Maestro Guitars?

Spirithawk

• Members

Anyone know anything about Maestro Guitars? I know they tend to make them pretty but how do they sound and play? I'm looking for a hollow or semi-hollow body and this guitar sure caught my eye. Runs about $300. But ya can't play pretty alone. lol

KGrHqJi4E2KIRigK7BNoy-wE1_3.jpg

• Members

They list as having flamed maple tops but looks combined with Birds Eye to the outsides.

Here's another example of one. I'd sure like to find one somewhere and try it out. This Ebay add would make me nervous as it's obviously pics of two differant guitars.

KGrHqYOKkIE1q2cgf-BNozGcsQRw_3.jpg

KGrHqEOKkME1qKbRUyKBNozG1mwWw_3.jpg

• Members

Theres 2 different Maestro companies. Theres Gibson Masetro that makes cheap electrics with bolt on necks (likely imports like epiphones are) They used to make the effects pedals for gibson too and were very well built back in the 70's/80s before they quit manufacturing them. I still have one of two I bought back then and its built like a tank.

The pics posted are another chineese company that has been using the name Maestro and were founded in 2004 in singapore. They shouldnt be confused with the Gibson Maestro and likely know its another method of stealing from american companies that already had established names, except in this case, they arent building counterfit guitars (though the designs posted are ES335's) they are just stealing the name right out and suckering people in.

• Members

Theres 2 different Maestro companies. Theres Gibson Masetro that makes cheap electrics with bolt on necks (likely imports like epiphones are) They used to make the effects pedals for gibson too and were very well built back in the 70's/80s before they quit manufacturing them. I still have one of two I bought back then and its built like a tank.

The pics posted are another chineese company that has been using the name Maestro and were founded in 2004 in singapore. They shouldnt be confused with the Gibson Maestro and likely know its another method of stealing from american companies that already had established names, except in this case, they arent building counterfit guitars (though the designs posted are ES335's) they are just stealing the name right out and suckering people in.

I kinda figured as much but I can't help but wonder if one would be worth owning as they are not priced very high.

• Members

Take a close look at the pickup covers and the lines between the types of wood.. its way off center. That would bug me and be a nogo deal breaker. Unfortunately, the gold will probably flake off in 3 months also. But I love the looks and WOULD own one if it was a great specimen. Very Cool.

KGrHqYOKkIE1q2cgf-BNozGcsQRw_3.jpg

• Members

I still have my parametric filter overdrive unit. Wasnt cheap then and they're worth a mint now.

My buddy had the fuzztain which sounded real kick ass.

I believe its was a compression overdrive combination. It had a litte big muff tone but much better drive tone.

The boards all has glass caps and plug in op amps. All highest quality parts inside.

• Members

I still have my parametric filter overdrive unit. Wasnt cheap then and they're worth a mint now.

My buddy had the fuzztain which sounded real kick ass.

I believe its was a compression overdrive combination. It had a litte big muff tone but much better drive tone.

The boards all has glass caps and plug in op amps. All highest quality parts inside.

I had the chance to buy those Maestro effects units, but never the money. Evans Music City on Westheimer used to carry Maestro effects back in the '70s. I ended up buying a MuTron Phasor, A/DA Flanger, and a Morley FuzzWah from Evans -- all of which I still have.

• Members

Norlin-era Maestro made accessories such as tremolos and effects units.

Maestro made a Stage series of effects units that you could control totally with your feet. It's too bad nobody's made effects units like this since.

maestrostagephaseryb3.jpg

Somewhat recently in the Henry-J-era, Gibson revived the Maestro name for cheap guitars aimed at the young beginner's market.

b

Maestro existed long, long before Norlin, they just inherited it. Maestro was launched by Gibson in the '50's (IIRC). You'll find '50's and '60's Maestros amps, the Echoplex, and, of course, this bad boy in 1962 launched a whole collection of effects. And gave the Rolling Stones the signature tone for their signature song.

00001475.jpg

During the legendary McCarty era, Gibson was owned by an amp company called Chicago Musical Instruments, so electronic amps and gizmos were heavily pushed.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I know this is a zombie post, but I actually just bought the guitar he was asking about. First off, the neck is wonderful! A nice rounded "C" shape that fits the hand quite well. Fretboard is rosewood, with medium jumbo frets. Plastic nut with pretty decent tuners. The trem, a Bigsby clone, actually works. The bridge, not bad, minus the fact it should have rollers for saddles. It IS laminate, with some pretty veneers, but hey, so is a Gibson. The pickups, most likely Artec, suck. No tone in the neck, and the bridge was pathetic at best. Cheap pots and wires also.

All that being said, it plays quite nicely, on par with my Ibanez AS73, decent tone and sustain with the addition of the Duncan P-Rails, and it looks killer!

8dd7dda15a701f4fbd4ff52137290d67.thumb.JPG.40d325e68725601a636860cbcd6b649e.JPG

• Members
Maestro guitars are meant to be sold to department stores and are as bad or worse than the bottom of the line Epiphone juniors.

Franken, have you played one? Or just going by price? I can't speak for the other models, but I am quite impressed with mine, ranking it around the build quality of Ibanez. Try one, before dumping on it.

And before you ask, Yes, I have had/have quality guitars, and I know my way around a guitar, doing an apprenticeship with Martin and Ibanez in my 20's.

• Members
Maestro guitars are meant to be sold to department stores and are as bad or worse than the bottom of the line Epiphone juniors.

Is there a parallel universe somewhere that still has musical instrument sales at department stores? Discount retailers barely even carry instruments these days ...

• Members

Franken, have you played one? Or just going by price? I can't speak for the other models, but I am quite impressed with mine, ranking it around the build quality of Ibanez. Try one, before dumping on it.

I've seen probably somewhere under 20 Maestros and briefly played maybe 2. All the Maestros I've seen were single cut LP juniors or 2 humbucker juniors with bolt on necks. The hardware used on these things was really cheapo soft metal stuff. I believe these were probably starter pack guitars because I also occasionally seen little bitty cheapo Maestro amps. Other than that, I've never seen a Maestro guitar like yours or the other Rick clone shown above. Were any of these ever available in the USA?

• Members

Those are the Gibson Maestros, the Paul and SG like creatures. they were originally made for Baldwin, for schools, then Gibson decided to mass market these pieces of crap. The Maestro's in question, aren't them. They are copies of other guitars, not the Paul's or SG.

• Members
Those are the Gibson Maestros' date=' the Paul and SG like creatures. they were originally made for Baldwin, for schools, then Gibson decided to mass market these pieces of crap. The Maestro's in question, aren't them. They are copies of other guitars, not the Paul's or SG.[/quote']

Your Maestros are definitely more obscure than the Maestros I was talking about. Were they ever sold in the USA? I'd think a herd of lawyers would be after the people who made your Maestros. Baldwin guitars.... yes, now that you mention it, I've seen some of those too. The Baldwins were cheapo LP juniors also.

Archived