So I tried to get my guitar back from a friend...

danswon

• Members

...and it turns out my Fender Duo-Sonic ended up in a motherf**king charity shop!!! I lent it years ago but that still doesn't excuse it. I don't see myself lending out anything dear to me any time soon. Anybody else had nightmares with leaving equipment in other peoples' care? :facepalm:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

...and it turns out my Fender Duo-Sonic ended up in a motherf**king charity shop!!! I lent it years ago but that still doesn't excuse it. I don't see myself lending out anything dear to me any time soon. Anybody else had nightmares with leaving equipment in other peoples' care?
:facepalm:

So you left it with someone for several years?? did you contact them about it during that time?

• Members

So you left it with someone for several years?? did you contact them about it during that time?

I actually did several times and they were really cagey about it every time. Now I know why. Even if it's been a few years, it's totally inexcusable IMO

• Members

damn thats a {censored}ing asshole....i would ask him for the cash they sell for on ebay. He made cash selling stuff YOU paid for thats what i would do. If he doesnt want to give you the cash back....sell one of his thing or smash his car :lol:

• Members

It is thanks to dumb asses like your friend that I have gotten some freaking amazing deals on guitars at thriftstores:thu:

My Dad frequently lends out very expensive gear ($5000 and up) to a variety of types of people: I only lend out cheap amps to relatives.

• Members

I quit lending equipment out 30+ years ago. If the people have money and you know thay could make good on any damage or loss and you trust them, then thats your own decision. I would make them sign for it though. Have it dated and signed. Nothing hurts having a receipt, it simply shows you are a professional looking out for his own welfare.

• Members

I pretty much only lend guitars to my parents. When I do I call every week to see how they like it. Usually they haven't even played it so I just take it back next time I'm in town. I'm starting to think they borrow them just so I'll call more :lol:

• Members

Whenever I loan anyone anything I do so with the firm belief that I'll never, ever see it again. That way even if they don't give it back I can still take pride in my charitable act and if they *do* give it back it's like "Ooh! An unexpected present!"

• Members

My buddy left me with a 1989 Ibanez 540 Radius in superb condition to setup for him about 6 years ago. He hated the guitar because he (foolishly) took it to a tech and said "set it up just like Stevie Ray's guitar!"

So, he got back a Ibanez with cables for strings and 1/2" action. LOL. Not a good setup unless you have strong hands and whatnot. So, then the guitar sat for years with all that tension on it.

Wasn't easy getting fretboard flat again. Took a lot of patience with my limited Floyd setup skilz. Guy moved across the world, but is now back and still doesn't seem to want it!

Anybody want to buy a clean Japanese 540? Just kidding. Haha! He's a cool dude so it isn't really a problem. But, I'd never think of selling it, and if I did it would be to get him something he would actually want to play!

• Members

Yeah... folks lend out gear. I have a buddy that has had a set of $200 Sony headphones since ~1998 or so.

And I borrowed am ~1982 JCM800 combo for close to two years about 1997-1998.

I assume I'll never see the headphones again (which is fine) and I never would have dreamed of selling or trading that Marshall. Even if he'd never taken it back, it would still be right here.

There's definitely no excuse for selling a friend's gear. EVER. If you are a tech and someone doesn't pick something up after a year... then sure. To help comp the lost funds from your labor, but not a friend's gear.

• Members

Oh boy I have gone through this one a few times. I lent a friend who was making a CD an acoustic and finally had to ask for it after two years, but I did not have a problem with this as he was a phenomenal player who was flat broke. On the other hand I was away for three years and my wife told me during a phone call that a friend came by to borrow a Tele but wanted my #1 in which I told her no way knowing his personality and the fact he could barely play, but I did lend him a nice Fender Blackface. When I came home I saw him and asked him for the guitar back, which by the 5th time I asked I was getting twisted and then found out while I was gone the idiot developed a crack habit(I really do not understand how guys who never did hard drugs wind up crack addicts in there mid 30s) bottom line I had to pull him out of his house and went and got my guitar out of a pawn shop for $300 which I made sure he payed back. I also had the habit of always letting someone checkout a guitar of mine in the guitar shop I hangout in, but I learned my lesson there 10 months ago. I scored a NOS CS guitar off of ebay and was on a cloud, I brought it in to show my friend Mike that owns the store and the regulars. It just si happened A friend I know for 30 years was in the store who I had not seen in sometime and he asked to check it out, I saw Mike shake his head no as if it was in slow motion but handed the guitar to him anyway in which he starts strumming like a mad man with no pick so I cut that short and when he left I realized he was lit like a Christmas tree and I had 3 cuts in the clearcoat from his nails, so I have not handed anything to anyone since and have a list of two people I would lend a guitar to now.

• Members

I lent out my MIM 60's ri strat to a friend who wanted to learn- this was about 4 years ago... he still hasn't really learned but wants to :lol: It just kinda turned into me giving it to him cause I don't need or miss it and it's not worth the 200-300 hassle with lowballers on CL to sell it. I see him all the time though and play for people when i'm over his place so it has come in handy.

My PRS std 22 has been on loan to my good buddy for like 2 years+ now- though he's def not douchey enough to sell it out from under me. I don't know if I plan on making him give it back to me before I move to Chicago but still, he never has a right to sell it (and def would not). But these guys are close friends I regularly see- I wouldn't give a long term loaner to someone I hardly know.

Archived