How to setup a prs se singlecut

HikaruGunner

• Members

I recently bought a PRS SE Singlecut on ebay and I wish I didn't because the thing is very used and it plays a mess, but what done is done and now I need to setup the guitar so it's playable at the very least. It didn't come with a hex tool to adjust the truss rod, anyone knows wich size is it so I can buy one?

Thanks

• Members

I'm sorry, can you show me an example of that tube socket, maybe a link in the internet. And btw, do you know the size of the the two allen set screws facing the tail end of the guitar (mine is a hard tail) so I can set the intonation. I don't have any tools to setup the guitar...

EDIT: Also, do you know how to remove the volume and tone knobs on the guitar?

• Members

I'm sorry, can you show me an example of that tube socket, maybe a link in the internet. And btw, do you know the size of the the two allen set screws facing the tail end of the guitar (mine is a hard tail) so I can set the intonation. I don't have any tools to setup the guitar...

EDIT: Also, do you know how to remove the volume and tone knobs on the guitar?

Usually that refers to thing walled things like this. i can't verify the size, or whether or not these will fit in you truss route though.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Wrenches,_hex_keys/Pocket_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html

• Members

So I think it's this one, 9/32 inches are 7 milimeters right?

not really. 7mm is smaller than 9/32. Might not fit. It's best to use the proper size of the correct standard.

Don't just go up the next available metric size either, it must be a tight fit, Any slop and you could end up rounding over the nut over time. Truss nuts are usually made of very soft metal, usually brass, so it doesn't take much to damage them.

• Members

Just go to a hardware store and buy an SAE and metric hex wrench set. It will cost you less than $10 and you'll have it for future use.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_26377-56766-26377_0__?productId=1208195&Ntt=hex+wrench&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dhex%2Bwrench

Wrong kind of tool. PRS uses a gibson style nut. You need a thin walled socket type wrench to adjust it, not an allen key.

truss2.jpg

Truss%20Rod%20Wrench.jpg

• Members

I don't want to be rude...but do some reading before you start tweaking your truss rod and such. Could be you're an expert on set-ups, and if so I apologize; but truss rods can be easily damaged and can DO damage if used incorrectly, so do a bit of reading and research before you start in.

It's not actually very tricky, you just want to know what you're about before you get at it.

• Members

Wrong kind of tool. PRS uses a gibson style nut. You need a thin walled socket type wrench to adjust it, not an allen key.

I think he was refering to the allen key to adjust the screws at the stoptail to adjust the intonation. I already found one that fits those screws laying around here.

I emailed PRS and they said the truss rod wrench is 7mm. And (9/32) inches = 7.14375 millimeters. I don't know if I should purchase this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-TRUSS-ROD-WRENCH-7mm-FOR-GIBSON-ETC-LUTHIER-TOOL_W0QQitemZ150494321984QQcategoryZ42455QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7599263244079686186

I don't want to be rude...but do some reading before you start tweaking your truss rod and such. Could be you're an expert on set-ups, and if so I apologize; but truss rods can be easily damaged and can DO damage if used incorrectly, so do a bit of reading and research before you start in.

It's not actually very tricky, you just want to know what you're about before you get at it.

I'm by no means an expert, I can barely play a guitar. I'm following Learn and Master Guitar setup to see if I can fix the axe by myself, and am now colecting the tools needed. If I can't fix it then I'll seek a music store and pay them to do the setup for me, but I would prefer to learn and do the thing by myself.

And about the knobs, how do I pop them out? Just pull? the things seem like they are glued there...

Archived