Do I need a little spring in my strat trem hole?

bondini

• Members

The spring is not necessary - some people like to drop one in to stiffen up the arm - when you move it out of the way it will grip and stay there.

It might also make removing a broken trem arm slightly easier.

If you want a spring, take one out of a pen.

• Members

The spring is to keep tension on the trem bar so that it stays in the position is is set to.

I've never seen a Strat (unless brand new in a shop) that had it. Everyone loses them. Fender even recommends "putting a piece of tape over the hole" so it doesn't get lost.

If it was a truly critical part, you would think they'd have devised a better system. Wouldn't be that hard to swedge a 'captive spring' in there somewhere.

• Members

You can buy them at any Fender dealer.

Well, actually you can't. I went to a half dozen Fender dealers before I found a store that had them or even knew what they were. The kids (er, I mean sales associates) at GC will give you a blank look and try to give you one of the trem springs.

• Members

A quick wrap in tephlon tape on the threads does the job better than those little springs. A roll of it is like 96 cents at any hardware store and will last you forever. I keep one in the shop and one in the case.

teflon tape is a great thing to have for guitar stuff. I use it for sloppy trem arms, but I also use it on sloppy trem posts. Works great. :thu:

• Members

One way to keep that little spring in place is to put some synthetic grease in the hole where the arm goes with a toothpick or similar, then coat the spring liberally with the grease and put it in there.

Since synthetic grease is so temperature stable it will not thin out when heated and allow the spring to come out. Should be a permanent fix.

Cheers!

Archived