Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today, a guy told me that people who buy more than one good guitar got no talent

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Some folks in this thread need to understand formal logic. Saying that a player who has many guitar is a crappy player does not mean that a person who has one guitar is a good player -- he can still be a crappy player. This is the difference between 'if' and 'only if' statements.

    I personally am of the camp that those with lots of guitars, who are not professional players (Rich Robinson and Slash can have as many guitars as they want) tend to be, on average, not so stellar as players. I say this as the owner of several guitars. I like buying guitars and playing and getting different sounds, but this is not playing guitar -- it's a slightly different hobby. It makes sense that the person who dedicates all his resources to playing the guitar will be a better player than the person whose resources are divided amongst playing, reading gear reviews, buying, selling, changing pickups, etc.



    No way, I disagree. Knowing how to care for and set-up the instrument you use if pretty much PART of being a good player. If you don't know how to adjust action, how do you know what you prefer? If you don't have pickups that carry the spectrum of sound you want, how long can you continue practicing and NOT getting the sounds you're striving for?

    Can people get caught up in the wrong details and lose track of developing as players? YES. But making the jump from that to considering it an IF=THEN type statement, you're nuts. I highly doubt the two are that closely linked or related. I know a LOT of guys who can't tune, change pickups, adjust action, intonate, change strings (yup, some people can't even do that), and own only one guitar. And guess what? Most of them are crappy guitarists with out of tune, flat, dull sounding guitars that are poorly intonated. And they practice rarely because of it.

    The two are not really related. Some people focus and apply themselves, some don't. Some like the tech and gear aspect of the art. Some don't. The two are absolutely positively NOT RELATED IN ANY WAY AT ALL! There are some lazy guys who don't practice with 30 guitars who suck, and there are guys who had one guitar for 30 years who don't practice and ALSO suck. And vice versa, there are some damned good player (DAMNED GOOD - OP anyone?) with a whole ****************load of guitars who still work their ass off and practice.
    My Music
    My Youtube Videos








    Originally Posted by RaVenCAD


    I'll be the first to admit that I can say some pretty stupid stuff.. Some a-hole is gonna sig that, but I don't care..

    Comment


    • #62
      My guess is there were ~50 in the audience... three of them were looking at each other with a 'WTF?' look on their faces and everyone else was clueless to the tragedy that was occurring mere feet in front of them.





      WRONG - this concert was genius marketing: Note they're playing outside a music store. As soon as the potential crowd heard the band, they all WENT INSIDE SHOPPING to get away from the band. Or better yet, the band started playing AFTER the customers entered the store, so now they have 200 shoppers trapped inside that are afraid of walking out of that store. I heard some guy bought 5 drumkits that day, because every time he went to walk out the door the band would launch into another one of his favorite songs. The store made MILLIONS that day.
      My Music
      My Youtube Videos








      Originally Posted by RaVenCAD


      I'll be the first to admit that I can say some pretty stupid stuff.. Some a-hole is gonna sig that, but I don't care..

      Comment


      • #63
        ill tell you what sonny, you fix that sloppy, stumbly, out of time intro on "that think you like" from your bands website THEN you can tell me how many guitars and what bands im allowed.

        Nothing is worse than the hotshot know it all guitarist (that isnt half as good as they think they are)


        I see nothing wrong with his timing on that song. Maybe because Aenimated is the drummer? Learn to spell "Thing" before you talk down to someone. Illiteracy always makes you look stupid, in writing. I'm sure in person you're perfectly eloquent.

        Oh, and he's right. I bought a bazillion guitars thinking I needed a broad palette of tones. Then I threw the same pickups and hardware on 90% of em, and even now I'll do recording sessions where weeks later I can't remember which guitar I used, and couldn't tell by listening to it at all.

        Some guitars have a more noticeable difference than others, but most good players have such a developed style that most anything they play will have a pretty similar tone, barring the difference between single coils and buckers, etc....

        I'm not claiming to be a great player, by any means, but I'm more likely to say I bought my guitars because the change of scenery is inspiring. It's not like there's some magical tone none of my guitars can get that forced me to buy a new one. As long as you got a guitar with singles, a guitar with buckers, and maybe a guitar with some p-90's, you can get most any tone you'll ever need.
        My Music
        My Youtube Videos








        Originally Posted by RaVenCAD


        I'll be the first to admit that I can say some pretty stupid stuff.. Some a-hole is gonna sig that, but I don't care..

        Comment


        • #64
          i have come to the conclusion that he is some form of god. no mere mortal has that many guitars/pedals/amp/anything. "It boggles my mind. His collection is the most glorious and true expression of GAS.To each his own though. Amazing collection of beauties. It takes some seriously messed up OCD to compile a collection like that.I hate BBreaker. Damn, I hate him.Suck it.We learned that bbreaker is some sort of god. A god of whine.fk this guy.
          __________________

          Comment


          • #65
            WRONG - this concert was genius marketing: Note they're playing outside a music store. As soon as the potential crowd heard the band, they all WENT INSIDE SHOPPING to get away from the band. Or better yet, the band started playing AFTER the customers entered the store, so now they have 200 shoppers trapped inside that are afraid of walking out of that store. I heard some guy bought 5 drumkits that day, because every time he went to walk out the door the band would launch into another one of his favorite songs. The store made MILLIONS that day.
            LOLz...this may well be the most coherent explanation for that video yet offered.

