Tremolo, Tremsetter, Les Paul Agile 3100?

Chumer

• Members

Views on the Agile AL-3100 SE CSBF P90 Wilk guitar? It seems at least in part to be inspired by Neil Young's "Old Black" as the pickup configuration has similarities as of course does the Les Paul shape and trem.

How would you expect it to compare to the Agile AL-3100 Black Floyd in terms of the tremolo system?

Agile AL-3100 SE CSBF P90 Wilk

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100wilkcsb.html

Agile AL-3100 Black Floyd

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100bkfloyd.html

For example which tremolo system is easier to use when finger-bending as one of the reasons I am not a great fan of most trems is that when you finger-bend the trem pulls forward making it harder to bring the bent string to pitch, plus lowering the pitch of all the remaining strings thus making double and triple stop steel guitar type bends more difficult.

I know little about the "Floating 2 Point Wilkenson Tremolo" and it's been years since I played a guitar with a "Licensed Floyd Rose".

I suppose at least with the Floyd Rose I could install a Hipshot Tremsetter or could I just as easily install the Tremsetter with a Wilkenson? I installed one years ago in a Strat and if I recall correctly it worked well but took quite some time to set up properly.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

I have a PRS Santana SE and I would assume it a has a trem most like a Wilkinson? My PRS Santana SE has a very smooth trem action but it suffers three fates I do not like much:

1) When finger-bending the trem pulls forward making it harder to bring the bent string to pitch, plus lowering the pitch of all the remaining strings and thus making double and triple stop steel guitar type bends more difficult.

2) When aggressively working the strings the trem will flutter causing the pitch to warble.

3) Aggressive palm muting can alter the guitar's pitch.

Much thanks all!

• Members

Hey Chumer,

Right off the bat there are two big differences you can see in the two Agile guitars. First, the FR model has a locking nut. As you probably know, this really helps with keeping it in tune. So if you plan on using the trem a lot, and you like to really crank on the whammy, this will be important to you. The second is that the FR model has a cavity that the trem can lower into when you pull back on the bar, so it will have more pitch up range of motion than the Wilky. Again, not so much of an issue if you just want to add a little vibrato, but it would be if you wanted to really pull up. I don

• Members

Great post Sparks!

In some ways I'm feel the Agile Wilk is more interesting than the Agile Floyd because of its pickup configuration, however it seems the Agile Floyd is the more capable of the two trems.

I'll look into the Tremol-no...interesting!

• Members

Thanks D Carrol!

1) do you not feel the Floyd has better tuning stability under extreme use than the Wilk?

2) do you not feel the Floyd has a wider pitch range than the Wilk?

3) What do you think of the Agile Wilk's pickup configuration?

Archived