Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making the right decision

so if you have a lot of money and buy guitars all the time; this thread is not for you. if you plan a guitar purchase months in advance and devour all the research, reviews and go out and play hundreds of different guitars before making your purchase this thread is for you.

i wanna hear how you guys finally make the final decision to pull the trigger on a guitar when there are SO many choices out there. it seems like i narrow my list, do research and play them all and then when i am just about to pull the trigger 10-15 other "must have guitars" come to mind. i know most people would say wait until you dont have any second thoughts, and that you will know when you find the right one but if i waited for that feeling i would never buy anything. then the second i actually buy something i think i made a mistake and would enjoy something else more. wtf is wrong with me??

i mean its easy to say; well if you dont like it you can sell it and get something else but in this market used gear just isnt selling so unless you are ok with taking a huge loss you better make the right decision the first time.

am i just nuts or is anyone else in the same boat??

Bill
    strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

I have no changce to try everyong . and When I was seraching this so called "right one" , I have confused by everyone . many thing came in my mind , sush as fender , gibson , prs , jackson , ESP , Schecter ,dean .

and someone will give you a sugguestion ,that's all the same .it will be "what kind of music do you like " I counted them one by one ,sush as : hard rock ,metal ,bules ,pure giutar play .

and then it meas : you have to buy a fender for blues,pop . a gibson for classic rock n' roll ,hard rock . a jackson or Esp for metal .and sometimes when you want play steven vai , you need got a ibanaze .

you got money , you got a decision

Comment

For me, when I play it and it feels right, I'll go for it.
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

I'm a hopeless overanalyzer. My "collection" stays small, so for a guitar to make it home, it has to earn its keep.
        This time out, I was looking for something that I didn't have to modify and had decent enough quality that I wouldn't have to worry about it.
        It was really just a matter of trying everything I could get my hands on until I started narrowing things down. It took two tries...the first one I liked, but it didn't "wow" me after a week like I thought it did. When I learned I could get a Gibson LP for $600 new with warranty, I tried it out. That's about all it took on that one.
        But, really, trying guitars is what worked for me. I can start to rule things out pretty quickly. Like this, not that, etc. Keep trying til the process of elimination takes care of it.

EG
        We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Well about six months ago I got the urge to get an electric again. I read and researched everything I could, but in the end I went to every shop I could find and played every guitar that looked interesting, and I ended up finding my guitar. I originally wanted an SG, then a Tele, then a Strat, then back to a Tele, but I found this Ibanez LP knockoff that was as light as a Strat, had the sustain and playability of a Paul, and the tone of an SG. Bought it the next day.
          Guitar Rig: Musicman Silhouette -> Cool Cat Transparent OD -> Fender Mustang I (Twin model)
          Drum Rig: Mapex Pro M's, Saluda Mists, Evans heads

Comment

Here's something you may find very helpful, or hurtful depending on your perspective. There is no right decision. You are severely over complicating the choice by including too many variables. The addage of being an informed consumer is correct, but when you don't have an initially filtered set of data you will be doing nothing but wasting time (but having fun doing it). This has been proven in a bunch of recent studies. In fact, several studies have shown the more variables one takes into account the worse end decision one makes. For example, if I asked you to pick your favorite color but limited your choice to red or blue...pretty easy choice. If I gave you a pamphlet with 500 different color swatches...a little tougher and would take much longer. What about a1,000 page book of photographs and asked you what your favorite color was in the book. Your brain would be on overload as your trying to process multitudes of photographs of different objects and filter out color information. simply trying to narrow the choice down would be difficult. To add to the problem, if your the type of personality who has trouble making decisions (as you sound like you are, no offense) and/or often fears making the incorrect decision you'll drive your self crazy.

My advice is simple. write down all the strengths and weaknesses of your favorite guitar. Now, narrow that to the 3 worst weaknesses. Next set a price range. With those 2 filters, you should be able to narrow selection down significantly. And if not...get what looks coolest!
            Will Chen Trio | FrugalGuitarist.com | FG on Facebook | Forum

Comment

Here's good article on how too much information renders someone incapable of making a "good" decision...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-02-27/twitter-facebook-information-overload-makes-it-harder-to-make-decisions/

Comment

go out and play hundreds of different guitars before making your purchase this thread is for you.

