Xaviere XV-900 - Is it any good?

ledvedder

• Members

I have an XV 835 and a XV 500 and they are two of the best guitars I've ever played... and I live directly behind a local guitar shop! ;) I've been eyeballing one of the 900s for quite some time. I'd love to get my hands on one to see how it plays and sounds.

If you pick one up, please, post a clip or some feedback and I may have one shipping behind it. In fact.. I may just order one anyway.

• Members

Like you, I wanted a cheap alternative to a Gibson 335. I bought an XV900. You'll have to immediately apply lemon oil to the scratchy neck and replace the worst strings I've ever encountered. After replacing the bridge to a Tone Pros, replacing the pickups with WCR Moore/Greens I luckily scored on ebay and finally after a $170 fret job the guitar is pretty cool. The WCRs in particular, really opened the guitar's sound up. Only time will tell how the wood will fare but I paid around $360 for it (with a decent case), with upgrades it now totals in the $700 range. Still a lot cheaper than a Gibson. If you don't mind modding it a bit, you'll end up with a damn fine 335 clone, just be prepared to spend more money. It'll never be a Gibson but it's close enough. I don't gig but it records wonderfully.

• Members

I LOVE mine. It's such a beast of a guitar for 350 (with hard case). It's my only stock guitar. Well, I did sand the back of the neck a little, but I do that to most everything. It plays wonderfully. Great weight, hangs well. It's so fat sounding, but with lots of character. Distorts beautifully. Overdrives even better. Cleans are just fantabulous. The absolute ONLY bad thing about it is the Chinese electronics. My switch went out (although it was being gigged and practiced with CONSTANTLY by our rhythm guitarist as he doesn't have a suitable guitar, he loves it too, he's also not that delicate with guitars, or controls :idk:). Other than that, which is a relatively easy fix, it's great. He gigs now, but before I got my Gibson LP, I gigged it as my #1.

Here's a silly video with some decent shots of me with it just for proofsies. (forgive our other guitarist who dressed like a cowboy for fun that night):

[video=youtube;e_kKcCmxzlM]

Now, here's some pics of it, since the vid I removed the pickguard and put black knobs:

EDIT: Photobucket seems to be down... I'll post em as soon as I figure it out! :wave:

Archived