Do we really NEED more guitars?

steve_man

• Members

I don't know...I was watching the news coming out of Africa last night. Really made me think. While we sit and drool over more guitars, there are a lot of people starving to death. Kinda makes it hard for me to justify any new gear, when I could give that money to someone who needs something as basic as food.

Not trying to be a downer...and I love my gear...just thinking out lout...:idk:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We don't NEED even one guitar. That car/truck you're driving? Don't need that either. How about your cell phone, computer, internet connection, etc? Don't need those. There are people right in the good old U.S. of A that are starving. I choose to volunteer my services at the local Union Gospel Mission a couple times a month. At least I'm giving something back where it matters most to me.

• Members

We don't NEED even one guitar. That car/truck you're driving? Don't need that either. How about your cell phone, computer, internet connection, etc? Don't need those. There are people right in the good old U.S. of A that are starving. I choose to volunteer my services at the local Union Gospel Mission a couple times a month. At least I'm giving something back where it matters most
to me

Agreed, that's why I sold my massive truck...to save money so that I can give to stuff like this famine. I also volunteer here locally. I also know that we will always have the poor...but does that mean we're off the hook? If one of these starving kids showed up at our door, would we shut the door and go back to playing our guitar? I sure hope not...

• Members

But what can we do about it?

That was sort of the OP's point. :D

We can do very little but give some money to aid organisations, that we trust will help the people in East Africa.

That is why some people might forgo a new guitar and spend that money to help others.

...ultimately it would be best if the worlds resources were better distributed, but as it is at the moment that is basically the most we can do as individuals.

• Members

Agreed, that's why I sold my massive truck...to save money so that I can give to stuff like this famine. I also volunteer here locally. I also know that we will always have the poor...but does that mean we're off the hook? If one of these starving kids showed up at our door, would we shut the door and go back to playing our guitar? I sure hope not...

You do whatever helps you sleep at night. Idealism can be very painful.

I'm a realist and I find the starvation and violence happening around the world disturbing. I try to help when I can. But, I'm not going to feel guilty because I'm wealthier than a lot of other people. I didn't feed on the powerless to get where I am. I'm also not Warren Buffet. Unfortunately, the people who are in power and could really make a difference aren't going to do a lot.

If you want to take the idealism all the way to the logical end, the answer is revolution. Unfortunately, overthrowing power is the only way you're going to end worldwide famine. Anything the middle class does is only going to be about like pissing on a bonfire to put it out...which is 'metaphorically' what I'm doing in your thread.

• Members

It's not "idealism"...it's called being human. No, I can't afford to fly to Somalia myself to help out...or trust me, I'd be there. However, just thumbing our nose at them because they are out of sight and out of mind, is not right, either. I may only help one with my donation...but it will matter to that one!

• Members

Giving them all that money will do nothing. There is no law or government in Somalia.
There are armed fighter groups. There are groups trying to kill add workers as we speak.

It is a failed state and many thingings have to be done before throwing a bunch of money at them would help. The strong would take it, the weak would die.

All they can do is try to feed the once that can make it out across the border.
Go ahead fly to Samolia, just don't expect to be welcomed with open arms. AK47 maybe

• Members

Lifeboat Ethics....sleep well and buy a new amp!

That article is as idiotic today as when it was written.

If we were to adapt the "lifeboat analogy" to todays reality it would be that 50 persons from the industrialized countries sit in a life boat that has room for 200 but won't even accept one person in the water onto it for fear that our ride might be less comfortable...

• Members

I don't know...I was watching the news coming out of Africa last night. Really made me think. While we sit and drool over more guitars, there are a lot of people starving to death. Kinda makes it hard for me to justify any new gear, when I could give that money to someone who needs something as basic as food.

Not trying to be a downer...and I love my gear...just thinking out lout...
:idk:

i'm with you 100%

• Members

Giving them all that money will do nothing.

BS excuse. Giving money (or time) to the right aid organizations will help ease some of the peoples' suffering. You're right the situation is dire and we can't "fix" it, but we can at least try to make things a little better for the people. That's something. "If you can't feed 100 people, then feed one." - Mother Theresa.

