Today, a guy told me that people who buy more than one good guitar got no talent

Frets99

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well, some people like playing guitars and some like buying them. Different strokes. Me, I like playing and writing music, and this doesn't require really playing a lot of guitar so instead I get to buy guitars.

• Members

I find that different instruments are like different brushes to a painter. Some are fat and bold and some are tiny and thin. Anyway. That's what I think.

Exactly, which explains why Rembrandt was such a no talent loser. He needed more than one brush to do a painting.

• Members

He's got a point.

I've bought and sold between 60-80 guitars over the last 3 years trying to prove or disprove the notion that if I find a beautiful enough shredder guitar, I will be instantaneously able to play like Reb Beach and/or Dan Huff.

I think I've mostly disproved it. But the point is, I pinned my hopes on the guitar, not on practicing.

• Members

I find that different instruments are like different brushes to a painter. Some are fat and bold and some are tiny and thin. Anyway. That's what I think.

+1 Even if you use thousands of dollars worth of rack equipment, you're not going to make a Les Paul, sound quite like a Rickenbacker 360. Also, none of my other guitars sounds, or plays quite like my Danelectro MOD 7, 7-string. I were to stick to the playing philosophy, Mr. "You Only Need One Good Guitar If You Have Talent" espouses, it would be a real pain on stage. There would be delays for retuning for alternate tunings - even moreso for tunings that are better handled by 7-string guitaris, such as Drop A. Standard 6-string guitars don't handle tuningls like those, without major setup changes. Changing back and forth between standard tuning, and say Drop A tuning (which I tune my 7-string to), would engender all sorts of problems with a regular 6 string guitar, such as sloppy playing (and sounding) low strings, and neck relief changes. To top it off, to keep from losing the higher register notes, while playing a standard 6 string in Drop A, would require some tunings that while they may be fun to do, could be limited for playing certain intervalic passages on guitar.

Nah, Mr. "Having Any More Than One Good Guitar Shows A Lack Of Talent" is pretty limited in his thinking. Sure, you can't change from being a talentless hack, into a guitar phenom, without practicing, and instead, buying guitars, out of the hope that the guitar you buy wil turn you into a good player. But, the guy must be assuming that everybody only plays in one genre of music, with one set guitar tone (and level of distortion for that matter), and never varies their playing, sound, and music styles. If that were the case (like say, only wanting to sound like every guitar on Boston's first album), then yeah, I'd probably only need one guitar. But, that's definitely not the case for me.

Also, even with the above thoughts in mind, why should I have only one good guitar? I should forgo buying a decent sounding and playing guitar, that fulfills the purpose I want it for, and buy a guitar that's not as good, just because I already have a good guitar in my arsenal, and shouldn't "waste my money" on buying another good guitar? That's silly!

• Members

Haha, oh noes, my world is crushed!

But wait, there's still hope... if I SELL all my guitars I'll be SUPER talented! By the inverse law of guitar acquisition in proportion to guitar talent! That guy's like a {censored}ING EINSTEIN!

When I hear tools spout crap like that, I always have to wonder why they're not big stars themselves? I mean, it's pretty simple, and they've got it all sussed.

:facepalm:

• Members

Some folks in this thread need to understand formal logic. Saying that a player who has many guitar is a crappy player does not mean that a person who has one guitar is a good player -- he can still be a crappy player. This is the difference between 'if' and 'only if' statements.

I personally am of the camp that those with lots of guitars, who are not professional players (Rich Robinson and Slash can have as many guitars as they want) tend to be, on average, not so stellar as players. I say this as the owner of several guitars. I like buying guitars and playing and getting different sounds, but this is not playing guitar -- it's a slightly different hobby. It makes sense that the person who dedicates all his resources to playing the guitar will be a better player than the person whose resources are divided amongst playing, reading gear reviews, buying, selling, changing pickups, etc.

Archived