Jimi Hendrix Vrs. Eddie Van Halen. No rules. Who wins?

DaveAronow

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
In a head-cutting contest, Ed would get a knockdown in the first round, and Jimi would get an eight count. But Jimi would get back up, shake it off, and Ed wouldn't have much left for a long fight. Jimi wins by unanimous decision.

This. Ed can do FUN stuff. Jimi could jam or hours and show just about any emotion a person could feel.

• Members

Hendrix.

As others have mentioned, EVH is a monster player who wrote some awesome music in his day, but Jimi was the total package- songwriter, player, singer, frontman. He was one of the best ever at all of it, too. Eddie is one in a billion, Jimi was one of a kind.

• Members

Jimi's music has stood the test of time. Nowadays I dig his cleanish chordal 'Curtis Mayfield from Mars' stuff the most. Songs like Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand, Think We better Wait til Tomorrow, All Along the Watchtower etc. My favorite Jimi track is '1983 A Merman I shall Be..', Jimi's Sci-Fi masterpiece from Electric Ladyland. Electric Ladyland is also my favorite Jimi album, so much depth. Eddie's style seems real gimmicky to my ears nowadays. Definitely the Godfather of Shred. I NEVER listen to him. Back in the day though, he turned everything around and had a million impersonators, myself included. You couldn't work if you couldn't cop some of Ed's tricks.. EVH's songs don't have a lot of depth, albeit they're fun, party tunes. I always felt he and the band peaked after the first two albums. The licks and songs started to sound familiar after those first two, although they had their moments on every album. I can see a big generation split over these two.

• Members

Jimi Hendrix would light his ass on fire and then smash him to pieces.

I don't like Van Halen at all. I respect what he did though, and if others like him, I can understand why.

Eddie's definitely not my cup of tea, while Jimi's my tea, coffee, and everything in between.

• Members

Hendrix.

As others have mentioned, EVH is a monster player who wrote some awesome music in his day, but Jimi was the total package- songwriter, player, singer, frontman. He was one of the best ever at all of it, too. Eddie is one in a billion, Jimi was one of a kind.

+1... of a kind

• Members

Im not into this comparison thing but there were some great points made in this thread.

This one's my favorite:

Eddie is one in a billion, Jimi was one of a kind.

The only player that I am aware of who really took the strat to beyond what Hendirx did with it is Jeff Beck

• Members

The only player that I am aware of who really took the strat to beyond what Hendirx did with it is Jeff Beck

I agree with this so then I guess the question becomes if Jimi was one of a kind, what does that make Jeff? A singularity?? :confused: idk??

• Members

This. Ed can do FUN stuff. Jimi could jam or hours and show just about any emotion a person could feel.

This. I think EVH works well within the specific framework of a Van Halen song. Outside that I don't know how he'd do. I think Jimi could hold his own in most situations, though.

• Members

against just about every single other rock guitar player, I'd vote EVH...but Hendrix is so iconic, you cant' really put any other rock guitarist above him

otoh, if yer asking our personal winner, EVH...I don't think any other player launched a 'copycat' syndrome like EVH did...not even Hendrix maybe....even studio cats were starting to play those flamboyent over the top solos after EVH broke big...you started hearing it ALL over pop/rock radio..

• Members

I don't think you'd have EVH without Hendrix. To my ears, Jimi pioneered the 'controlled slop' ethic (along with that other Jimmy), which is a pretty big deal. That said, EVH pushed it to another level - somehow just as loose and sloppy, but more intense, deliberate and dangerous. If I had to pick one to emulate - not that I think they're really that far apart - I'd say EVH with a hair less gain.

• Members

I don't think you'd have EVH without Hendrix. To my ears, Jimi pioneered the 'controlled slop' ethic (along with that other Jimmy), which is a pretty big deal. That said, EVH pushed it to another level - somehow just as loose and sloppy, but more intense, deliberate and dangerous. If I had to pick one to emulate - not that I think they're really that far apart - I'd say EVH with a hair less gain.

i remember a quote where Steve Stevens scoffed at EVH saying his main influence/idol was Clapton...Stevens said Eddie took a hell of a lot more from Hendrix...

Archived