Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you need to be good at alternate picking to be considered a shredder?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need to be good at alternate picking to be considered a shredder?

I'm terrible at doing alternate picking runs across strings (the pick always seems to bump into the strings when crossing when i start speeding up from really slow speeds)

but then i realized most of my favorite "fast" players don't even use that much
    (all of the lead guitarists from megadeth, eddie van halen, alex lifeson ,holdsworth
    eddie and alex alternate picked but they only did it primarily on one string at a time

i feel like im deficient though because its a lot harder to sync up two hands
    love is suicide

Combination of alternate picking, and legato, hammer-on, pull-off, sweep, tapping, etc. I think it's a bit of an artistic choice how you go about it. Alternate picking sounds different and maybe is more appropriate in some cases.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

I would say yes. Not everybody relies on it, but it's a fundamental skill.
      I'm in a band called Little Sluggers. Signature.

Comment

Yeah, there's no way around it.
        Founding member of the HC Seven-String Syndicate
        Founding member of the HC Scalloped Squadron
        Washburn Sonic 7 > V847 > Tube King > Nano Stone > Fender Champ 600

Originally Posted by cratz2

Your shirt is the manliest shirt I've ever witnessed.
        And the fact that you haven't punched Cockbobbler Chickenguy in the naughty bits for making fun of it proves how much of a stud you truly are.

Comment

Paul Gilbert, "Alternate Picking is the Business Card of Shred"

Invest 10 bucks, pick up Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Electric Guitar and spend an hour a day on it and you will be conquer your string crossing problems in short order: it helps to isolate your problems so you can spend time practicing what really needs work.
          "Go to the musicians, in the work of a few musicians you can hear every aspect of this conflict between light and dark within the soul.” - Hugh Maclennan/The Watch That Ends the Night

"And the guitar players, they look damaged...they been outcasts all their lives" - Jagger/Richards

Comment

OP, how many times are you gonna ask this question?

Comment

OP, how many times are you gonna ask this question?

every second post...he is alternately picking you.
              "Go to the musicians, in the work of a few musicians you can hear every aspect of this conflict between light and dark within the soul.” - Hugh Maclennan/The Watch That Ends the Night

"And the guitar players, they look damaged...they been outcasts all their lives" - Jagger/Richards

Comment

srsly tho, seems like he poasts this question every month, and everyone tells him the exact same things as before. Lame thread is lame.

Comment

^ this is the first I have seen but it seems you are correct sir. Sign of insanity...repetition of same event expecting different results

Comment

Not necessarily....if you have highly developed hybrid picking and legato skills you can pull off some blazing fast stuff without relying on strict alternate picking. Richie Kotzen is a good example of that type of player.
                    Originally Posted by Rampage

**************** cleans, play distortion?

Originally Posted by RiffDaemon

The scratchy high-end sounds like a wreck in Excitebike

Originally Posted by buddhapaugh

I had a nightmare experience like yours, Nerine, when I was in my late 20's/early 30's and was doing the tag-team thing with my buddy over the toilet. Now that was something----

Guitars:
                    Fender-Hamer-Michael Kelly-Starfield-Ibanez

Amps/Cabs
                    Drive-Eminence-Electro Harmonix-Fender-Jet City-Kustom-VHT-Yamaha

FX
                    ISP-Keeley-Pigtronix

Comment

If you don't have to have the skill, but there will difinately be some limitations on your playing, but really hybird/alternate or efficient alternate picking is the necessary skill. You can always hammer on/pull off or what ever to make up for timing gaps. But IMO there is nothing like the sound of digging in the pick in some fast, consistant alternate picking from one end of the neck to the other.
                      Builds
                      2011 Fly Customs V
                      2010 Fly Customs Explorer
                      2010 Fly Customs LP
                      2010 Fly GFS LP

Comment

srsly tho, seems like he poasts this question every month, and everyone tells him the exact same things as before. Lame thread is lame.

well its better than the 300 posts about his Gibson ES-335 that cost $2800 last month....

next month...

"do you have to be good at alternate picking on a Gibson ES-335 in order to be considered a shredder?"

Comment

Yes

Comment

I say no.. I'm not a great shredder, but I can play pretty fast when the mood strikes me. I'm an econo picker through and through, and I make it work very well. So no, I say that alt picking is NOT required to be a shredder.
                            Signature...

Comment

I think good alt picking is required for any guitarist. If you don't do that well you are severely limiting yourself, especially when going btw single note riffs and chords.
                              Listen...

Comment

Working...
                              X