Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

12" radius locking nut ANYWHERE ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" radius locking nut ANYWHERE ?

Guys, is there a Floyd style 12" locking nut anywhere ? I need one for a 12" radi guitar i'm having floyded. Any help would more than appreciated, as I'm thinking a 10" would be too much of a mismatch, and the 14" ones stew-mac supposedly sells would as well...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Good Trades: Phillbis, wesleyryanlynch, creep66, pbdog, jl in nc</div>

I do too cant find any either wtf
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Fender American Special Mahogany Stratocaster.<br><br>Fender American Series FSR Chambered Mahogany Telelcaster.<br>warmoth strat Floyd<br><br><br><br><br><br>Crate V30 head<br><br>Avatar cab.<br><br>Bad Monkey.<br><br>Ibanez WH10 wah.<br><br>Line 6 Podxt3.<br><br><br><br>Right Wing Forum Guard.</div>

Comment

I don't believe there is one.

All original Floyd Rose hardware is made OEM by Schaller, the all FR bridges and nuts both are fixed to a 10" radius, as are their Schaller labelled counterparts. You can't raise the saddles like you can a traditional Strat trem. People make due with aftermarket shims on the outer saddles to force them higher, in theory that could work at the nut too. But ultimately it's a jury-rigged (yes, that's used correctly) solution.

That's one of the reasons Gibson used Kahler back in the '80's. Kahler had adjustable saddles that could be raised and lowered to change radius. And they used string locks behind the nut, allowing the lock to be to be used with any existing nut and/or radius. Unfortunately, this was Kahler's biggest weakness, the string lock created a horrible break angle over the nut and it was a tuning nightmare.

You do no the Floyd Rose Bridge itself has a fixed 10" radius.

Comment

I don't recall exactly when or where, but it occurs to me that there were several different versions of those nuts available at one time, in chrome, gold, and black, and in a 9", 10", 12" and 15" radii. Check the stickies info in the guitar forums, Mus.Fr., and google 12" radius floyd rose nut.
        It might take some heavy research, but I'll lay even odds that there is someone out there who's still got a few or perhaps even still making them...

They have made and still make four different versions of the nut, all in Chrome, Gold and Black...but all four are 10" radius, it's the nut width and/or string spacing that changes. R/L2 is 1 5/8"; R/L3 is 1 11/16" nut with the strings spaced as they would be for the narrower 1-5/8" nut; R/L4 is 1-11/16" with traditional 1-11/16" string spacing; R/L4 is a 1-3/4" nut.

Real Floyd Roses bridges and nuts have ALWAYS been fixed to a 10" radius. But some of the knock-offs may vary, as the OP noted, Stewmac sell a generic that is fixed at 14" radius.

Comment

Depends on what kind of lock you need. If you want the ones that act as a nut then they may be a harder find. i suppose you could modify one to a 12" radius. If you use a normal nut and use a lock in back of the nut then theres no issue with radius because the nut does the job. I suppose you could use locking tuners as well.

Comment

Depends on what kind of lock you need. If you want the ones that act as a nut then they may be a harder find. i suppose you could modify one to a 12" radius. If you use a normal nut and use a lock in back of the nut then theres no issue with radius because the nut does the job. I suppose you could use locking tuners as well.

Locking tuners don't do the same job.

And the lock that goes behind the nut really doesn't work well, that's one of the reasons Kahler went out of business originally.

One could probably machine some shims for a Floyd nut.

Comment

Locking tuners don't do the same job.

And the lock that goes behind the nut really doesn't work well, that's one of the reasons Kahler went out of business originally.

One could probably machine some shims for a Floyd nut.

If you lube the nut it would work as well as any other whammy would. But i agree having the lock as a nut is better.

Shims dont fix radius, only cutting the grooves down in the center strings would. I'd have to look at a floys locking nut again but I dont think it would be hard if you have the proper nut files.

Comment

If you lube the nut it would work as well as any other whammy would. But i agree having the lock as a nut is better.

Shims dont fix radius, only cutting the grooves down in the center strings would. I'd have to look at a floys locking nut again but I dont think it would be hard if you have the proper nut files.

Yeah, I see my mistake.

I was thinking of locking the nut between the lock and shim, but then the scale wouldn't zero at the groove.

Comment

so for a gib. les paul studio, I would need the R4 right ? not the R3
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Good Trades: Phillbis, wesleyryanlynch, creep66, pbdog, jl in nc</div>

Comment

What size is on the Floyded ESP Eclipses? I thought they were 12?
                    Good deals with Guitarist17, itsallinmyh3ad , Advv , Skaaks , Further Lo , CBP12877 , Jimmy Clark , floydroseuser and more I can't remember its been over 10 years .

Comment

so for a gib. les paul studio, I would need the R4 right ? not the R3

I heard that R3 would fit for 1 11/16 neck with binding. R4 fit for no binding.

Comment

I heard that R3 would fit for 1 11/16 neck with binding. R4 fit for no binding.

That's what I have heard through the years. I think it depends on the guitar.

But, on paper, the R4 is the nut for a LP Studio.

Comment

Guys, is there a Floyd style 12" locking nut anywhere ? I need one for a 12" radi guitar i'm having floyded. Any help would more than appreciated, as I'm thinking a 10" would be too much of a mismatch, and the 14" ones stew-mac supposedly sells would as well...

I know nothing about FR, but I know that Carvin's default neck radius is 12', and they sell locking nuts as well, so maybe this will do:
                          http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=LN6C&cid=88

?

Comment

I know nothing about FR, but I know that Carvin's default neck radius is 12', and they sell locking nuts as well, so maybe this will do:
                            http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=LN6C&cid=88

?

That's an R3, 10" radius.

Carvin offers 10", 12", 14", and compound fretboard radius.

Comment

That's an R3, 10" radius.

Carvin offers 10", 12", 14", and compound fretboard radius.

Wyatt, on a 10-16 compound, what can we do about the saddles? raise them to 18-20'' ish? This is really holding me back from a warmoth.

Comment

Working...
                              X