Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70-71 Gibson SG Price Advice

This just popped up on my local CL. I emailed the guy and said I'd meet him tomorrow. Still waiting for a reply...

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/msg/2445171689.html

Thoughts?
    LP Std/SG Classic > Classic 50 212

Good Deals: mrweems, costch

Definitely a cool guitar but I'd definitely check it out pretty well in person before I'd pull out that kind of cash. the whole removing the trem and sticking a tailpiece to it thing weirds me out about intonation.Then again i have no experience with a mod like this. I'm just going by some of the guitars that come into the store where I work. I've had some amazing guitars come through that were ruined by a hack job modification. I've scored some sweet modified guitars though. so i guess it's a toss up. Go try it out and take your time deciding on it. For that amount of cash there's a lot of great guitars out there.

Comment

Too high, IMO. Right off I can see the bridge is not original, and it looks like a refin as well. He says it has period correct features, instead of saying those features are original, which may be his way of hiding behind changed out pups, wiring, etc.
      Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

Comment

If the intonation is OK and it happens to play well, I'd grab it. The $800 price is to much since much of the originality is gone. If it happens to be a refinish, that really hurts the value seriously. You could always play the hell out of it and enjoy it though...isn't that what guitars are meant for??
        *********PROUD MEMBER OF THE GIBSON MAFIA***********
        Good Deals with: Box handler,the4thlast1,meowy,
        61reissue,Yavin,tspit74,musiclikscreams,Dega500,
        Powerglide350, Dark Sound,ambitot pu phan, DJFrank(x2),Salameri544,CRANK,BloodBros,ChuckMehh, Devnulljp,Dark Aegis,TheIgnoramus

*A couple of Gibson's, a cord, some dunlop picks and some cornbread...
        http://www.youtube.com/user/DR440

Comment

One with the original trem and the finish has not turned brown "Blue Books", at $2300 (low) to $2800 (high). If the finish has turned brownish then the value decreases by 30%. So if its brownish, which it looks that way and missing the Maestro tail piece then the price may not be too bad. If you could pick up the missing pieces, you have a $1600 guitar. Im looking at the 2011 Vintage Guitar Guide.
          I like Z Cars
          and Guitars

Comment

These older Gibsons cherry finishes are known to turn brown, which this one looks like it has.
            I like Z Cars
            and Guitars

Comment

Ok cool guys. Thanks for the comments.

GrimRobes, I'm not sure that's really a modification. Isn't that the original 'style' bridge for this guitar? I think its just missing the trem...whether the tailpiece is original is another question. But nothing appears to have been added...

Comment

I say get off your lawnchair and go check it out.

Comment

Here is a complete 71 SG special

I like Z Cars
                  and Guitars

Comment

Its just missing the tail and the paint has "browned". I would buy it, find the missing trem, and put it on. If you dont like trems, but one and leave it off. When you decide to sell it, put it on and you can easily make a nice profit.
                    I like Z Cars
                    and Guitars

Comment

These older Gibsons cherry finishes are known to turn brown, which this one looks like it has.

No, by late 60's or so, they changed from Cherry to Walnut. Walnut is brown right out of the can.

Cherry:

Walnut:

Price? I dunno. I can't see enough to authenticate it (I with there was a close-up of the cavity), but if it's mostly original, I think $800 is a good price, maybe great if it's truly most stock. It may not be such a bargain though. I would say you chances are very high that it'll need a $250+ refret by now.

It may be moot anyway, people go ape-**************** over old Gibson at affordable prices, don't be surprised if someone didn't stip to ask about it on any forum and just bought it as fast as they could.

Comment

First off, I can't believe you all are even offering advice when you aren't familiar enough with the model to know what hardware came on it stock.

I had a good idea what kind of bridge it came with, but unoriginal to me meant the tailpiece was missing at best and it would need a probable un-original replacement. I agree with what you say about the Gibson-ites, there will be many vintage dealers in a town the size of Indianapolis, and if it is still there tomorrow, that probably means the vintage dealers dont think it is that great of a deal and have passed on it.
                        Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

Comment

I had a good idea what kind of bridge it came with, but unoriginal to me meant the tailpiece was missing at best and it would need a probable un-original replacement. I agree with what you say about the Gibson-ites, there will be many vintage dealers in a town the size of Indianapolis, and if it is still there tomorrow, that probably means the vintage dealers dont think it is that great of a deal and have passed on it.

Missing is not unoriginal. And most SG Specials are missing their Maestros because they were pure **************** to begin with. While it does affect resale....it's not by a whole lot.

I agree if it sits around on CL, there may be a reason.

Comment

It obviously has the crack near the jack where someone stepped on the cord. That's one of three typical locations for breaks, the others being the neck/body joint, and the headstock. Walnut was an option back then, but cherry faded to brown in a lot of cases, too.
                            Originally Posted By Trace-P38
                            Flogger wins.

Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
                            Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.

Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
                            Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush

http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys.

I don't know of a ton of vintage dealers in Indy...this town is pretty much a cultural wasteland. Anyway, he emailed me back this morning and we set a time to meet.

Before I see it, what should I be looking for as far as dating the parts/electronics? I've had several SGs so I know about the typical break locations, looking for plugged holes, original tuners, etc. Were the pots and pickups dated back then?

Comment

Working...
                              X