Hundreds ? Really ? That seems excessive.

Comment

I try and make the decision as easy as possible. If you sweat every little detail about a guitar then it is going to make the decision really stressful when you should be excited you are getting a new guitar! I agree with Will's advice above when looking at guitars. Find a few guitars you are interested in and try them out. Pick the one you like the best and you wont have to worry about choosing the wrong guitar!
                  http://www.danacheron.com

Comment

If you change your mind after you find "the right one" you haven't found the right one, you've just found another guitar you would like to add to the collection. For me, when I've decided to get a new guitar, I do the research, play a few and if I'm still interested, I buy it. Worst case scenario is that I end up with a guitar that I don't play much now, but I know at some point I will or I'll trade/sell it off.
                    "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." – David St. Hubbins

Comment

Just go with the adkins
                      Support this, its worth it - http://www.rabbit.org/ Some bunny needs you, help the bunnies!

Good Deals with: 9-Pin-Phoenix, Moot, ashasha, BlackHatHunter

“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" -Victor Hugo

I play Fender Gibson and Gretsch into Mesa and Orange

Comment

yeah, this is kinda wierd. I woulda thought that with all the guitar manufacturers available, you would be able to find what you want stock on a guitar. But in my experience this is definately not the case. For some reason i cant find any stock guitars that tick ALL the boxes. So i agree with Will Chen, you have to kinda think, ok it doesnt have EVERYTHING i wanted but it's got most of it covered? Or maybe i got the wrong end of the stick will?

I wanted an offset semi-hollow Guitar with a maple fretboard. - Doesnt exist
                        I wanted the Deluxe power strat, BUT! I wanted it with a maple fretboard and 22 frets - Not available
                        I wanted a Jag style 25.5" guitar with a floyd and a maple fretboard - Doesnt exist, im currently building it.
                        I also want the new Squier Jazzmaster in sunburst, but i want it with a black pickguard, maple 22frets, and a strat trem - Nope
                        Squier Vintage Modified Thinline tele in a different finish from the one available just now - meh

Ok so some of these are easy fixes, but i thought it would be so much easier to find EVERYTHING you want in a guitar stock these days? Then i have to factor in what i can afford. So no. custom shop is not an option. Surely my tastes arent that wacky and off the wall are they? I mean you can even get a wangcaster!
                        Wanna See the Original 70s Fender Starcaster re-issued?
                        Sign the Petition!! link below (takes less than a minute, and its FREE! just skip the donation page) Do it!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fender70sstarcaster/

Thanks for all your support so far!
                        Signature count = 713!!! (26/Sept/2011)

Comment

thanks for all the replies, lots of good things to think about.

its very odd, bc i am not this way about anything else. i pretty quickly picked out the car i wanted to buy and after test driving 4 or 5 i found the best one and have been happy for 3+ years. i looked at 10-20 houses and picked out one in under 2 weeks and am still very happy with my choice 2 years later. so i dont do this with anything else and usually can make a decision and be happy with my choice - which is why this is puzzling me.

with guitars though i think part of me enjoys the searching and its really my only hobby that requires such gear choices besides camping and traveling so i tend to endulge a bit on the shopping part i guess. plus i can do it at work to kill time; which helps and hurts i guess. i dont care about clothes, tech gadgets, tv's, video games - i really only shop extensively for guitar gear.

so far just recently i have almost bought a JA 90 tele, then it was a hamer special, then a SG classic, then i woke up and remembered that i really want a hollowbody so i started looking at a gretsch 5120 or an ibanez artcore and now i am just totally lost. haha, life is good i guess if this is my biggest problem, i was just wondering if anyone else was the same way or if i am just a lunatic.
                          strat strat tele PRS agile gretsch martin

WINNER HCAF BEST RACK RIG 2012!!!!!!!

fender blues deluxe > whitebox 212

Good Transactions: Dehumanize, Jimosity, Panther King, Vangkm, Ejendres, Killindux, Colejustesen, SDMFVan, twisty571, dolf

Comment

yeah, this is kinda wierd. I woulda thought that with all the guitar manufacturers available, you would be able to find what you want stock on a guitar. But in my experience this is definately not the case. For some reason i cant find any stock guitars that tick ALL the boxes. So i agree with Will Chen, you have to kinda think, ok it doesnt have EVERYTHING i wanted but it's got most of it covered? Or maybe i got the wrong end of the stick will?

