Anyone own a Ibanez TSA15H?

profgalen

• Members

http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/model-TSA15H

I'm seriously thinking about one of these. I like the sound of 6V6 amps. The Tube Screamer doesn't really interest me unless it could be modded like a TS pedal. I can't find a manual online and I would really like to know if it's adjustable bias or fixed, as I would probably be switching out the tubes with my favorite 6V6s. Any other 6V6 heads in this price range?

Sorry to ask an amp question on HCEG but, you know...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just picked one up yesterday with the matching cab. The manual (printed in China) is not of much use. Comes in multiple languages, each language is about 5 pages each. 2 pages of warnings, 1 page of trouble shooting (plug cord in....turn switch on....), 1 page of switch and plug locations and 1 page telling you what each one does. It doesn't say anything about adjustable or fixed bias, and I'm new to tube amps so I don't know how to tell from looking at the tubes (or even if you could)

I love the amp. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

• Members

I just picked one up yesterday with the matching cab. The manual (printed in China) is not of much use. Comes in multiple languages, each language is about 5 pages each. 2 pages of warnings, 1 page of trouble shooting (plug cord in....turn switch on....), 1 page of switch and plug locations and 1 page telling you what each one does. It doesn't say anything about adjustable or fixed bias, and I'm new to tube amps so I don't know how to tell from looking at the tubes (or even if you could)

I love the amp. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Footswitchable Tubescreamer and boost built in? Looks like many player can make do with just this amp and a guitar.

• Members

I got one about 2 weeks ago. I love it. I use it with my Epi 1x12 cabinet.

In the 5 watt mode, it's at bedroom practice levels without the boost. With the boost, it gets pushed to a very loud 5 watts. The 15 watt mode is even better. It's a much fuller sound. The Tube Screamer makes a really nice distortion channel. Add the boost at the 15 watt setting and it just screams. But it's still very smooth sounding. I quickly learned that the footswitch for it is very useful. I have no hesitance recommending this amp. It's a great buy IMHO. As for modding the TS circuit, I have no idea. I don't ordinarily mod my amps or pedals.

There are some really good demos of it available on YouTube.

EDIT: The TSA15H has really nice clean sounds. I can't say that about my Vox AC4TV8. I'm thinking of selling the Vox. The Ibanez is much better IMHO.

• Members

I'd get one for $225 as well. It would delay the inevitable Transatlantic purchase I see brewing probably around April or May. :lol:

A usable clean tone is an absolute MUST. I have an AC15 and a 5E3 combo, but I have three 2x12 cabs and I'd like a head of some sort to play through them. At $225, this is practice amp territory... or cheap enough to leave it in the garage full time. As a Vox lover, I really like the AC4... but it just doesn't have any where near a loud enough and clean enough tone for me as I play clean or slightly breaking up all the time.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I bought this amp 2 days ago, very disappointed....:confused:

The clean sounds are awesome, the options for connecting to just about any speaker cabinet is the most versatile out there today, BUT the overdrive section fails miserably and I would not consider it to even be slightly distorted. The distortion or overdrive is more of a clean guitar with a halfway clipping sound in the background. I am already looking for mods to this head, if done right, this could be the next most sought out guitar head on the market. Anyone know anybody that has modified this head yet? If so, please have them contact me @ grfx00@yahoo.com. I have contacted Ibanez, so dont even go there. They are protective of their wiring diagrams and not sure they really care to address this problem.

----UPDATE----

I recently played a tube screamer pedal and that is what my amp sounds like, so I believe this amp is in perfect working order. However, I am still disappointed that the TS is not what I would call a good distortion/overdrive pedal. Im looking for a mod that would replace the TS section with a heavier distortion sound so that I would not have to use any of my distortion sections on my Boss Me70. I tried the Blackstar, unfortunately, the overdrive section lacked only a little, and clean sounds were no where near the Ibanez lush clean tones.

• Members

Unless yours is broken or something... a Tube Screamer into a clean-ish Fender is a VERY common setup.

What does it look like on the inside? I was under the impression that it is LITERALLY the guts from an actual Tube Screamer pedal in front of a full tube amp.

If that's true, you could do any of the Tube Screamer mods. :idk:

• Members

I got one recently and REALLY love it. The clean sounds are fantastic with plenty of clean headroom. The boost is really useful and the TS circuit is just about perfect. I'm a TS lover, but the circuit in mine is just about perfect. I always have a TS on my board, so it was a no brainer for me. I'm sorry editorman1 had a bad experience, but I think you might just have a dud. I'd suggest you take it back for another. The TS on mine has tons of gain.

• Members

Mine has lots of gain. I think you got a dud. I'd exchange it.

I bought this amp 2 days ago, very disappointed....
:confused:
The clean sounds are awesome, the options for connecting to just about any speaker cabinet is the most versatile out there today, BUT the overdrive section fails miserably and I would not consider it to even be slightly distorted. The distortion or overdrive is more of a clean guitar with a halfway clipping sound in the background. I am already looking for mods to this head, if done right, this could be the next most sought out guitar head on the market. Anyone know anybody that has modified this head yet? If so, please have them contact me @
grfx00@yahoo.com
. I have contacted Ibanez, so dont even go there. They are protective of their wiring diagrams and not sure they really care to address this problem.

• 3 months later...

Archived