitar has it, and it hasn't been so bad. I just wanted to see what results other guys were getting.

Thanks for the helps!

• Members

I can not recommend highly enough the JB, Cool Rail, Lil'59 (HSS) combination wired using a push/pull for coil taps. I have a Warmoth build setup like this, it is one of my favorate guitars. The pickups are all well balanced/matched and with the coil tap it covers a huge amount of sonic territory.

1.jpg' alt='>'>

2.jpg

Archived