No announcement yet.

A white guy playing blues on a Les Paul other than Joe Bonamassa

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A white guy playing blues on a Les Paul other than Joe Bonamassa

Snowy White. Remembered the name from his stint in Thin Lizzy , enjoy....

Snowy brings it!

This feller used to get a few notes out of a LP too...

Don't hate the game - hate the player!

Comment

Snowy's also notable for being Roger Waters' guitarist since Pink Floyd's Animals tour.

He gets a nice chance to solo here.
      Originally Posted by jnurp

hearing brokenhymen or whatever they are called makes me appreciate one single note from BB king that much more.

Originally Posted by jrkirkish

Obama: "The partisan divide is killing this country"
      Left side of the room: *Standing ovation*
      Right side of the room: *silence*
      Obama (later, alone and drinking): *facepalm*

Comment

... or THIS guy ...

If you wanna skip the (admittedly very funny) preliminary studio screwing-around, come in at 10 ...

(this is the raw take before they overdubbed the string section)

Oh, by the way ... here's someone else who wasn't bad in his day ...
        http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

I don't play a lot of fancy guitar. I don't want to play it. The kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean licks.
          ~ John Lee Hooker

Comment

^^^

Most of the lead on that is actually by Danny Kirwan (who also wrote and sang it) ... nevertheless, it's bluesy, it's played on a pair of Les Pauls and it ROCKS.

Also watch for Kirwan's string-break around two minutes in ...

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Comment

[QUOTE=csm;43222411]... or THIS guy ...

I actually started looking up live versions of that on youtube, and they all had Peter Green playing a strat for that song. (Still my favorite by FWM, though!)
              I don't play a lot of fancy guitar. I don't want to play it. The kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean licks.
              ~ John Lee Hooker

Comment

^^^

UK TV clips, probably from Top Of The Pops ... where he used a Strat to mime to a track recorded with THAT Les Paul ... the one he ended up selling to Gary Moore.

Comment

^^^

UK TV clips, probably from Top Of The Pops ... where he used a Strat to mime to a track recorded with THAT Les Paul ... the one he ended up selling to Gary Moore.

Is that the iconic one with the reverse-installed humbucker in the neck?
                  ~ John Lee Hooker

Comment

Couldn't find live footage for this song, but I know Bloomfield played a LP on most of his blues stuff:
                    ~ John Lee Hooker

Comment

^^^

He played a Telecaster with Butterfield and on the Dylan stuff ... then a P90-loaded goldtop ... then a 'burst with 'buckers ... and Strats in his later years, by which time he was also plating a lot of acoustic.

Comment

Can't forget Mick Taylor, the third leg of Mayall's Triple Crown.

Comment

^^^

Most of the lead on that is actually by Danny Kirwan (who also wrote and sang it) ... nevertheless, it's bluesy, it's played on a pair of Les Pauls and it ROCKS.

Also watch for Kirwan's string-break around two minutes in ...

It's too bad Kirwan (who I hear was unpleasant when he was fired from the Mac) doesn't get the recognition he deserves. His songwriting and playing is on the same level as Bob Welch and Lindsay Buckingham (Peter Green is truly above all of them). The band still had so many bad feelings toward him that they wouldn't put his name as a member when inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame.

Comment

I can't think of so many black guys that played blues on a les paul. But no doubt many will now be posted up here.
                            My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

Comment

Can't beat them British lads playing the blues. My choice is Mick Taylor playing what may be the greatest blues slide solo ever recorded on the greatest blues song ever written with the greatest rock & roll band in the world. Top that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCu7Qq1J-Jw

Comment

Working...
                              X