Anybody Have A Swart?

Elias Graves

• Members

swart.jpg

I first learned of these when I saw Buddy Miller playing Robert Plant. He uses two 20 watt versions, I believe, and I've never heard a better sound at a live show before.

It's like $850 for their entry level model shown above. 5 watts, 6L6 poer, tube rectified.

Anybody here have one of these?

EG

• Members

They were the flavor of the month over at the TGP for quite a while.

The cabinets are all Valco-influenced, but I think the circuits are more Fender Tweed derivative. Haven't had a chance to look at one myself yet.

• Members

According to the web site, they are a mix of a tweed and a Princeton circuit with some other mods.

The cabs do look cool with the lacquered tweed and all.

It's a lot of money for an amp, but I'm really tired of cheap small amps. I want a good small amp.

EG

• Members

I've never played one and they are a little out of my comfort zone for how much amp you are objectively getting, but I'd love to check one out. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what their vibe is... I mean, how much they differ from, say, a 5E3. Added trem and reverb and the power tubes driven a bit harder?

On paper, they look like it would be almost ideal for me, but again... too much $$$.

• Members

According to the web site, they are a mix of a tweed and a Princeton circuit with some other mods.

The cabs do look cool with the lacquered tweed and all.

It's a lot of money for an amp, but I'm really tired of cheap small amps. I want a good small amp.

EG

i'm not loving it with my les paul... unless it's cranked a bit... but i've hardly used the lp since i've had the amp...i need to spend a bit more time with them together.... .it's great with single coils

i love it.... but i wouldn't want it as my only amp.... i need an el84 amp too.... i returned my 65 amps lil elvis and got the swart... still not sure if i did the right thing... once i get something else from 65 amps i'll be sorted though

luckily a shop near me has a bunch of great amps... i took in one of my guitars and played through quite a few

i didn't play through the smaller swarts... although i've heard they're great

• Members

How would you compare the AST to a Tweed Deluxe or a Blackface Princeton? I mean, how it reacts... does it stay fairly clean up to like 8/10 or does it stop being clean around 5/10 and just get more compressed sounding? I know a lot of it would depend on the speaker and your playing style...

• Members

i'm not loving it with my les paul... unless it's cranked a bit... but i've hardly used the lp since i've had the amp...i need to spend a bit more time with them together.... .it's great with single coils

i love it.... but i wouldn't want it as my only amp.... i need an el84 amp too.... i returned my 65 amps lil elvis and got the swart... still not sure if i did the right thing... once i get something else from 65 amps i'll be sorted though

luckily a shop near me has a bunch of great amps... i took in one of my guitars and played through quite a few

i didn't play through the smaller swarts... although i've heard they're great

I've read that an LP will push them pretty hard.

Sigh. Maybe I just need to find a Princeton.

EG

• Members

just spent a bit of time with it and my lp

it sounds fine .. just different... very lush... kinda bb king ... peter green... which isn't always the kind of tones i'm after with a les paul... i love them through el 84 amps

the amp definitely breaks up before 8... as nice as the amp is clean, it's when it's pushed into overdrive that it really shines imo... kinda like a tweed

• Members

Hmm. I could deal with some BB King tones.

My playing isn't dependent on a variety of sounds. I just need one good one.

My music is all about timing and phrasing, so simple is good. I like the "just on the edge" of overdrive sounds the best.

I hear you about the EL84, though. My HB guitars sound good through my son's Blues Jr but it's not quite the same as a 6L6 Fender.

EG

• Members

I first learned of these when I saw Buddy Miller playing Robert Plant.
He uses two 20 watt versions, I believe, and I've never heard a better sound at a live show before.

It's like $850 for their entry level model shown above. 5 watts, 6L6 poer, tube rectified.

Anybody here have one of these?

EG

Amazing! I did not know you could play Robert Plant! How do you tune him? :D

Archived