ok is the Variax the future of guitars?

samal50

• Members

It looks like a heavy piece of equipment. I was told it's a modeling guitar of sort. I'm not too familiar with it. What's its other company competition if any? Or is it one of a kind at the moment? Are their prices worth it? I was looking for a lightweight guitar (under 5 pounds if possible), but if the Variax is worth looking into then I'll re-consider.

• Members

it's ok. a jack of all trades, master of none. fender tried to compete with it with their "VG Strat" a few years back but that was relatively short lived. i'd definitely play one before buying. 12 string mode is kind of neat for what it's worth.

• Members

I got one a few years back, when they first came out. I don't know if they've improved them. It offers fair models, nothing spot-on. I use it now to record acoustic guitar on my home recordings. I wouldn't mind a Variax acoustic for recording if I could find one used, cheap.

• Members

No.

Variax has been around for years, and has its' fans, but a new, improved version will not set the world on fire.

Bottom line is (which has been proven time and time and time and time and...again) that guitar players want GUITARS that are simply GUITARS.

The future of the guitar IS the guitar.

• Members

It looks like a heavy piece of equipment. I was told it's a modeling guitar of sort. I'm not too familiar with it. What's its other company competition if any? Or is it one of a kind at the moment? Are their prices worth it? I was looking for a lightweight guitar (under 5 pounds if possible), but if the Variax is worth looking into then I'll re-consider.

I don't think so. I saw one only once with a band on a dvd. Never seen someone play one live.

• Members

No.

Variax has been around for years, and has its' fans, but a new, improved version will not set the world on fire.

Bottom line is (which has been proven time and time and time and time and...again) that guitar players want GUITARS that are simply GUITARS.

The future of the guitar IS the guitar.

You stop hitting those nails on the head right now, please. :mad:

Or we'll have nothing left to argue about....... :lol:

• Members

I Thought Gibson's firebird x was the revolution, that was gonna change the way we look at guitars forever?

Im not too keen on the variax, although i wouldn't mind one of the new tyler models, i probably woulda picked one up by now if they did one with a maple fretboard at a quarter of the price. They are waaaay overpriced imo

• Members

No, it's not the future of guitars. It's a useful tool for some people, just as modeling amps are a useful tool for some people. But guitar players are very conservative about adopting new technology.

• Members

Honestly, I think it is. It's definitely not there now, but in the future I see the guitar becoming more and more of an interface.

In the 80's when synthesizers came out, people talked about how it was the future of music and the guitar was going to be history. Guitars will be here for a long while. Just like amps and tubes.

• Members

I Thought Gibson's firebird x was the revolution, that was gonna change the way we look at guitars forever?

Im not too keen on the variax, although i wouldn't mind one of the new tyler models, i probably woulda picked one up by now if they did one with a maple fretboard at a quarter of the price. They are waaaay overpriced imo

I'm not really sure how they are way overpriced. For about the same price as a Fender American Deluxe you can get a JTV-69 which has the same basic functionality of a Strat (3 single coil pickups, 5 way switch, trem, etc..) iin a well made guitar that also gives you access to all the Variax models and alternate tunings. YOu seriously expect those to be on offer for $400-500? I don't see that happening.

• Members

I had one, and the limitation was definitely the construction. Felt like a cheap import. The new Tyler variax models offer more flexibility, given that you have both magnetic pickups and the variax system.

I have a warmoth build that has both variax and magnetic pickups, and it's great. With the Pod X3, I can run two patches simultaneously with either magentic pickups, variax or both. Most importantly, the guitar feels great. It's kind of heavy, but I mostly play in front of the computer or on the couch, so it doesn't bother me.

• Members

In the 80's when synthesizers came out, people talked about how it was the future of music and the guitar was going to be history. Guitars will be here for a long while. Just like amps and tubes.

Les Paul did an interview in Guitar Player magazine in the 80's where he said something like, "When you see a cowboy playing a synthesizer while riding his horse, then guitar players will have something to worry about."

• Members

Will never REPLACE anything but if the technology keeps improving, it might be something to reckon with in the future. Just think how the POD has come a long way since the POD 1.0. But nothing will ever top a very fine guitar that sounds on its own accord.

• Members

I'd argue that the synthesizer became the future of music, and that amps and especially tubes are going, going, gone.

Not saying that there won't still be guitars, or that people won't still play them. But they'll become increasingly marginalized. I can see a day when 'Stratocaster' is an effect, just like chorus or flanger.

Archived