No announcement yet.

George Washburn EC-29

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Washburn EC-29

Does anyone know anything about these George Washburn EC-29's the 29-fret neck-throughs from the late 80's? I am having a hard time finding good reliable info about them, and there is one for sale locally for $900.

The 29-frets with the Stephens extended cutaway seems cool, so I was thinking about trying it. Unusual stuff like this is what's been catching my eye lately.

It's got active Washburn pickups bridge-H, neck-S and a Floyd licensed Washburn 600S tremolo. The guy says there is no sign of a serial number, but I saw some of these that had been stamped white on the back of the headstock but wore down, so maybe it just wore away. It's wierd not to see a serial number, unless it's a prototype of some kind, but he says he bought it in a store back in the 80s (original owner).

Some pics:

It's weird and not totally encouraging not to see a serial number, but I don't know what it means.

Anyhow, can anyone tell me if this is worth getting? Did they play well? Was the construction of them any good? How was the extended cutaway? I wouldn't mind trying an 80's Washburn shredder, if anyone has had a good experience of them. Thanks!
    GREAT deals with: emmerwood, poolshark, ten56gibby, billcheckrules, RG_76
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Gear for Sale or Trade: Gibson Midtown Standard; Gibson Les Paul Studio; Aria Pro II PE-R80KV; Charvel Model 5fx firecrackle; LTD MH-301; | EHX Deluxe Memory Man (AC); Damage Control Liquid Blues

I've always lusted over these, love the 'crackle' finish. I suspect, based upon my experience, that the washburn pickups will be poo.
    Regardless, it has 29 frets, go for it!

Comment

Love my EC-36. Great guitars, comparable to the best of the Japanese stuff from that era. The only caveat would be that you should check to ensure that the trem & locking nut are functional as parts might be difficult to come by. The only S/N on mine is hand-written in the trem cavity in black marker. I don't think that price is out of line for a nice example, might be a tad high right now but not way off base. Someone on another forum used to tell me that he could buy EC-29s & EC-36s all day long for ~$400, I offered a significant premium above that price for everyone he could deliver but never received any.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to check it out in the morning and see how it looks. It's a bit of a drive, so I hope I like it!

I'll check that trem cavity for the serial number and see what I can find. In any event, though, a good guitar is a good guitar, and it's not like I trip over 29-fret axes every day.

Plus, I have a Charvel Model 5fx, in firecrackle, from the same period. Maybe I'll get a whole crackly-shred thing goin'!
        Gear for Sale or Trade: Gibson Midtown Standard; Gibson Les Paul Studio; Aria Pro II PE-R80KV; Charvel Model 5fx firecrackle; LTD MH-301; | EHX Deluxe Memory Man (AC); Damage Control Liquid Blues

Comment

I've owned a few of the Charvel Model series from back in the day and, despite the fact that I'm a big C/J fan, find the ECs to be superior. Had a really nice Model 6, 5A & 7 for years but I like my EC-36 quite a bit more than any of them.

Comment

Wow, AzCat, that's pretty high praise, 'cause I love the Charvel Models. That makes the whole thing a little more attractive. I can't wait to see it. Thanks again!

Comment

Tons of info about them available here:
              http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electrics/ECelectric.html

Here are a couple pics of my EC29 along with two other guitars featuring the Stephen's Extended Cutaway:

The EC29 plays like a dream! At first glance people think these things are fret-laden gimmick machines, but the truth is that they're beautifully constructed instruments!

Comment

Thanks, pork_hock, for the help. That link was really useful. Cool guitars you have there. I had no idea there was an acoustic with that kind of design! Cool. And that Stephens must be sweet!

Comment

Working...
                X