A white guy playing blues on a Les Paul other than Joe Bonamassa

genesis3

• Members

... or THIS guy ...

[video=youtube;iuVcp_XbaTI]

If you wanna skip the (admittedly very funny) preliminary studio screwing-around, come in at 1:00 ...

(this is the raw take before they overdubbed the string section)

Oh, by the way ... here's someone else who wasn't bad in his day ...

[video=youtube;rUUEtCBhn_Q]

• Members

^^^

Most of the lead on that is actually by Danny Kirwan (who also wrote and sang it) ... nevertheless, it's bluesy, it's played on a pair of Les Pauls and it ROCKS.

Also watch for Kirwan's string-break around two minutes in ...

• Members

^^^

He played a Telecaster with Butterfield and on the Dylan stuff ... then a P90-loaded goldtop ... then a 'burst with 'buckers ... and Strats in his later years, by which time he was also plating a lot of acoustic.

• Members

^^^

Most of the lead on that is actually by Danny Kirwan (who also wrote and sang it) ... nevertheless, it's bluesy, it's played on a pair of Les Pauls and it ROCKS.

It's too bad Kirwan (who I hear was unpleasant when he was fired from the Mac) doesn't get the recognition he deserves. His songwriting and playing is on the same level as Bob Welch and Lindsay Buckingham (Peter Green is truly above all of them). The band still had so many bad feelings toward him that they wouldn't put his name as a member when inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame.

• Members

Can't beat them British lads playing the blues. My choice is Mick Taylor playing what may be the greatest blues slide solo ever recorded on the greatest blues song ever written with the greatest rock & roll band in the world. Top that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCu7Qq1J-Jw

[video=youtube;tCu7Qq1J-Jw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCu7Qq1J-Jw

• Members

^^^

I always thought both guitarists were playing in a sort of call and response style with Kirwan's guitar mixed a tad higher. Peter's tone just KILLS Danny's, although Danny was a fine player. One of my favorite Green/ Mac songs written by Danny. Nicely showcased the student and the master. Peter was such a gracious bandmate. Class act.

• Members

I can't think of so many black guys that played blues on a les paul. But no doubt many will now be posted up here.

Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Freddy King all played goldtop Les Pauls in the 1950s before moving on ... Muddy to Teles and the other two to Gibson ES3xx models (John Lee also putting in a good few years on the Epi semi he always called 'Old Blondie').

• Members

Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Freddy King all played goldtop Les Pauls in the 1950s before moving on ... Muddy to Teles and the other two to Gibson ES3xx models (John Lee also putting in a good few years on the Epi semi he always called 'Old Blondie').

Yeah - I suppose that's it. They are not associated with the Les Paul in my mind. It has 'become' quite a white bluesman's guitar, maybe?

• Members

Dave Meniketti with his 68. It was a gold top originally but refinished before he bought it in 74. It's semi retired now, but not before sending it to Gibson to have a new neck. The old one was just too damaged from touring/playing. He said they recreated it perfectly, minus the damage of course.

[video=youtube;UnftWYzi0aM]

And another with a non Gibson.

[video=youtube;durhemVht9c]

• Moderators

Yeah - I suppose that's it. They are not associated with the Les Paul in my mind. It has 'become' quite a white bluesman's guitar, maybe?

Hubert Sumlin still packs a Goldie

[video=youtube;hPCPm0FPNk8]

[video=youtube;BYtgj5v49gE]

Other notables:

Jimmy Page

Billy Gibbons

Duane Allman

Dicky Betts

Brian Jones

Keith Richards (...don't forget he inspired Clapton to get a 59 flamer)

Paul Kossoff

Mick Taylor

Johnny Winter

Archived