1980 Fender Lead II for $300

Shenaniganizer

• Members

Would you?

The ad says $350 but he told me $300.

I may offer $250.

I know nothing about these guitars (seeking input), but for some reason, I'm quite drawn to it. The owner said it's got a 23 3/4" scale. Not too bad, but, shorter than I'm used to. It's also got a Kahler fixed bridge, which is a modification, if I'm not mistaken. He said he got it like that. I've hated every Kahler I've laid my hands on, but I've never experienced their fixed bridges, and hey.. Marty Friedman had one on his signature Jackson, and if it's good enough for him, I don't see why it couldn't be for me. :p

Anyone own(ed) one? What did you think? Is it a good deal?

• Members

That Kahler kills it for me. Too much $$$ for a Lead II with a hunk of wood routed out of it IMO. If it was original, I'd be all over it though.

I had a friend who had a Lead I and a Lead II back in the day. They were kinda cool guitars, actually. I have short fingers so I felt pretty comfortable on the short scale. Funny the things you remember, but my biggest recollection about his guitars was the way the toggle switches felt...they seemed like really beefy switches and had a real positive "clunk" when you switched them. Weird that I remember that.

• Members

Kahler bridge is aftermarket. Looks like somebody put that stupid locking nut on there too. Leads came with bridges similar to a hardtail Strat.

All Leads had the standard Strat scale and their necks were interchangeable - many of the maple ones were identical to the first run of vintage reissue Strats. As was the preference then, necks ranged from moderately thin to dental floss with frets.

They didn't come with nitro finishes. They came with thick poly finishes that tended to self-destruct in bizarre and sometimes very cool ways. Of course a large number of them will be refins now and that's not considered a drawback.

The pickups on the Lead II were X-1 pickups designed for some deluxe edition of the Strat whose name I forget. They're on the hot side and have a very nice bite to them. Aftermarket Strat pups will bolt right in, but the stockers are better than most. The humbuckers that came on the other models are THE {censored} and in my opinion, kick the piss out of the original Wide Range buckers and everything Fender has done since. They're big and ugly and won't fit in a standard sized mount, so there's not much market or hype for them.

Honestly, for $250 I'd jump on that. There's no real collector's value if that's what you want, - you could probably make $100 on eBay if you did a good ad, but that's about it. But if you can live with the skinny neck, they're really great fun to play and sound quite nice. The Kahler is inappropriate for this, or any other guitar, but it shouldn't be a problem as long as it in no way functions as designed.

• Members

I had a Lead 1 as a second guitar. I dug it with a mitchell pro 100 + 1-12 ev in an oversized and insulated cab. My dorm-mates got tired of Zepellin songs being repeated all day! It lasted until 1988, when I threw it from the second floor to the street. I think Seth Lover or someone made the humbucker.

It was $400 brand new with case back in the day, I had a black one , which has alder wood. The wine-red ones are made out of ash wood. They sell for $600 at the local Guitar Showcase, if you can find one (3yrs ago).

• Members

I don't see a locking nut on the one I posted, guys. I see a bone nut.
:confused:
How hard would it be to swap a standard hardtail in? Do those Kahler fixed bridges require routing?

It was one of those behind the nut nut:

gib73lpdeluxe-csb-trem4.jpg

I am clueless with Kahlers, I don't even know if its the same model, but looking at this picture it seems like there were no extra routing done, just couple of screw holes, don't take my word for it though.

Kahler3310comparison.jpg

Archived