Collapse
No announcement yet.

change guitar or amp?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the Blue Dog is Weber's take on the Celestion Blue. They definitely don't sound identical.... the Blue Dog is more of a creamy Celestion Blue with more bottom end and less compression.

I had an AC15CC1 and have an AC15H1TV and I tried both amps through a 50W ceramic Blue Dog and the 15W Alnico Celestion. For the CC1, I think I actually preferred the Blue Dog as that amp was slightly kinda harsh (I use single coils 90% of the time) and the Blue Dog smoothed it out a bit. Not to mention it costs $200 less and if you get the 50W version, it will pretty much last forever in the AC15.

I think it's the biggest improvement that can be made to the CC1. The C1 has the Greenback which is great in its own way, but warmer sounding than I prefer from a Vox. I'd definitely go for the Blue Dog.

But yeah.. with your last couple posts, I think I'd think about ditching the Super Champ entirely and getting either a new C1 or a used CC1 and getting the Blue Dog as funds allow. I personally would do this before changing out the pickups. Having said that, I had the CC1 for a couple years and have had the AC15H1TV for a couple years now and I do prefer brighter single coils with both amps. I have one strat with a set of Duncan SSL2s that sounds spectacular on the bridge+middle or bridge+neck positions. In fact, that guitar through that amp is probably my second favorite tone I can dial in right now. Duncan SSL1s and SSL2s can usually be bought for $80 used or so. I have several higher end sets of pickups but sometimes, everything just comes together with certain pairings.

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Don

Comment

I believe that the amp is the biggest part of your tone in almost any situation.

Having said that, I'm kind of scratching my head and wondering why you're not able to get the tone you'd like out of the Strat you have now plus the Super Champ XD. I have that same amp and I can get all kinds of usable tones out of it, including a dynamic Fender-style clean. Plus some decent effects. I'm stumped.

Instead of doing something as dramatic as getting rid of your guitar or amp, you could attempt a smaller fix like getting a new speaker or trying new pickups. Truly, those smaller changes can have a big impact on tone, for sure. Unless you absolutely hate the Super Champ, and for practice sessions, I can't see why you would, hang onto it. Just my .02.

Comment

If you're going to do anything I vote new amp.
          Had a band, played some shows, made a CD... Got a Job - Project Studio, Fender, Gibson, Crook,Wolfgang guitars, VOX Tube amps, Ibanez Bass

Comment

Amp.
            Listen...

Comment

Amp first. But I would just use your mexican strat until you can afford another upgrade to something nicer. Sure a pickup change might improve the sound a bit, but in my opinion a great strat is much much more than nice pickups. And it usually starts from an amazingly resonant body. Find one with a body like that an you're set.

Comment

amp... get the best amp you can

Comment

Upgrade the amp. The SCXD is a nice emulating practice/small gig amp, I have one too, but the Vox is more of "the real deal".
                  A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                  HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                  Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                  I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Another vote for the amp...you might consider looking into a used Laney VC-series amp, however...

Comment

amp. you should play YOUR that you currently have until you get another. that's what you should base your decision on.

Comment

The Strat MIM or MIA will sound basicly the same. GET the AMP.

Comment

Can you take your current guitar to the store where you are trying the AC15 and see if it gets the sounds you want? Even better, A/B that with your current set up? I suspect a Mex deluxe strat will only sound marginally different to a MIA strat, although the latter may well play better. However, the amp will make a much bigger difference.

Those 'super' champs, I understand, have about 16 voices or something like that... a bit surprised you can't find one you like. However, I am a Vox fan and I can quite believe that the Champ's approximation to Vox won't be as strong as a 'real' Vox.
                          My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

Comment

However, I am a Vox fan and I can quite believe that the Champ's approximation to Vox won't be as strong as a 'real' Vox.

This is true, also. If you need real-deal Vox chime, get the AC. (If you need real-deal Fender cleans or reverb, however, you already have it. )

Comment

I've been through this dilemma as well, as I only started playing a few years ago. My thoughts:

- A good amp with a lousy guitar trumps a good guitar with a lousy amp (I went from a Silvertone 5W practice amp to a Peavey Classic 30 - like night and day!).

- You have an MIM Deluxe Strat - these are good guitars. If you had a bullet Strat (which aren't even that bad, IMHO), I might have recommended upgrading that. But your guitar is good.

- The best thing is practice. At the beginning, I was frustrated, and assumed that all the cat and ferret noises coming from my amplifier were a result of the guitar and the amp. So I bought my Classic 30. But much of it was due to fretting too hard (sharpening the notes), poor picking technique, accidentally muting due to poor left-hand technique, and so on. I can't stress what a huge difference I saw after taking private lessons with a great teacher. He corrected my technique, and I began improving far faster than if I had gone it alone. Now, I can sound decent with that little Silvertone, even if I do sound better after switching to the Classic 30. I'm never satisfied with how I play, and have so much to learn, but when I step back and think of what I can play now, and how much I know, I really have come a long way.

- (and the only way to do that is with practice, not plastic.)

I love Vox amps. Get the AC15, and play the hell out of it. And if you can afford it, look at some lessons with a good teacher, too.

EDIT: I see you already have a Super Champ. Those are great. My advice: don't sell it - keep it, save up your money, and then buy the AC 15.
                              Yamaholic
                              American Special Stratocaster, Yamaha SA-503 TVL, Telecaster, Partscaster, Peavey Classic 30

Comment

Amp first. But I would just use your mexican strat until you can afford another upgrade to something nicer. Sure a pickup change might improve the sound a bit, but in my opinion a great strat is much much more than nice pickups. And it usually starts from an amazingly resonant body. Find one with a body like that an you're set.

"resonant body" good point. That's the feeling I found when play some american standard Strat. Something I can get response.
                                ASAP - as slow as possible
                                KISS - keep it simple & stupid

Comment

Working...
                                X