NGD! Back to basics!

Skyforger

• Members

the springs for the saddles are on the wrong side of the bridge. They need to go behind the saddles and in front of the bridge plate...
:facepalm:

Well... Yeah. We know this. Obviously the previous owner didn't. Any idea why they may have done it like this?

• Members

Well... Yeah. We know this. Obviously the previous owner didn't. Any idea why they may have done it like this?

My guess is he took it all apart at some point and forgot which way they went on and proceeded to put the springs on backward.

• Members
DSC00212.jpg

I've never seen saddles arranged like this. It hasn't been a problem, though. There was enough adjustment in them to intonate properly.

Aside from the springs in back of the bridge it looks like the saddles are in position for the guitar to be strung up to be played left handed.

To sell faster,the pawn shop might have restrung it for right hand use without maybe knowing or caring about the intonation.

• Members

Aside from the springs in back of the bridge it looks like the saddles are in position for the guitar to be strung up to be played left handed.

To sell faster,the pawn shop might have restrung it for right hand use without maybe knowing or caring about the intonation.

It's an interesting theory. If the pawn shop restrung it, it would've been a long time ago... This was one of those "immediate restring needed" used guitars :lol:

• Members

I'm betting you didn't see it either. Good come back tho.

You can bet, but it'd be foolish. I AM the one that took the bridge apart in order to reattach the bridge plate. Which involved taking off the saddles.

• Members
It's an interesting theory. If the pawn shop restrung it, it would've been a long time ago... This was one of those "immediate restring needed" used guitars
:lol:

Don't know but it's intonated for left hand use. Probably owned by multiple people. one being a lefty, who then might have sold it to a righty, maybe a beginner who knew nothing about saddle placement. Must have sounded terrible.

Could also be some used strings might have been slapped on before or after pawning.

• Members

First year for the Affinity series. Back then they had full size 1-11/16" nuts, 22 frets and full size alder bodies. The slabs of rosewood on the necks where massively thick too. Nice find.

Thank you! First year for the Affinity Series, huh? I'll have to do a proper side-by-side comparison between this one and my 2003 Aff. Series. Never liked those big ol' headstocks...

• Members
You can bet, but it'd be foolish. I AM the one that took the bridge apart in order to reattach the bridge plate. Which involved taking off the saddles.

The block was detatched from the plate? What was the springs or strings attached to?:confused:

Or the screws were missing and the block and plate were held together by the strings through the block? Wonder why the B plate screws were removed?? That's weird.:eek:

• Members

I have it's twin. Purchased off craigslist late last year. MIC 98. This one has 1 5/8 nut and full depth body but I think it's basswood. Decent guitar for the small price they seem to go for.

squier002.jpg

Wahey! Twins :D

Even if it is only two years younger, it still looks to be in much better condition than mine :lol:

The block was detatched from the plate? What was the springs or strings attached to?

Or the screws were missing and the block and plate were held together by tension? Wonder why the screws were removed?? That's weird.

The whole assembly was held together purely by the tension in the strings and trem springs. No idea why it was like this, but it was an easy fix at least. Thankfully, the screws were still there, just not attached to anything.

• Members
The whole assembly was held together purely by the tension in the strings and trem springs. No idea why it was like this, but it was an easy fix at least. Thankfully, the screws were still there, just not attached to anything.

Maybe the guy was a genius and came up with some new trem trick?:lol: Just kidding I think.

• Members

Maybe the guy was a genius and came up with some new trem trick?
Just kidding...I think???

What is it they say? "There's a thin line between genius and insanity"? Actually, I think that's an Iron Maiden lyric. Anyway, my best guess is some kind of attempted fix, so you're not alone.

• Members

Also, here's a tip for young men with musically skeptical wives/girlfriends:

This is my first ever guitar, a 1990 Squier Bullet 1

DSC001301.jpg

And the Strat I just bought

DSC00211.jpg

For those of you with wives/girlfriends that dislike you having so many guitars, but aren't that interested in them, buy guitars that look similar. My partner still hasn't noticed :lol:

Best thing I ever learned from my dad.

• Members

For those of you with wives/girlfriends that dislike you having so many guitars, but aren't that interested in them, buy guitars that look similar. My partner still hasn't noticed

Best thing I ever learned from my dad.

Heh, interesting thought...probably works the same way for my wife... How do I know if she has new shoes? They all look the same to me :-)

• Members

Maybe when/if they tried to intonate they couldn't get the saddle to move back far enough with the spring?? Decided to move them to the outside.

^ This. Easy to see from the pics, assuming that it is correctly intonated in the pic, that those springs would mostly have to be cut down to fit where they are supposed to go.

Archived