Betcha Can't Play This, Betcha i don't wanna either

w00dsy

• Members

i see these all the time on Guitar Worlds youtube channel. I'm yet to see one that's even remotely interesting. Not only can i not play it, i can barely even listen to it. Maybe it's an age thing, i dunno but none of these do anything for me. I even like some of the guys playing them, but just not what they play here. I know it's supposed to be something difficult, but surely someone could make them sound good too.

[video=youtube;B7C2UwtFSyk]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what disapoints me is that everyone's playing a different guitar, but their tone sounds the same! different guitars, different pickups, different scale necks, different body/neck woods, different amps, etc...

what happened to all that {censored} we believed?

• Members

what disapoints me is that everyone's playing a different guitar, but their tone sounds the same! different guitars, different pickups, different scale necks, different body/neck woods, different amps, etc...

i wonder if they chose all those qualities for their sustain.

• Members

Shhhhhhh.... don't rile up up he theorists, or we'll be assaulted with several pages of "scientific" explanations.

Is there a rule that you have to use ugly guitars for this speed crap?

• Members

The sad thing is that I'm a metalhead, but all those guys are playing the same wankerish bull{censored} in those videos.

Here's one that I wish I COULD play.

[video=youtube;lkOuO7tJc34]

"It's costing too much! PULL THE PLUG!"

• Members

Some of those guys are really awesome players, Broderick in perticular is a monster player. However there is just a whole bunch that do recycled quick runs that most anyone who played metal at some point and got proficient at it could achieve. I wish they would do some more fusion, maybe a little more paisley country style stuff.

The real benefit to being able to play what they do isnt the fact that you can or even have to use those licks in your music, its that you now have built up the speed and dexterity to be able to play whatever you feel like.

• Members

Shhhhhhh.... don't rile up up he theorists, or we'll be assaulted with several pages of "scientific" explanations.

I'm truly sorry you have crippled hearing. I truly hope someday you can get over the resentment over that disability that causes you to reject mechanical and acoustic engineering principles out of hand.

• Members

Well, first of all, I can tell a difference in the tone between many of the guitars.

Second, I agree the tone is all very similar. However, there are many ways to achieve the same tone, just as there are many ways to combine tints to achieve similar colors. Consider a silver car from every manufacturer on the planet. How many will use the exact same formula?

Third, there is a certain tone sought by shredders. It allows clarity and relative evenness of volume, timbre, etc, across 6+ strings and across 6+ octaves at different tensions. Many different amps attempt to produce the same famous sounds, many different pickups attempt to reproduce the PAF, or a slightly hotter PAF, or a slightly warmer PAF. The point being, they are all going for pretty much the same target, and the method they use to get to that target does result in similarity despite different inputs. That's the whole point of amp modeling, isn't it? You shouldn't feel betrayed when all available technology is being deployed to erase the differences.

Fourth, sheesh: these guys are playing dozens of notes per second, so you get to hear almost nothing of any individual note's decay and overtone harmonics, and you think there is no difference in sound? If the guitars were played clean with chords and bends, with a chance to hear the guitar sustain for a few seconds, all on the same amp, you'd definitely hear a huge difference between almost all the guitars. If you go all around to every city in the world, but never leave the airport, yeah: you won't be able to notice much difference in culture, architecture, products, cuisine.

• Members

I liked the guy playing the SG at around the :50 mark, though maybe because that's the only thing on hear I think that I could play. I also thought the 8-handed tapping guy was good. But you're right, strung together like that, it's a hard, hard listen.

BTW, I think the fact that there's a band called 'Metalocalypse" is hilarious.

Archived