Squire CV 60's Strat vs. Xaviere XV-870

turnip

• Members

Quick question here; in your most astute opinion, does the CV Stratocaster offer significantly more guitar-for-the-buck than the Xaviere XV-870, or is the XV-870 a better deal?

The thing I'd be most interested in is a stable and usable trem; something I could use

I just got the pine bodied CV Tele and it's a great instrument...I bought it to practice on at home so I could leave my nicer instruments at work but the CV is so much fun to play and it's such a solid instrument that I've been taking it to work to teach on....it's not replacing my Suhrs anytime soon but the CV series gives you so much value for the money that I'd recommend it highly.

Pretty much anyone who has bought an instrument or parts from GFS over on my forum has gotten hosed the last few months. I don't think I'd take a chance on getting the cheaper instrument knowing that I had a high probability of it needing work or replacement right out of the box.

• Members

Duly noted!

I had heard that Xaviere guitars were
sleepers
; apparently they no longer warrant that...?

By he looks of the photos over at TDPRI and some of the latest posted here... I'd say they were in a coma.

I've tried four or five of their pickup models. I found the Mean 90 to be a great pup in semihollows and you could buy it for what was literally pocket change.. Beyond those, the rest have been pretty bad. In particular their mini humbuckers, were awful, really just garbage.

I've never tried one of their guitars, although I had been thinking of getting one of their semihollows with P90s for a full out mod project. After giving it more thought, I think I'll just save the cash. I understand these are very cheap guitars but it was said many times here that when GFS received the overseas containers, they would quality check them individually before shipping them to customers. The photographic evidence however, doesn't seem to support that. If these are the "good guitars", I can just imagine what the blems must be like. I wonder if these guitars are made at the same factories that make the Gibson fakes?

It used to be you couldn't say anything bad about GFS on these boards without the fan boys coming out of the woodwork to defend their holy grail but it seems most have now calmed down and GFS is finally being seen for what it truly is.

• Members

By he looks of the photos over at TDPRI and some of the latest posted here... I'd say they were in a
coma

I've tried four or five of their pickup models. I found the Mean 90 to be a
great
pup in semihollows and you could buy it for what was literally pocket change.. Beyond those, the rest have been pretty bad. In particular their mini humbuckers, were awful, really just garbage.

I've never tried one of their guitars, although I had been thinking of getting one of their semihollows with P90s for a full out mod project. After giving it more thought, I think I'll just save the cash. I understand these are very cheap guitars but it was said many times here that when GFS received the overseas containers, they would quality check them individually before shipping them to customers. The photographic evidence however, doesn't seem to support that. If these are the "good guitars", I can just imagine what the blems must be like. I wonder if these guitars are made at the same factories that make the Gibson fakes?

It used to be you couldn't say anything bad about GFS on these boards without the fan boys coming out of the woodwork to defend their holy grail but it seems most have now calmed down and GFS is finally being seen for what it truly is.

I've a Dream 180 in my Epi LP; it sounds great - huge improvement over the stock pup. Guess they just make a handful of gems and a boatload of gravel, eh?

• Members

Maybe so. It wouldn't be the only guitar company out there to have slipped in quality as the demand grew. They'll (being either the overseas factory(ies) or GFS either have to fix the problem at whatever level it's occurring, or their guitars and other products (Which already seemed too cheap to be true) will cease to sell. Bad press, whatever its form, tends to travel MUCH faster than good, so...

I was considering getting one of their 335 styles for a mod platform, but seeing the pics I've seen makes me wonder if they're currently stable enough for that kind of thing.

I'm hoping this is just a short-termed problem somewhere along the line.

• Members

I've a Dream 180 in my Epi LP; it sounds great - huge improvement over the stock pup. Guess they just make a handful of gems and a boatload of gravel, eh?

I own a Strat set (premium vintage set) and the Dream 90s. I like them. They're not amazing, but I'm happy with them. A bandmate has a couple models in different guitars - Dream 180s and a Little Puncher. Their pickups seem to be pretty good, especially considering price point. For the guitars, however, I've seen quite a few pics of shoddy stuff, and I think the link in this thread has convinced me not to try out one of their guitars.

• Members

I've been very happy with the pups I've gotten from GFS. I got two solid necks from them too. And a bunch of parts that were exactly as advertised.

I haven't bought a guitar from them yet, despite much temptation. In fact, right now I'm real close to pulling the trigger on an XV-870 for modding. I want a particular color (orange) that isn't an option for Squier CV etc, though; my other options are significantly more expensive.

If you're really looking at apples vs apples I'd sink in some more money and go with the CV, mainly because I've laid hands on a bunch and have been quite impressed by them. If you like the GFS features better I find it a hard call, because GFS has come through for me in the past. Yeah, some of the flame-outs have been bad, but remember too that they typically make things right without question or delay. And many on this forum have been super pleased with their GFS guitars (you don't have to look far for that). So to say that they're always crappy is a gross exaggeration.

Paint me a fanboy if you must, but I prefer to think of myself as fair and balanced. :D

Archived