            Comment


            • #66
              Leo Fender didnt even play guitar and his name is on literally MILLIONS of guitars.

              what does this mean? I dunno.
              _________________________________________________

              stuff:
              52RI Tele
              Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
              more stuff:
              65 Twin Reverb Reissue
              Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate


              The REAL Angry

              Comment


              • #67
                and hope the new guitars will make them play better.


                I would have punched him right in the beezer with my talentless hands .... but I had a Musicians Friend catalog in em at the time....


                Hah..You could make the same statement and replace the "people who have more than one good guitar" part with "people with no tattoos", or "people under 6 ft tall", or "people who like budweiser",,etc,, and you would ruffle some feathers.

                And you could reverse all of the above and accomplish the same thing :-D

                Comment


                • #68
                  The 'one good guitar' guy sounds like a philosopher. People who spend their time spouting philosophy are doomed to remain unknown for their guitar talent. Here's some more guitar philosophy....

                  Guitars are like potato chips, it's really hard to have just one. People who can't afford more than one guitar are often jealous of people who can afford many. Natural guitar talent helps, but hard work can get you pretty far. People with lots of woodshedding time tend to seem more talented. If you play guitar because it makes you happy, you are doing it for the best reason. People should be able to spend their money as they see fit, so if buying guitars puts a smile on your face, you probably live a happy life. Don't let other people get you down about buying guitars. It doesn't matter if shopping, playing or both make you happy. If you buying a guitar makes other people uncomfortable, that's their problem, not yours. We all have the right to live our lives the way we please.
                  I don't give a d.a.m.n about hypes, fanclubs or tonal religions. All I care about is what works for me."...it's not religion that's the problem, but any system of thought that insists that one group of people are inviolably in the right, whereas the others are in the wrong and must somehow be punished." ~ Rod LiddleJROCKBRIDGE MUSIC

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    The person who said this is absolutely right. The watermark for talent vs no talent is 9 guitars as that is how many I own right now.

                    Seriously though how do you explain people like Slash or Richards or anyone with hundreds of them? People buy more guitars because they can and they enjoy them. It's about the same as saying that guys with lots of cars can't drive; it's a culture of collecting to a point and it's something for enjoyment. I play every one of my guitars and each fits a specific sonic area that I enjoy. None of them make me better and I know that going into it.

                    Sounds like Douchey McGee is broke and is jealous and is trying to make himself feel better for being broke. You should have told him that people that drop out of school only have one guitar because they're jealous broke asses.
                    AxeFXII with these: Axis | BMG RS | Strat |N4| LP Classic | SG Classic | Sheraton | Tele

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      where did mine come from?

                      from being a ****************ing rockstar developer.


                      I chuckled. I'm going to use that line at the end of an obviously failed job interview at some point.
                      Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

                      "When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        My guitars get none of the credit, but all of the blame for my hacking abilities.
                        "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." – David St. Hubbins

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          WINNING!

                          _________________________________________________

                          stuff:
                          52RI Tele
                          Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                          more stuff:
                          65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                          Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate


                          The REAL Angry

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            I think the guy is wrong, but I think there is some validity to what he is saying. The folks who claim they need 10-20+ guitars to cover all the sonic bases are just delusional I think. I feel like you could get almost ANY sound you want with like 5 guitars. That said, it doesn't mean you suck if you own 20 guitars. It just means you are also interested in collecting the guitars as well as playing them.

                            And I would also bet what the guy said is much more valid at places like Harmony Central, The Gear Page, Rig Talk, etc. There are probably WAY more people on these forums who suck and have lots of guitars. I'm sure there are a lot of really great players here, but I'm sure there are are more players who suck and read gear reviews and keep buying **************** too.

                            For the record, I have one guitar and I kind of suck. I've bought and sold a few guitars just because its fun to get a new guitar. It keeps it fresh and makes practicing easier. I've never really bought/sold a guitar because I didn't like the sound of the one I had. I've also never bought a guitar in person. Every guitar I've purchased was via the internet, so I'm sure that factors in a little to my moving onto the next one.
                            Heatware

                            Other good deals: guitarzan1143, stevestevens, Metlupass2, Ambitot Pu Phan, papadotas (x2), Dehumanize

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              I practiced the most when I had only one good electric guitar...now I have lots of gear but spend more time noodling with it and less time practicing.

                              Multiple guitars and tons of toys are really fun, but can be a distraction from the playing itself. Just like posting on HC as opposed to arpeggiating the Mixolydian mode in thirds over the entire neck ascending then descending etc etc etc.
                              I've been posting here for years, but lost everything with HC 2.0!

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Ehh... Whatever makes that guy happy. Personally, I don't see myself owning Bbreaker amount of guitars, but definately multiple
                                Originally Posted by Hopeless


                                I wouldn't recommend them for metal, but then I also wouldn't recommend playing metal.









                                Originally Posted by Django Sentenza


                                When you've founded an entire branch of science dedicated to quantifying taste, get back to me.

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X