Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today, a guy told me that people who buy more than one good guitar got no talent

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would YOU have punched him? You only have one good guitar don't you - and plenty of talent?

Me, on the other hand, lots of good guitars...and I wouldn't have punched him but I may have 'dropped' a cabinet or something on him.

Generalizations make the world go round and certainly spark passionate internet discussions. Sociology is pretty much the study of generalizations. Generalizations are useful enough until you start believing that a Puerto Rican from Brooklyn can't possibly love to play bluegrass....
    Campbell UK-1
    http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
    https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

I fail to see how that statement makes any sense at all. How does the the number of good guitars one has directly relate to the amount of talent one has? Talk about a 'facepalm & walk away' moment...
      PRS Tremonti Signature in Charcoal Burst
      Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (Electric Lime)
      PRS SE One
      --
      EVH 5150 III 50w / 212 5150 III cab
      Blackstar HT-5

Comment

the tipoff should have been his poor English '..got no talent'.

Comment

No talent hacks!!!

www.heddatheband.com

Comment

I only own 3 and I still suck!

stuff:
            52RI Tele
            Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
            more stuff:
            65 Twin Reverb Reissue
            Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

There are two different ways to look at a player with lots of guitars. The most common perception is the one stated by that dolt you met...buying lots of guitars in the hope that the next one will make you better. The second is buying lots of guitars because you're so good, with so many different styles and techniques in your repertoire, that you need a number of different guitars at your disposal in order to properly express them all.

Oh...and you have alot of disposable income as well...
              ...when I'm 64...

Comment

For the record I own 16 guitars....

Some history of my experiences with other activities...
                I played Div1 tennis
                I play to a low single digit in Golf

GENERALLY, the people cared the most about their equipment were the crappiest players....

This seems to be the point of the original person as well- I think in many ways this is true. As someone that USED to be a gigging musician for 12 years (as a bassist) I bought one good bass, a nice amp, a ZOOM bass effects pedal (for some covers I needed some effects) a wireless unit and that was it. I was happy as hell for 12 years with my ONE "good guitar"(bass) and now that I am fully a "hobby" musician, I love to buy, sell, trade, and otherwise swap guitars and gear- mostly because I'm not getting better as a player, so I might as well enjoy my limited skills in as many ways possible
                Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Creativity is a Work Ethic

Comment

it runs to both ends of the spectrum..
                  the very best player i know personally only has 3 guitars.. and he says he will never buy another one...

the worse player i know of is about to buy a new strat after buying a few gibbys and a whole **************** load of other guitars.. he just dose not have it.. he has no music in his soul and just tries to improve by buying it..

i never assume any more that the cat a lot of guitars is a better player.. not any more not after the internet.. but i also know a few cats who buy lots of gear and can play.. but they dont get hung up on gear.. they play..

so you never know... but dont assume just because some cat has stacks of wood and wire he plays.. some folks just like to look the part.. and talk the game..
                  know all the buzz words and take pretty photos.. the is no correlation..
                  not that i can tell..
                  Electric Cowbell.. meh...
                  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Scuzzo's Sound Clicks
                  Mixed for Headphones only
                  all pictures sound the same....
                  The"Let Me Hear Your Original Works" please feel free to add your stuff..
                  Funk
                  Avaunt-Guard
                  Blues
                  Jazz

Comment

What would he think of guys with more than 20?
                    Originally Posted by GW348

I just let the pee flow. The places I play, no one notices or have peed themselves too.

RIP Wayne Murray

**************** YOU CANCER!!

Comment

I play what I want to play, and I play it how I want to play it. **************** anyone that wants to tell me differently. Y'all really care that much about what someone else, particulary a stranger, has to say? There are much better players than me, likewise, I am much better than others, but as long as I can express/convey or release the emotion I want out of my instruments, what exactly does all that matter?
                      Member of the SG Army

Favorable trades with: _pete_, vidiot72, noiseannoys, lonnie99

Comment

funny how the photos posted show dudes with pretty much the same guitars (all of whom are rich rockstars) but the overwhelming argument is for different "tones."

gimme a ****************in break. unless you're in some crappy cover band, you only need your own "tone." and if you're in some crappy cover band ... well, god help you. that must be incredibly boring.

Not necessarily. Crappy original bands can be even more boring.
                        Originally Posted by GW348

I just let the pee flow. The places I play, no one notices or have peed themselves too.

RIP Wayne Murray

**************** YOU CANCER!!

Comment

I have a talent for finding really good guitars at really good prices . . . and then playing them really badly.

Yesssssss ... I resemble that remark.

Comment

Considering how many guitars I have, compared to an utter lack of talent, that guy may be on to something...

~Heel

Comment

I've got four electrics and two acoustics and a bass.

I've been playing for 32 years though and many of them have different aspects to their sound that none of them are really duplicates.

-passive single/double coil strat
                              -active single/double coil set neck strat
                              -passive low output les paul style with coil taps/phase split
                              -hexaphonic pickup for connection to guitar-to-midi/v guitar modules
                              -high output passive double coil neck thru
                              -piezo acoustic

All of these flavors are different and come up with a lot of different tones. But you'd be surprised how much I fixate on one guitar and months and work on that.

Comment

Some people like to make stupid generalizations.

I resemble that remark!
                                Finally learning to enjoy something besides metal......and it Hurts!

Comment

Working...
                                X