I wanted an offset semi-hollow Guitar with a maple fretboard. - Doesnt exist
                            I wanted the Deluxe power strat, BUT! I wanted it with a maple fretboard and 22 frets - Not available
                            I wanted a Jag style 25.5" guitar with a floyd and a maple fretboard - Doesnt exist, im currently building it.
                            I also want the new Squier Jazzmaster in sunburst, but i want it with a black pickguard, maple 22frets, and a strat trem - Nope
                            Squier Vintage Modified Thinline tele in a different finish from the one available just now - meh

Ok so some of these are easy fixes, but i thought it would be so much easier to find EVERYTHING you want in a guitar stock these days? Then i have to factor in what i can afford. So no. custom shop is not an option. Surely my tastes arent that wacky and off the wall are they? I mean you can even get a wangcaster!

No, you're actually doing it the right way. You've already made the decision. You know exactly what you want and are filtering out all the millions of additional options which would confuse your decision. If one of those products was readily/easily/affordably available you'd jump on it and be a happy clam. Yours is the classic supply/demand scenario. Your tastes (at the moment) aren't in line with what manufacturers see as the general demand for products. It appears that the OP is having trouble even figuring out what he wants...

Comment

thanks for all the replies, lots of good things to think about.

its very odd, bc i am not this way about anything else. i pretty quickly picked out the car i wanted to buy and after test driving 4 or 5 i found the best one and have been happy for 3+ years. i looked at 10-20 houses and picked out one in under 2 weeks and am still very happy with my choice 2 years later. so i dont do this with anything else and usually can make a decision and be happy with my choice - which is why this is puzzling me.

with guitars though i think part of me enjoys the searching and its really my only hobby that requires such gear choices besides camping and traveling so i tend to endulge a bit on the shopping part i guess. plus i can do it at work to kill time; which helps and hurts i guess. i dont care about clothes, tech gadgets, tv's, video games - i really only shop extensively for guitar gear.

so far just recently i have almost bought a JA 90 tele, then it was a hamer special, then a SG classic, then i woke up and remembered that i really want a hollowbody so i started looking at a gretsch 5120 or an ibanez artcore and now i am just totally lost. haha, life is good i guess if this is my biggest problem, i was just wondering if anyone else was the same way or if i am just a lunatic.

Ok then Sleewell22 try and answer these questions: That will narrow down your options considerably. (Just imagine you ca build your dream guitar and money is no object)

Body shape :
                              Solid/Hollow/Semi:
                              Scale length:
                              Pick up Config: SSS / HSS/ HH etc etc
                              Frets:
                              Radius:
                              Fretboard Material:
                              Tuners:
                              Bridge/Trem:
                              Nut:
                              PickGuard: Y/N
                              Finish:
                              Input:
                              Controls/pots:
                              Selector switch:
                              Gadgets/Gizmos:
                              Weight:

Ok. so there is a lot of factors to consider, some of them wont need answered because either its not 'deal breaker' important/you dont care/ are open to suggestion. See how you get on.
                              Once you can answer a few of these, im sure some the forumites here can suggest some great options for you.

I would suggest a 72RI Fender thinline tele for ya, sounds like you want some hollow features in there, 2 humbuckers ala SG, and they are kick ass. Its hard to get everything you want in one guitar, and unless your totally minted..........
                              Wanna See the Original 70s Fender Starcaster re-issued?
                              Sign the Petition!! link below (takes less than a minute, and its FREE! just skip the donation page) Do it!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fender70sstarcaster/

Thanks for all your support so far!
                              Signature count = 713!!! (26/Sept/2011)

Comment

Working...
                              X