Worst professional guitar tone?

gorebreath

• Members

I'm talking people who are "technically" musicians not 16 year old pizzafaces playing through a line 6 on insane with bass and treble on 10 and mids on 2 that whore youtube and guitar center.

I have the poll just to see who people think has worse tone out of them, but of course post whoever you feel has the worst.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG piezo acoustic tone is death, in a live setting I am sure it would do fine but I don't get if you have the option to switch to an acoustic (like you do in the studio) then why use a mimic?

I thought the same thing when I got this album. Elsewhere on the album, they use a mic'd acoustic tone. I agree, it makes no sense to use a piezo in that situation.

• Members

I LOVE Randy and I respect Dimebag, but theirs are the first two tones that come to mind.

I certainly don't like Kerry King's tone, but his is unique. He has a weird, droppy thing he does with the trem that makes him sound pretty distinctive. The first time I ever heard No Sleep Til Brooklyn, I immediately said, 'That's Kerry King from Slayer!' There's a lot to be said for that.

• Members

[video=youtube;S2Ju5OX80Fc]

Sounds epic on the album, but whenever this guy plays live it sounds like ass.

He needs to drop Laney, I can't think of any artist that sounds awesome with Laneys high-gain amps. Paul Gilberts tone is pretty terrible, even though he is an amazing player.

• Members

I thought of Dimebag right away. He had a very hollow sound that I'd use as the prime example of scooped mids.

Stephen Carpenter on early Deftones records had really scooped, hollow mids as well, but he sounded better by the time of their third album or so.

• Members

Give Steve Vai PRS straight into a Matchless and his tone would be the most improved, he is such a great guitarist but some times it sounds like he is playing rubber bands on plywood (other times it simple sounds like a Ibanez Strat with a Handle cut out of it and I have been in studios with his settup and no one sounded any bettter... in fact his rig stayed off

I apologize to anyone that spent their hard earned money on that guitar on a positive note I know they have good action good pups and a useful (throwing )carrying handle. ( and I play

a BC Rich even more hated than that!).... Neil Yong, Jimmy Page? Tone monsters!

Archived