Do you need to be good at alternate picking to be considered a shredder?

Still.ill

• Members

I'm terrible at doing alternate picking runs across strings (the pick always seems to bump into the strings when crossing when i start speeding up from really slow speeds)

but then i realized most of my favorite "fast" players don't even use that much

(all of the lead guitarists from megadeth, eddie van halen, alex lifeson ,holdsworth

eddie and alex alternate picked but they only did it primarily on one string at a time

i feel like im deficient though because its a lot harder to sync up two hands

• Members

Combination of alternate picking, and legato, hammer-on, pull-off, sweep, tapping, etc. I think it's a bit of an artistic choice how you go about it. Alternate picking sounds different and maybe is more appropriate in some cases.

• Members

Paul Gilbert, "Alternate Picking is the Business Card of Shred"

Invest 10 bucks, pick up Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Electric Guitar and spend an hour a day on it and you will be conquer your string crossing problems in short order: it helps to isolate your problems so you can spend time practicing what really needs work.

• Members

If you don't have to have the skill, but there will difinately be some limitations on your playing, but really hybird/alternate or efficient alternate picking is the necessary skill. You can always hammer on/pull off or what ever to make up for timing gaps. But IMO there is nothing like the sound of digging in the pick in some fast, consistant alternate picking from one end of the neck to the other.

• Members

srsly tho, seems like he poasts this question every month, and everyone tells him the exact same things as before. Lame thread is lame.

well its better than the 300 posts about his Gibson ES-335 that cost $2800 last month....

next month...

"do you have to be good at alternate picking on a Gibson ES-335 in order to be considered a shredder?"

• Members

I say no.. I'm not a great shredder, but I can play pretty fast when the mood strikes me. I'm an econo picker through and through, and I make it work very well. So no, I say that alt picking is NOT required to be a shredder.

• Members

For some tempos you can get away not using it. Blues and ZZ top type stuff can often be done with all down strokes. For other stuff you have no alternatibe but to get the alternaitve picking down. I know it was a big stumbeling block for me when I reached a certain plateau long ago.

I often anchor my pinkey on the body when I'm doing some fancy alternative stuff so i dont loose track of my position. it can be fatiguing though because you're using your wrist alot more.

I think for some the problem can be strapping the guitar too low. Its may look and feel cool but its can make some picking styles a bitch. I'll usually put my right knee up and rest the guitar on it to adjust the strap to sitting height. Then I'll kick it down a few inches after I'm warmed up. It often feels too high that way when I first begin playing but that doesnt last too long. Its better than starting too low and working up.

The excercises to improve picking arent all that hard either but they can be boaring as hell. So are alot of the building excercises you do to keep in shape but they have to be done to keep that edge. just start them slow and gradually build up. You'll fin yourself using them in leads without even knowing it after awhile.

• Members

Blues and ZZ top type stuff can often be done with all down strokes.

WHen I studied blues in Texas, I was taught how to shred. The exercise I was taught is to alternate pick all of your scales or sweeps up and down at a slow pace, then keep moving up. It worked. I still do it. It's a great dexterity workout.

• Members

The excercises to improve picking arent all that hard either but they can be boaring as hell.

+1 More than a few times, I have actually fallen asleep while practicing alternate/economy picking....luckily I always where a guitar strap and sit in a supportive chair or trouble might have ensued.

• Members

I think good alt picking is required for any guitarist. If you don't do that well you are severely limiting yourself, especially when going btw single note riffs and chords.

Actually, I change my answer to this. I play country, jazz and bluegrass, and I'd be lost without alternate picking.

• Members

I agree with RavenCAD. I think alt picking can certainly help, but it seems that it isn't necessary.

well if by "shredder", you mean very technical rock guitar player, then youre nothing if you dont have a good basis basis in all of these techniques...

or if "shredder" means you can do some quick licks here and there to impress people who have no clue about guitar playing, then why even bother, just learn some quick tapping licks, then do a whammy dive with a lot of distortion and everyone will think youre the next EVH

Archived