I certainly don't need more guitars, I don't need all the guitars I already have, but I'll be damned if it doesn't make me feel good to play music. Try to live the best life you can, and help your fellow man live their best life. They're not mutually exclusive.

• Members

That was sort of the OP's point.
:D

We can do very little but give some money to aid organisations, that we trust will help the people in East Africa.

That is why some people might forgo a new guitar and spend that money to help others.

...ultimately it would be best if the worlds resources were better distributed, but as it is at the moment that is basically the most we can do as individuals.

Yes, and what organizations would that be?

• Members

It's not "idealism"...it's called being human. No, I can't afford to fly to Somalia myself to help out...or trust me, I'd be there. However, just thumbing our nose at them because they are out of sight and out of mind, is not right, either. I may only help one with my donation...but it will matter to that one!

Who's thumbing their noses at them?

I remember reading about Egypt right after the economic downturn. Poor people there are so hungry that it's a common practice to make cookies from dirt and oil just to have something to put in their stomachs. It made me very sad but, at the time, we were all caught up in our own worries. So, the best I could do then was feel lucky that I wasn't in their spot. Meanwhile, I had surgery, lost my job, struggled to put food on the table and pay my mortgage. Personally, I still haven't fully recovered, yet I do feel somewhat blessed and lucky.

Do I really NEED more guitars? No. Should I feel guilty if I buy a guitar because somebody in the world is starving? No. Should Steve feel guilty that he's bought and sold a ton of gear in the 5 years I've been on this forum? No. Buying guitars does NOT cause famine. NOT buying guitars will not stop famine.

Buying guitars helps the economy move along which keeps people working and eating. Economics 101. Depending on the guitar, your purchase could represent a job to somebody in another country...which means that family won't have to eat dirt cookies. If we stop consuming goods, things will only get worse which will lead to MORE famine not less. Stop feeling guilty! Stop trying to make people who buy guitars feel guilty. Consuming luxury goods keeps people working and eating.

If you want to do the most good in a guitar community, start a guitar-gear company that donates all profits to famine. You can call it "Guitars For Food" or something. Buy a guitar, feed a family. Place the factory in Africa and put some of those people to work.

• Members

necessary??....is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?? NO, but I do it anyway cause its sterile and I like the taste...

BTW thats from Dodgeball the movie and its a joke i substituted need for necessary

yes its frivilous to buy all this gear, but id help out someone when i can

• Members

The fact is that the only reason hunger exists in those areas is because of corrupt governments ,or lack of a suitable government. Most of the food and or money is stolen by those in power. I suggest that you would do more good by exerting your charitable efforts into a situation that will do some good. Of course you can still give help to feed those areas if you wish, hoping that some of it might do some good. And perhaps it will.

As far as feeling guilty because we have had good fortune I suggest that that also helps no one. There will always be those who are better or worse off than you. You can't help anyone unless you already have everything you need. The question is, "How much do you need?" Only each individual can answer that.

My humble advice is to be grateful for your blessings and help those who you can. Play some music and make someone smile. You've got to feed peoples' souls too as well as their bodies.

• Members

I just did the same thing. I sold my Avalanche and paid off my wife's van and bought a beater to drive. That allows me an extra $450+ a month to minister with. It is really amazing how little funds it takes to help out. I pastor part time and our church has begun to work through Samaritan's Purse to provide opportunities for our members to help out. Each month we have a new project that is normally under $25 and we all pitch in to meet a goal.

Here is a link to some relief programs by Samaritan's Purse where you can give online to help support them. Everything from feeding kids to helping rescue sex slaves. Fantastic opportunities for all budgets for as little as $7.

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/Giving/gift_catalog/

• Members

If you want to do the most good in a guitar community, start a guitar-gear company that donates all profits to famine. You can call it "Guitars For Food" or something. Buy a guitar, feed a family. Place the factory in Africa and put some of those people to work.

Now THAT is a great idea! I have to think on this for a bit...perhaps buy/take donations of busted guitars, refurb and repair. Sell at a reasonable price and donate it...very interesting.

• Members

Yes, and what organizations would that be?

How would i know?

You probably have your own organizations whereever you are from - just find one that seems generally trustworthy.

...of course, if you don't trust any organizations at all, there is no need for you to donate anything. Sad world view you have then...

Archived