Ideas for modifying Jaguar HH. What do you think?

coolcat2

• Members

I have one of the black Fender Jaguar HH Special guitars that MF was selling for $299 last year and I want to do some mods to it. Here are some of my ideas:

1. I want to change pups to Gretsch Filtertrons. I have been reading online how to fit these pups into humbucker guitars and I think it can be done. Not sure about all the crazy wiring though.

2. Considering adding a bigsby. Will the vibramate work with this guitar?

3. Pickguard change. Any places online that sell pickguards that will fit this guitar and what color to go with black.

4. Change volume/tone knobs.

5. Improve the shielding. This thing feedbacks very easily and is noisy. Any suggestions.

So what do you guys think. Any other ideas or has anybody messed around with this guitar that would have some helpful advice. Thanks for helping.

• Members

There is a ebay vendor called 'dazbootman' or something. sells a good selection of pickguards. That's where I bought a B/W/B guard for my white classic player.

I relocated the input jack to use a recessed tele side input, reduced the volume controls to one volume, changed out the tuners for locking ones.

I still have the stock pickups in it. I don't really desire to change them.

jaguar-HH-classicplayer.jpg

• Members

I have one of the black Fender Jaguar HH Special guitars that MF was selling for $299 last year and I want to do some mods to it. Here are some of my ideas:

1. I want to change pups to Gretsch Filtertrons. I have been reading online how to fit these pups into humbucker guitars and I think it can be done. Not sure about all the crazy wiring though.

3. Pickguard change. Any places online that sell pickguards that will fit this guitar and what color to go with black.

5. Improve the shielding. This thing feedbacks very easily and is noisy. Any suggestions.

So what do you guys think. Any other ideas or has anybody messed around with this guitar that would have some helpful advice. Thanks for helping.

1. I would grab a set of GFS Surf 90's that would drop in vs filtertrons.

2. If the current set up is a stop tail/tunematic, then a vibramate/bigsby will work. Get a roller bridge from this guy:

http://www.azguitarparts.com

any pics of your guitar?

• Members

Found a guy on ebay who sells pickguards for this guitar but they are $50. http://stores.ebay.com/Jeannie-Pickguards-and-Guitar-Parts/_i.html?_nkw=jaguar&_sid=100802589 Leaning towards a brown tort if I go with him. Also found that Warmoth makes pickguards for Jaguar bodies http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/JaguarPickguard.aspx, but it says that it will only fit their body and not Fender's. These are cheaper than the guy on ebay so wondering if anybody has experience with Warmoth pickguards fitting their guitar. Leaning towards the mint pickguard if I try Warmoth.

• Members

The Vibramate does work. I had a Bigsby B5 with one on my Jag, although I took it off later.

Apartment_setup.jpg

I got a white pickguard from Jeannie Pickguards. And put in plain old Strat knobs, I found I really missed having numbers on my knobs.

Fender_Jaguar_Special.jpg

• Members

So I'm waffling worse than Brett Favre on what pickups to use in this guitar. Now I'm leaning towards doing standard Jaguar single coils. I'm leaning towards a tort guard, definitely going to do the Bigsby and witch hat knobs. The jaguar single coils I cam across are:

1)Fender AVRI Jaguar pups

2)Seymour duncan SJAG-1, SJAG-2, SJAG-3 and Antiquity

3)Novak

4)Vintage Vibe p90 type Jaguar pups

Any others I'm not thinking of. Any experience with these. I'm leaning towards the Fender AVRI pups due to cost plus they come with covers and the claw. I play mostly blues and rock. I also like the tone of John Frusciante from RHCP and I think he sometimes plays a Jag.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hey, whatever happened to this awesome project? I'm thinking about a build or a buy-and-mod with a Jag/Jazz body, Filtertron pickups and a Bigsby. I'm having a hard time finding that particular concentration anywhere...

Archived