Suggestion on a one- pickup, single cutaway, thin-line hollow-body electric.

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

Vastly prefer a Venetian (rounded) cutaway.

Prefer a set-neck but would consider a bolt-necked one.

Can be fully hollow or semi-hollow.

Presumably a trapeze tail-piece.

No preference as to original p/u, as I'll probably be changing it.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. :idea:

• Members

How about an Epiphone Emperor Regent?

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Semi-Hollow-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitars/Emperor-Regent-Electric-Guitar-Natural.site1sku518545000010000.sku

Considered one of those, as well...probably a lot closer to my planned budget, too.

However, the thing is that, in both cases, these are too nice for my planned usage...I'm wanting to severely modify whatever I get, and I should've specified that in my initial posting: I want to end up with a thin-line hollow-bodied electric that will have only a master volume and master tone control (ala Telecaster), but two p/us (probably PAF-type 'buckers, although a P-90 or P-100 in the fingerboard position is kinda tempting, as well), a 3-way p/u selector, and a Bigsby B-3, but everything I've looked at so far has a volume and tone for each p/u, like this one, which I recently sold:

6e47bfc2-1989-4f27-b0d0-01d7c2bc5b05

Originally, I thought I'd just look for something along the lines of a Harmony Rocket I (H53)...

-20682706184756020.jpg

until I saw what they're going for these days ($900 and up!), and considering that I'd have to sink possibly as much as $500+ into it (upgrade the tuners, add the p/us and wiring, etc., add the Bigsby, add a Tunematic bridge), I'm wondering what else might be out there for my needs...

Used to be, a H53 could be gotten pretty cheaply, and many years ago I happily played a 3-p/u Rocket,

H59_Rocket_23.jpg

that I'd added a Bigsby and chrome Grovers to...other than a {censored}load of knobs and that weird p/u selector, I liked it a lot. :)

Anyway, apologies for not being more specific in my initial post...my bad.

• Members

Many of these are getting away from thinline country.

There is a reissue Rocket. The Kingpin is there as well.

What about an old ES125T?

EG

Close, but I really prefer a Venetian cutaway...although I might get used to a Florentine, if all else is right.

Gibson-ES-125-TC-2841.JPG

I'm guessing that these are pretty pricy to be mutilated, though.

Now, this Godin might work:

lg_godin5thavecognacpucw.jpg

Just add a Bigsby and a Tunematic...ever play one of these?

• Members

Sounds like my Gretsch Clipper. Sorry, no longer in production, but you can find them used. I got a great deal on one for $400.

Cool...I'll look for one of those to try, as well...always have liked Gretschs! Strange that I might be able to buy one for less than a Harmony Rocket, though (I've looked at several over the last couple of months, and the least expensive one that didn't involve repairs was $875)!

I ike Harmony/Kays, but some of the prices they go for is nuts! :eek:

• Members

I prefer the master volume/tone as well. I was looking for a thin bodied semi with F holes back in the 90s and came across the Gibby Blueshawk. I now have 2, one is close to stock and other I gutted and wired straight tele style with a set of Lollars. Elective surgery can be a very good thing.

• Members

I prefer the master volume/tone as well. I was looking for a thin bodied semi with F holes back in the 90s and came across the Gibby Blueshawk. I now have 2, one is close to stock and other I gutted and wired straight tele style with a set of Lollars. Elective surgery can be a very good thing.

OK, will check these out, too...thanks, dudes! :thu:

• Members

Liked the overall feel of that white electric in #6, but hated the seperate tone and volume knobs...such an arrangement robs the sound somewhat, and, from having played a Tele since '67, I'm just used to master volume/master tone circuitry.

You might also check out the Michael Kelly vibe. They are not longer in production, but they are available either used or new old stock. They have great sustain and tone and were designed for country and rockabilly. Two p/u's, bigsby, and thinline. The neck is a little chunky and it has a hump where the set neck attaches to the body. It makes upper fret access tough. Like I said it was designed for country and rockabilly. Neither call for too much upper fret access. I have had one for years and love the guitar. They were $469 new. They have independent tone and vols except when both pickups are engaged. Then a master volume and tone are used.

Archived