Post pics of your Matsumoku Built Guitars

2M4 Dale

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by link wray

they are Japanese guitar factories that produced guitars for different brand names, but not under their own name.

Hoshino is also one.

Actually Hoshino doesn't make guitars. They design guitars and sell them under the name Ibanez.

The guitars they design are made by Fuji-Gen Gakki in Japan and Kor-Tek in Korea.

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

well, i just sold my matsuymoku strat, aria. BEAUTIFUL neck, pup were ok, but as great as my tokai.

are any of these matsumoku. i think theyre all fuji gen

Hey, does your Burny have a serial number engraving in the back?.

• Members

Originally posted by 2M4 Dale

I was wondering about the when and why of the demise of Matsumoku ..... that's interesting !!! So did Singer build guitars before the fire ???

I believe that the Matsumoku guitar works grew out of a local furniture co-operative. Not sure where Singer fitted in.

I own a Westone Rainbow (335 style) from 78 and it is a beauty. The bookmatching is absolutely symetrically perfect - you would swear it was the cross section off some huge tree. I will try to get some pictures up.

I an deeply envious of the $20 SG.

• Members

Originally posted by JuanPabloJr.

So are all Aria's Matsumoko's and sound/play great?

I would say that they still have their dogs but generally the built quality of them are quite good. My Vantage is as pretty much as good as any late 70's/early 80's Les Paul that I have tried especially with a pup change from the MMKs which are good but can be improved upon.

You really need to familiarize yourself with the different Uncle Matt Brands so you will know them when you see them.

• Members

Most early Matsumoku Arias had bolt on necks and the neck plate will say "Made in Japan" .... I think some even said Matsumoku on 'em. And .. someone correct me if I'm wrong .... but I do believe that Matsumoku built guitars for Aria through the early 80's ... like maybe as far as 1985 or so.

And man .... there are 2 Matsumoku Aria SG's on ebay RIGHT NOW !!! do a search for Aria SG .... and both of 'em will pop up ! One is natural finish wood with a tremelo .... the other is a 1932 model, in oxblood, that has been modded a bit .... both look like they should go pretty cheap !!! I'm out of guitar money so ther's nothing I can do about 'em 'cept watch and see what they go for :(

And ... while the new Aria's are not Uncle Mats .... some of them are still quite nice .... I really like the set neck PE models ! And the strat copies are just as good as any other strat copy in that price range. ........ I've never tried one of Aria's semi-hollows (old or new) but I would like too !!!

Archived