Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "relicing" a poly finish

Maybe a few of u fellas would be able to tell us the easiest way to take finish off of a poly guitar to make it look used and abused....we all know sandpaper steel wool, yada yada....any tricks guys?
    tele with kinman pups, jaguar with sd bridge fender neck, rickenbacker, peavy classic 50 head running through homebuilt cab with a gb and v30 and peavy ultra 4-10, pedals are constantly changing, a but my star pedAls that are used alot are- e-ball vol, modded true bypass origional crybaby, swolepickle fuzz, dls clone, super overdrive modded,ehx small stone,still have my dano tremolo.....dont knock it, it has taken its fair shRe of abuse and sounds just fine tyvm.. delays, delays,

Micro Mesh works well for me. And a flat head screwdriver...
    ...when I'm 64...

Comment

Make your dings, dents and wear wherever you like, then follow it up with an SOS pad, rubbing compound and polishing compound to put a satin sheen on the finish. Sandpaper should never be your final step if you want a convincing relic.
      I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

Paint stripper then refin with nitro, then relic.

Comment

Won't a heat gun lift polyurethane finish, or is that a polyester finish? Which "poly" are we talking about?

Comment

Paint stripper then refin with nitro, then relic.

Agree, most modern urethane finishes just laugh at paint stripper though.
            Poly guitars don't look reliced, they just look damaged and beat.
            JMHO but artificial relicing is the dumbest thing ever.

Comment

But trying to blend in bigger nicks and chips of paint missing will make it look better. Idealy of course everyone would take good care of their gear so when poor boys like me buy it, it looks new....but that's not always the case. I would much rather look at a missing spot of finish that looks naturally worn and not dropped 10 ft and smashed across the drummers forehead. That's what I am doing. Or....attempting.
              tele with kinman pups, jaguar with sd bridge fender neck, rickenbacker, peavy classic 50 head running through homebuilt cab with a gb and v30 and peavy ultra 4-10, pedals are constantly changing, a but my star pedAls that are used alot are- e-ball vol, modded true bypass origional crybaby, swolepickle fuzz, dls clone, super overdrive modded,ehx small stone,still have my dano tremolo.....dont knock it, it has taken its fair shRe of abuse and sounds just fine tyvm.. delays, delays,

Comment

Won't a heat gun lift polyurethane finish, or is that a polyester finish? Which "poly" are we talking about?

Heat might work best.

Comment

And sorry, its a polyester not polyurathane. Sorry bout that. I know you can use a heat gun but from what I gathered, that is for if you plan on stripping the entire finish

Comment

And sorry, its a polyester not polyurathane. Sorry bout that. I know you can use a heat gun but from what I gathered, that is for if you plan on stripping the entire finish

poly just don't take to kindly to relicing. In most cases they end up looking like beat to crap poly guitars not aged guitars.

Comment

poly just don't take to kindly to relicing. In most cases they end up looking like beat to crap poly guitars not aged guitars.

+ 1.000.000
                      I tried to relic my poly finished Charvel strat years ago ( )- it did look like ****************. Poly doesn't relic in the same way as nitro, it's come off in flakes with sharply defined breaks for instance. It in no way looks like natural wear and tear.

in a word: DON'T!

Comment

Poly guitars don't look reliced, they just look damaged and beat.
                        This is totally correct. You cant do much with a poly finish to relic it, other than take off the gloss. If you try to remove the poly in spots to "relic" it, it just leaves ugly chunks missing.
                        Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

Comment

Why, why even relic a guitar? Seriously, it's like buying a new car then scraping your keys all around it. You may as well throw a couple of rocks at it while your at it.
                          One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

Hey, if the drummer needed hitting.....

Just sayin

EG
                            We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

The nicest thing I saw the on a poly guitar was a thread yesterday or the day before. Where a guy uses scotch brite pads to dull the finish on a gold top. It looked really good.
                              Guitars: 60th Anniversity Commemorative American Strat 2006, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe, Washburn D25S Acoustic 1988 (MIJ)Effects: 535Q->TS7->DS-1-> GE7 EQ->MXR Carbon Copy->Phase 90->CE-3 -> -> Tiny Terror -> Vox Night Train Cab 1x12 with Greenback Also: Guitar Port, DOD Supra Distortion, EH Muff Fuzz, Vox DA5Good Dealings with rrancani, dcindc, CraigOrn, 98 les paul, kjutrain

Comment

Working...
                              X